The Post Your Thoughts of the Moment Thread 2

Started by Harvest, February 22, 2008, 12:40:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian

Quote from: SlowPokemon on November 11, 2014, 12:04:20 PMI type really fast but I don't really follow a system. Just the result of several years typing.
Yeah. Me too.

FireArrow

Quote from: Zunawe on November 11, 2014, 11:15:39 AMSimply hunting and pecking is much less common than I think it used to be. I do, however, know multiple people with their own style of typing similar to it. One friend in particular only uses the first three fingers on each hand for characters, his thumb for spaces, and his pinkies for shift/ctrl. He types at a slightly above average speed.

I have a fast typing speed and I only use my pointer and middle fingers (for characters, thumbs on spacebar and pinky for shift/enter/backspace.) When I try to type the proper way, I'm slow as hell.
Quote from: Dudeman on January 23, 2017, 05:35:59 PM
straight from the department of redundancy department

K-NiGhT

Quote from: FierceDeity on November 10, 2014, 09:53:25 PMUnrelated double post, but the title text of the last xkcd comic got me interested in the difference between QWERTY and dvorak, and while I still don't really have an opinion on which is superior (from the information I've seen, apparent advantages of either could likely be explained by variables external to their actual setup), a lot of discussions I saw tended to distinguish between "touch-typing" and "hunt-and-peck" typing for either. And I'm really curious now; is "hunt-and-peck" (i.e. needing to frequently look down at/search for the keys while typing) actually common for people who've been typing somewhat regularly for several years? Like, sure, I'll look down occasionally for the more obscure character that I haven't used in months (so basically just ^ and &), but I haven't actually needed anything more than the marks on the F and J keys as a point of reference for quite some time now. (Though now that I'm actually thinking about it, I notice that I do instinctively check from time to time, albeit without interrupting my rhythm)
I thought "hunt-and-peck" was called "seek-and-destroy"
Quote from: K-NiGhT on April 11, 2024, 11:54:48 AMwow, 20 years

*crumbles into dust and blows away in the wind*

FierceDeity

Quote from: Zunawe on November 11, 2014, 11:15:39 AMSimply hunting and pecking is much less common than I think it used to be. I do, however, know multiple people with their own style of typing similar to it. One friend in particular only uses the first three fingers on each hand for characters, his thumb for spaces, and his pinkies for shift/ctrl. He types at a slightly above average speed.

To be fair, I don't use my pinkies or thumbs for too much more than that, yet my typing speed consistently hovers around 100WPM or so (top 0.5%, get on my level).

Quote from: FireArrow on November 11, 2014, 12:26:36 PMI have a fast typing speed and I only use my pointer and middle fingers (for characters, thumbs on spacebar and pinky for shift/enter/backspace.) When I try to type the proper way, I'm slow as hell.

Huh. What do you do with your ring fingers O.o

K-NiGhT

Kman96

On the subject of typing, I'll say that I was never very good at it during like 4th grade or so when they tried to have us all do drills and things. Over the years, I've slowly grown accustom to the keys, and so I'm no longer a "hunt-and-peck(er)" (lol @ "seek-and-destroy"). I'm not the best, but I've certainly improved over the years. It just sort of came naturally.

One of the first things they told us while doing typing drills was that piano players would have the easiest time with it because their fingers are already used to the constant movements, etc.
Party Hard!
[close]

FireArrow

Quote from: FierceDeity on November 11, 2014, 01:04:01 PMHuh. What do you do with your ring fingers O.o

They just kinda float around doing nothing. ^_^

This discussion brought back weird memories. There was this one obese kid I had in on of my elementary school classes. One day during a typing lesson the teacher told us no to hunt-and-peck. With tears in his eyes, this kid raised his hand and said something along the lines of "But I have to hunt and peck! If I try to type normal, then I fall backwards out of my chair and everyone laughs at me!" This eventually translated into an emotional debate about how the teacher was ignoring his special needs by trying to teach him to type correctly.

Does being fat even effect how you type, becuase I remember my 10yo self sitting there like lolwut.
Quote from: Dudeman on January 23, 2017, 05:35:59 PM
straight from the department of redundancy department

K-NiGhT

I doubt it was because the kid was fat he probably just didn't know how to type.

Also, not to brag or anything but I am a freakin boss at typing I typed 50000 words in a month one time

braix

It was really easy for me to learn how to type the 'right way'. I was never a 'hunt-n-pecker', so maybe that's why?
Quote from: MaestroUGC on August 19, 2015, 12:22:27 PMBraixen is a wonderful [insert gender] with beautiful [corresponding gender trait] and is just the darlingest at [stereotypical activity typically associated with said gender] you ever saw.

FierceDeity

K-NiGhT

Yugi

brb going to make the epic journey of fiecedeity-senpai my nanowrimo story

Ruto

I didn't even know there was a way to describe typing like that o_O

Well anyway I wouldn't say I'm that fast, but it seems that when I have my laptop out during a lecture I can keep up with my professor talking and still have my eyes on the board. Every other time, I'm like...ehh.

Typing lessons back when I was a kid were just annoying. The proper way sucks...it could also have been the crappy keyboards we all had to use.

I seem to be missing a piece of my ear.

mikey

I guess I'm a pretty good typist and like when I make a mistake I don't have to look at what I'm typing to correct it I just know how to fix it with my fingers
unmotivated

MaestroUGC

I don't make misteaks.

Paid for by Typists for America, Maestro 2028
Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.