News:

Congratulations!! You, yes, YOU, dear user, have been selected for the "You Read This News Item" award! Click here for your prize!!

Main Menu

The Post Your Thoughts of the Moment Thread 2

Started by Harvest, February 22, 2008, 12:40:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KefkaticFanatic

What you're mostly supposed to get about it is that ln(N!) ≈ NlnN - N, especially with very large N :P

Note that this, like the gamma function, can get you factorials of non-integers, which is kind of weird so don't try to think about it too much.

me irl
[close]

Bloop

mikey

You should have used MATLAB and made a vector script.
Would have solved it in a few minutes tops.
unmotivated

Zunawe

Quote from: KefkaticFanatic on October 24, 2014, 12:45:33 AMThat's because you shouldn't be doing that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stirling%27s_approximation
The goal of the program is just to handle big numbers, not specifically to calculate factorials of them. This is just what I did when I got bored and wanted to see how long it would take.

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on October 24, 2014, 06:22:49 AMYou should have used MATLAB and made a vector script.
Would have solved it in a few minutes tops.
Only if it can create a theoretically infinitely large number not stored in an array.
You know you've been playing too much Dragon Quest when you're afraid your Hershey's Kisses are going to flee.

I program things

braix

Quote from: MaestroUGC on August 19, 2015, 12:22:27 PMBraixen is a wonderful [insert gender] with beautiful [corresponding gender trait] and is just the darlingest at [stereotypical activity typically associated with said gender] you ever saw.

SlowPokemon

Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

K-NiGhT

Quote from: K-NiGhT on April 11, 2024, 11:54:48 AMwow, 20 years

*crumbles into dust and blows away in the wind*

braix

Quote from: MaestroUGC on August 19, 2015, 12:22:27 PMBraixen is a wonderful [insert gender] with beautiful [corresponding gender trait] and is just the darlingest at [stereotypical activity typically associated with said gender] you ever saw.

Ruto

Quote from: KefkaticFanatic on October 24, 2014, 01:50:55 AMWhat you're mostly supposed to get about it is that ln(N!) ≈ NlnN - N, especially with very large N :P

Note that this, like the gamma function, can get you factorials of non-integers, which is kind of weird so don't try to think about it too much.

Ooh put this in the math thread xD

I seem to be missing a piece of my ear.

Nebbles

I'm actually working on arranging something. It's exciting.
Quote from: Dudeman on April 13, 2016, 04:54:04 PM
- Nebbles, the beauty with the heart of frozen steel

FireArrow

Quote from: Dudeman on January 23, 2017, 05:35:59 PM
straight from the department of redundancy department

Nebbles

I will. It'll take a bit, but god dammit it's gonna get done.

Bubbles

give me some of that arranging motivation ugh

Nebbles

The Deku Trombonist

Apparently Rolling Stones + opening night of opera = worst attendance here at an opening night in living memory. Hopefully it picks up not that I even get to see the audience...