News:

The monkeys are up to something...

Main Menu

The Post Your Thoughts of the Moment Thread 2

Started by Harvest, February 22, 2008, 12:40:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SlowPokemon

Probably 3D World because it's bigger but Kirby s got a fabulous soundtrack too and you can't go wrong with either.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

Olimar12345

Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

MaestroUGC

Speaking as someone who does not like video game music in the slightest, Super Mario 3D World has the better soundtrack.
Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.

Jompa

Birdo for Smash

braix

Supet Mario 3D World because Olimar says so
Quote from: MaestroUGC on August 19, 2015, 12:22:27 PMBraixen is a wonderful [insert gender] with beautiful [corresponding gender trait] and is just the darlingest at [stereotypical activity typically associated with said gender] you ever saw.

mikey

At this point I'm thinking UCLA.
Any advice (besides obviously getting tons of money first @DrP)
unmotivated

FierceDeity

Do well in school
Do well on the SAT
Do well on the ACT
Take whatever SAT subject tests you've taken relevant classes for (also do well on them)
Write good essays for your applications
Do whatever extracurricular stuff is most relevant to your desired major (if you have one; if not, do charity work)
And did I mention do well

Seriously though, like, people ask me how I got into the school I did, with the scholarship I did
And idk what the hell they expect
"Do sorta alright in high school then wing it from there"
It really shouldn't be a secret at this point. It may seem somewhat mysterious to what degree schools weigh different aspects of your history/application, and there are different ways to go about these specific aspects (how to study for SATs, etc.) but these aspects themselves are pretty clear. Just do as well as you can, in as much as you can. That's it.

FireArrow

I'm kinda curious, do colleges care more about advanced/AP classes or good grades? I've heard things like "A C in AP History is better than an A in regular" but the high school counselors seem to completely disagree.
Quote from: Dudeman on January 23, 2017, 05:35:59 PM
straight from the department of redundancy department

SlowPokemon

They literally only care about your GPA. I wish I had never taken an AP class.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

FireArrow

Quote from: Dudeman on January 23, 2017, 05:35:59 PM
straight from the department of redundancy department

KefkaticFanatic

Depends.  Some care more about extracurriculars and essays even than GPA, but I've been often told that advanced courses will benefit you.  Of course, if you do shit in them then yea it wouldn't look great, but if you managed something like 3.7 when you could have gotten 4.0 in generic classes you would likely end up ok.

EDIT: In regards to your specific example, I would say a C in any class is always bad, so the fact that it was AP is irrelevant.  Getting a few B might be acceptable, but dropping to C is problematic.

But o boy, hi skool lyfe already seems like long ago :P

me irl
[close]

Zunawe

GPA is not at all the only thing colleges look at. It's significant, but far from the deciding factor. They would much rather see a B in AP Literature than an A in English IV (or any equivalent courses). Find a balance between challenging yourself and doing well.

Basically, 3.5 with no AP/IB/Honors ≠ 3.5 with more difficult courses. Just don't sacrifice your grades to look "studious". Also note that the more prestigious the school is, the more likely it is they won't look at your weighted GPA at all.
You know you've been playing too much Dragon Quest when you're afraid your Hershey's Kisses are going to flee.

I program things

FierceDeity

No yeah, of course they care about higher level courses. I forgot to mention, AP/IB tests are crucial if you have the courses available to you. If you get a B in the class, but a 5 on the AP test, that's way better than taking a CP (Idk your guys' names for "average" level classes) and getting an A, whether or not you use weighted GPA. Hell, I got a C in the hardest math class I ever took in high school, but then I got a 770 on the math portion of the SAT and a 760 on the math 2 subject test, so it definitely paid off over the CP class (in which every test was take-home, so none of the knowledge actually had to be retained). It also made AP stats easy as fuck in comparison, which is how I got a 5 without studying. The point is, they actually care about what you know, not just your grades; and if harder classes will help you demonstrate what you know better on tests, then getting a letter grade or two lower isn't always the end of the world.

Seriously, AP is 100% worth it.

Maelstrom

Another tip: Don't coast on your senior year like everyone else. Instead, dual enroll with the nearest college. That looks great on a college application.

Sebastian

Quote from: MaestroUGC on October 19, 2014, 07:42:17 AMSpeaking as someone who does not like video game music in the slightest
Why are you here then?