News:

Up-to-date news?! Preposterous!

Main Menu

The Post Your Thoughts of the Moment Thread 2

Started by Harvest, February 22, 2008, 12:40:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zunawe

So, when I get bored, I start messing around with math and stuff to see how messed up things are. For example, Deal or No Deal, as you would expect, never offers what it should. I have never seen the banker offer more than half of what the contestant's case is worth. Ultimately, that doesn't matter to the contestant ($28,000 is quite a bit of money if there's a chance you'll only win $5), but to all contestants collectively, they're not offered nearly enough for their case.

Also, in the game Neverwinter Online, there's a system built around crafting stuff and hiring people. It's kinda like waiting games (i.e. Clash of Clans, Dragonvale, etc...) but requires less attention.
More in-depth explanation
You can upgrade the crafters you hire to be able to make better stuff. And of course, being a free mmo, hiring crafters and upgrading crafters takes 18 hours each, and you can do a maximum of 9 of these things at a time. Upgrading a crafter requires 4 of the previous tier of crafters. So to make a tier 2 crafter, you need to hire 4 tier 1 crafters (18 hours to hire each) and then upgrade them (another 18 hours). This can be done in 36 hours with 4 slots, but when you get to higher tier crafters, the 9 slot limit makes this take forever, and you start to require a ton of crafters (highest tier requires a total of 256 tier 1 crafters to be upgraded).
[close]
Through a complex currency and rush system, you can immediately get 9 top tier crafters by spending real money. Nobody is going to do this because it seems expensive in the first place. However, I was curious.

It would take 340 hours to go from zero crafters to 9 top tier crafters if all 9 slots were working full time (3,060 hours divided by the 9 slots). The total cost in USD to rush every single of those 3,060 hours is $4,406.40.

Anyway, that's what boredom looks like for me. It's also fun to see how messed up in-game economies are sometimes. But that's another long post.
You know you've been playing too much Dragon Quest when you're afraid your Hershey's Kisses are going to flee.

I program things

Dude

mikey

unmotivated

Ruto

Quote from: Zunawe on July 22, 2014, 11:49:48 PMtext

Ha I don't even watch that show. I like large number sets though. Visualizing data and stuff.

I seem to be missing a piece of my ear.

Bloop

I should give up on ever attempting to make a friend understand how music is better than lyrics/lyrics doesn't make a song good ,_, (in my opinion, that is)

braix

Quote from: Bloop on July 23, 2014, 01:47:53 PMI should give up on ever attempting to make a friend understand how music is better than lyrics/lyrics doesn't make a song good ,_, (in my opinion, that is)
A lot of good music has no lyrics.
Quote from: MaestroUGC on August 19, 2015, 12:22:27 PMBraixen is a wonderful [insert gender] with beautiful [corresponding gender trait] and is just the darlingest at [stereotypical activity typically associated with said gender] you ever saw.

Bloop

Quote from: zoroark1264 on July 23, 2014, 01:54:25 PMA lot of good music has no lyrics.
Ikr? But he calls me a prick and disrespectful because I said I didn't care about lyrics (after he started about what some rappers write songs about) :l

I could make a long ass post about this but I won't ,_,

SuperFireKirby

In vocal music, I will greatly disagree with you on this. The vocalist is the center piece of almost every song, and generally the focus of the listener. What they say definitely matters. If the lyrics are shitty(see: 95% of pop music) generally the music is shitty.

I actually can't think of any artists off the top of my head that write bad music but brilliant lyrics. Usually where you find one, you also get the other.

NINJA'D: Wait, so if the music lacks any words, he considers it a bad song? Jesus, what a close-minded idiot.

Quote from: Mashi on March 26, 2013, 05:54:37 PMAfter viewing both FMA:Brotherhood and Naruto Shippuden, it would be frivolous to even consider watching an anime as unbearably mediocre as Melancholy. NARUTOxHINATA 4 LYFE!!!

Bloop

Quote from: SuperFireKirby on July 23, 2014, 02:02:08 PMIn vocal music, I will greatly disagree with you on this. The vocalist is the center piece of almost every song, and generally the focus of the listener. What they say definitely matters. If the lyrics are shitty(see: 95% of pop music) generally the music is shitty.
For me, the vocalist just brings the melody into the song. I don't even know the lyrics of more than half of what I listen, and from the other half I do know the lyrics from, I don't even know what they mean. There's this song from Dream Theater called Vacant that has simple lyrics, but the music is just so emotional, you don't need to know what happens to know how the vocalist feels.

Quote from: SuperFireKirby on July 23, 2014, 02:02:08 PMNINJA'D: Wait, so if the music lacks any words, he considers it a bad song? Jesus, what a close-minded idiot.
That's not what I meant (I think he does, anyway. Unsustainable and Isolated System from Muse are instrumental and he likes those). He thinks I disrespect the people who has gone through a lot of stuff and make lyrics about that, although I said I do respect them, but I just don't care about lyrics to make a good song.

Bubbles

I don't think lyrics matter at all as long as the vocals are good. It still has to flow with the song but the words themselves don't have much effect on me.

FierceDeity

I agree to an extent, but lyrics about stupid, superficial things still tend to ruin a song for me, no matter how well they flow. Imagine a beautiful melody with lyrics about fecal matter.

Maelstrom

Quote from: FierceDeity on July 23, 2014, 03:23:47 PMI agree to an extent, but lyrics about stupid, superficial things still tend to ruin a song for me, no matter how well they flow. Imagine a beautiful melody with lyrics about fecal matter.
^

SlowPokemon

Lyrics are fine, but if you like a song solely for the lyrics I probably hate you. Almost everything that's popular is mediocre phoned-in music accompanied by lyrics (which are all anyone seems to care about). I don't care if they're clever or even the best lyrics on earth. If the music isn't good, the song sucks.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

MaestroUGC

The art of song writing is dying a slow and painful death. The words and music should work together to create a cohesive experience. The music should reflect or otherwise support the words and the words need to be able to form to the shape and flow of the music.

There's generally a disconnect between composers and lyricists if they don't actually work together or if they aren't the same person. In a song writing team (a good one) they will work together to make the words and music work with and for each other; altering a phrase of music to better fit the prose, changing some words to allow more dynamic expression, etc.

We really don't get that these days (with possibly a few exceptions) because most lyrics are vapid, generic, and impersonal (if not down right insulting) and most music is generally a cut-and-paste assault on the ears.
Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.

Ruto

I seem to be missing a piece of my ear.