The Post Your Thoughts of the Moment Thread 2

Started by Harvest, February 22, 2008, 12:40:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clanker37

Quote from: Ruto on January 29, 2014, 05:16:14 PMHuh maybe you can talk to the manager about donating the food to a food bank? :(
Oh please. KFC being a humanitarian? Besides most of the chicken is already awful. But that doesn't stop them cooking 36 more pieces (The equivalent of 4 actual chickens) so they can sell 5 pieces...
Quote from: SlowPokemon on January 29, 2014, 07:00:21 PMI hate when people try to talk to me while I'm playing the piano. Most fucking annoying thing ever. It's not like I can just set my hands on autopilot and have a conversation.
This a million times.

DrP

Quote from: SlowPokemon on January 29, 2014, 07:00:21 PMAnd yeah I hate people talking about the weather. I personally need a little more brain stimulation than precipitation can provide.
But what about the fact that the water supply for 53,000,000 people may dissipate leaving them thirsty!!

But NEW NEWS!

Nintendo is planning on licensing their IP (Intellectual Property) to 3rd parties!! So this means we will see a lot more Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, etc.. in non-nintendo situations.

Perhaps a Pikmin movie made by Pixar or a Mother movie from Studio Ghibli

Or even a new LoZ TV Series! This opens up so many things!

MaestroUGC

I've never had a problem talking while playing the piano, but there's a clear difference in quality whenever I'm actually focusing on playing.
Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.

BlackDragonSlayer

Putting this in spoilers so it doesn't disrupt the rest of the thread
Quote from: Ruto on January 29, 2014, 05:16:14 PMIt isn't possible to develop all the land on Earth and have it still be habitable. You have to leave some so at least animals and plants are able to live in them too.
Quote1. Efficiency can only take you so far. Do you know the laws of thermodynamics? The most efficient process I know of is ATP synthesis and that's still less than 40%. If we can get that kind of efficiency in everything we do, we would be really lucky, but eventually it's going to wind down like everything else. Inaction by itself won't solve much, but admitting there's a problem is always a first step...but it won't be possible for everything to be what it was 50 years ago.
Quote2. Resources are being strained because they're finite.
All of these statements are quite obvious and already known to me (the third statement especially out of all of them- how much of a fool do you think I am?)- they're already factored into everything that I've already said.
Also, with the second statement, I don't think you quite understood what I was saying... I was talking about general overuse (inefficient usage) of resources we already have, which is definitely something that can be improved (especially if we get to the point where we're using more renewable energy sources than nonrenewable). Also, you seem to be under the impression that I'm saying it's possible to make every resource we have unlimited (or practically so), in which case, you are merely misguiding yourself.

Quote*facepalm* I don't think you know much at all about how we get energy. If people have resorted to mining oil from sand or drilling protected lands, I would say we're reaching the bottom of the barrel.
I've never heard about a majority of companies doing that- while it is being done (due to rising oil prices), there are still plenty reserves of oil that haven't even started to be mined yet (not that we should, but it's available if we haven't progressed much on other energy sources).
Don't just assume I don't know what the hell I'm talking about (which most people seem to do- I'm young, but I'm not dumb)! I just don't listen to only one source! :P This article, though, is a particularly good one that addresses many aspects of the debate.

QuoteNone of your solutions are feasible based on what we know.
This statement is untrue- it's merely an unsupported generic statement that you could literally use for anybody something says to disregard their arguments.

QuoteWe can't drill for ice in Europa or Halley's comet, etc.
I never said we're at that point yet, and using that as an argument is rather desperate. However, this goes back to an earlier statement about funding to space travel/exploration so we can get to that point sometime in the future ("sometime" being anywhere from 10-100+ years depending on our progress).

QuoteIt's not possible. Everyone would be choking in their own sewage.
Sewage systems... and also, I have a feeling you didn't actually read beyond my first sentence. Recall that I said this:
QuoteGranted, life there probably wouldn't be very good, because of other factors... Again, I say, it's very possible to do, just not entirely feasible at all!

QuoteHow will you make rocket fuel to reach something that far?
This... but if you express a high doubt of us ever advancing beyond our current technological level, then there are other ways of procuring rocket fuel, just expensive in large quantities (obviously). Just in case you don't know about rocket fuel, or think I don't, since you seem to be operating on that assumption (that I don't know anything about rocket fuel or rather, don't know anything at all- keep in mind that this is the first example of an article about rocket fuel I quickly pulled up, rather than my only source, which you will doubtlessly be quick to assume :P).

QuoteYou are denying the problems by saying it won't be so bad, there will be enough oil, technology will get out of this mess just like every other mess...
You're doing the exact opposite of me- you're completely exaggerating the problems by expecting the absolute worst from every outcome instead of actually trying to do something or assuming that there will be people who do try something. While there are plenty of people who take no action, assuming everybody will is a complete fallacy. There's a difference between looking at something realistically and skewing your view to either side of spectrum (which nearly everybody does to some degree, but some more than others).
[close]

Quote from: Zunawe on January 29, 2014, 06:52:17 PMI find it difficult to speak whilst playing the piano. Somebody here can probably pull out some brain science about "multitasking" and such; I just find it odd every time I come across it.
Ah, yes; the same happens to me- I find it possible to do with really simple songs (like, really really simple), but with more difficult songs, I start speaking (or playing) like I forgot how to speak/play (which usually leads to choppy words and sentences, or an abundance of missed notes). :P

Quote from: DrP on January 29, 2014, 07:52:18 PMNintendo is planning on licensing their IP (Intellectual Property) to 3rd parties!! So this means we will see a lot more Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, etc.. in non-nintendo situations.

Perhaps a Pikmin movie made by Pixar or a Mother movie from Studio Ghibli

Or even a new LoZ TV Series! This opens up so many things!
Huh... well that's very interesting... I hope that doesn't turn out to be a bad thing...
And the moral of the story: Quit while you're a head.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

DrP

Quote from: BlackDragonSlayer on January 29, 2014, 08:10:13 PMHuh... well that's very interesting... I hope that doesn't turn out to be a bad thing...
They'll probably have an agreement and they will probably have to approve the final product (that's generally what happens in licensing agreements -- just boilerplate)

Ruto

Quote from: Clanker37 on January 29, 2014, 07:43:54 PMOh please. KFC being a humanitarian? Besides most of the chicken is already awful. But that doesn't stop them cooking 36 more pieces (The equivalent of 4 actual chickens) so they can sell 5 pieces...This a million times.

I'd hate to say this but you might want to think about smuggling. XD 4 chickens whole chickens is a lot to waste. Maybe you should tape a picture of a chicken to your notebook to remind you.

As long as Nintendo quality checks their derivative works, I think it could great...it would be nice to see a live action Zelda movie :P

I seem to be missing a piece of my ear.

SlowPokemon

Any college people here thinking about joining Amazon Student? For free you basically get six months of Amazon Prime, and if you choose to continue after that, it's basically Prime but cheaper.

Anyway, if any of you are, do it by clicking this link so I can get some money for referring you! ;o

http://www.amazon.com/gp/student/signup/info?ie=UTF8&refcust=WFN2ZBYOEA73AK7QARRVJWXD2A&ref_type=generic

Shameless self funding, but hey.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

KefkaticFanatic

I was under the impression that there was a rule for no referral links besides in signatures, but I guess not.

That is standard practice for most all forums I've seen though, so don't anyone else start thinking they should start making referral soliciting posts all over the place.  Just slap it in a sig.

Also note that the free trial WILL auto renew and charge you cash money once the 6 months are up, so remember to cancel unless you want to keep it.

me irl
[close]

Mashi

Oh, I didn't realise that the trial would do that automatically once it ended.  I'll be sure to note that, thanks, Kefka!

Waddle Bro

Quote from: KefkaticFanatic on January 30, 2014, 05:35:05 PMI was under the impression that there was a rule for no referral links besides in signatures, but I guess not.
cough has one in his own sig cough

DrP

Well, then, everyone..

Look at the last link in my sig (Robinhood)

It is a referral for a website/app that charges $0 Commission on Stock trades (usually it costs $7+ per Buy AND Sell).

All you do is enter your email and you'll be put on a waiting list. But it moves me up in the line!! (So please help me make money to get out of debt) -- and eventually you can get access and make money yourself (they are planning for a more widespread rollout at the end of the year).

KefkaticFanatic

Quote from: Waddle Bro on January 30, 2014, 08:35:39 PMcough has one in his own sig cough
Quote from: KefkaticFanatic on January 30, 2014, 05:35:05 PMbesides in signatures

And if you shouldn't make a post with the link, I would say posting to look at the signature link is just as bad and should be just as forbidden ::)

It's a standard rule everywhere else on the internet for good reason :P

me irl
[close]

Waddle Bro

Kman96

Quote from: KefkaticFanatic on January 31, 2014, 01:48:28 AMAnd if you shouldn't make a post with the link, I would say posting to look at the signature link is just as bad and should be just as forbidden ::)

It's a standard rule everywhere else on the internet for good reason :P
Well, kefka, here's a thought. What if someone one the forum was looking for a specific deal on a certain cite so that they could help benefit another member like slow? While a signature is good for the permanent placeholder link, but maybe there could be a separate three to people to post their initial offers and then give their link.

Does that make sense? It would just give the forum members a little more info about the particular special that is being offered on Amazon, or Dropbox like yourself.

Just an idea.
Party Hard!
[close]

Dude

Quote from: Kman96 on January 31, 2014, 07:06:12 AMIt would just give the forum members a little more info about the particular special that is being offered on Amazon, or Dropbox like yourself.
Wouldn't a quick google search solve that? -_-