The Post Your Thoughts of the Moment Thread 2

Started by Harvest, February 22, 2008, 12:40:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clanker37

Finnish is supposed to be one of the hardest languages to learn...

So based on that, I say Finnish!

FireArrow

^Nah, I think it's supposed to be somewhere in the middle.

I saw Finnish, becuase you know people that speak it.
Quote from: Dudeman on January 23, 2017, 05:35:59 PM
straight from the department of redundancy department

DrP

Jeg tror jeg vil lære finsk!
Luulen tulee oppia Suomen!

Ricky

Finnish is probably harder as it's not an indo-european language like almost all languages in Europe and some in Asia. So Danish would probably be easier and also more useful as if you know Danish well you also understand Swedish and Norwegian pretty well. I know Swedish well and Danish and Norwegian aren't so different. Danish sounds like Swedish but drunkier and Norwegian sounds like Swedish but more straight to the point, more edgy.

GaryOak

Quote from: DrP on July 09, 2013, 11:58:21 PMJeg tror jeg vil lære finsk!
Luulen tulee oppia Suomen!

I am so proud of you! (although you had 3 verbs in that 4-word sentence. Edit. Now that I think of it there's nothing wrong in that lol)
In Finnish hunting culture it is common for hunters to shoot everything that moves, sometimes even themselves.

Quote from: Saria
I love you. <3
Quote from: Bubbles
I love you
Quote from: Waddle Bro
<3 u2 Gary

Jompa

Birdo for Smash

FSM-Reapr

Quote from: DrP on July 09, 2013, 09:09:40 PMSo I'm thinking of learning a new language:

FINNISH or DANISH.

(Jamaha or FSM can't respond to this)
srry bro im doing it anyways

Ricky gtfo with your logic and lemme show you how it's done.

Well let's see which one would be the best language for you

Danish
+if you'd know Danish, you could pick up the princess of Denmark(assuming she'll break up at some point)
+you'd know how to ask where the amusement park much more easily than with English(this made me regret why schools never teach Danish)
+You'd know what they say in the television because the fucking dub everything when the Finnish use subtitles to avoid ruining the beautiful voice acting
+pastry
-æ ø å

Finnish
+Me(Me=Finnish "we", and by we I mean me and Jamaha, see what I did there)
+Not everybody know that Finland will conquer the world with our secretly developed nuclear weapons, so it'd be wise for you to know Finnish OH WHOOPS I'M NOT SUPPOSED TO SAY THAT AM I
+pretty cool words like "kissanpissa" and sentences like "vesihiisi sihisi hississä"
-can be too much awesome for some human brains to learn

Mashi

Finland is also known as the BA country in Scandinavia.

Also, Angry Birds.

FSM-Reapr

Mashi

Jamaha

Well, I wasn't allowed to comment but I'll do so anyway.

Realistically speaking Finnish isn't that useful a language unless you plan to move to Finland. It isn't spoken anywhere but here and the majority of Finns are capable of speaking English. So learning Finnish would be just out of curiosity, as its uses are very limited.

But since both Denmark and Finland are countries of about 5 million people, I don't see Danish being overly useful either. As a bonus, though, it sounds somewhat similar to Swedish and Norwegian, making it easier to learn them as well (or just to attempt talking Danish to Swedes and Norwegians). As a Germanic language it's probably easier for a native English speaker to learn, at least when compared to the Finno-Ugric Finnish.

So I'd say both are somewhat niche languages. Learn what interests you more unless you plan on moving to either of the two countries.

Jompa

Danish would be more useful in the sense that it is 95% identical to Norwegian and about 70% identical to Swedish, and therefore you'd be perfectly able to understand (and communicate with) people speaking those languages as well.
And as Jamaha said, it's way easier to learn Danish than Finnish, when you are a native English speaker.
Birdo for Smash

DrP

I know they are both niche languages (but so is Lithuanian -- even moreso!)

I want something different from the usual Romance language (though Portuguese is sounding more appealing) and NOT asian (seriously, I know WAY too many people that speak Japanese, Mandarin/Cantonese, Korean or Vietnamese).

I thought this might be a good change up.

And trust me, after going to Finland. I may want to move there! (But Switzerland is my number 1 -- because seriously, being taxed a marginal tax rate of 10% on making CHF 100 000 is fantastic.)

And I met someone who confused Sweden with Switzerland. I had a laugh.

spitllama

Quote from: DrP on July 15, 2013, 10:28:49 PMNOT asian (seriously, I know WAY too many people that speak Japanese, Mandarin/Cantonese, Korean or Vietnamese).

Usually the reason people learn languages is to speak it with other people ::)
Submissions Page
Currently using Finale 2012

Concerto No.20 in D minor