The Post Your Thoughts of the Moment Thread 2

Started by Harvest, February 22, 2008, 12:40:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nebbles

Exactly.

So, people should stop whining and be lucky that worse things didn't happen! I gotta record some more episodes soon, hm...
Quote from: Dudeman on April 13, 2016, 04:54:04 PM
- Nebbles, the beauty with the heart of frozen steel

blueflower999

Don't you dare stop, Nebbles! Your LPs are far too entertaining.  :D
Bulbear! Blueflower999

Nebbles

oh please who said I was stopping? I'm just lazy!

Yugi

So Nintendo is shutting down Lper channels or something?

SlowPokemon

Nothing like that. They're just claiming revenue of all LPs that currently make money from their videos.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

MaestroUGC

From what I can tell it's mostly their newer games, since those are the ones that they want to sell rather than people just getting the experience via Let's Play and not having to bother.
Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.

Nebbles

And I believe Pokemon games are safe too, since they'd have to go through The Pokemon Company.

MaestroUGC

The Pokémon Company is a subsidiary of Nintendo, so I wouldn't be too sure of that.

TheZeldaPianist275

Mashi, I have now started saying "frivolous" and "indubitably" regularly in my everyday language.  Thank you for spreading this infection.  It's awesome  :D

Nebbles

Quote from: MaestroUGC on May 20, 2013, 07:06:09 PMThe Pokémon Company is a subsidiary of Nintendo, so I wouldn't be too sure of that.

Mmm, true, it was just speculation a friend made.

Jamaha

Damn, I just spent a while trying to write something about this whole Nintendo-LP thing. In the end I just deleted it because I just couldn't write it well enough.

I really need to learn to express myself better.

MaestroUGC

I think it'll all be fine once the dust settles, and in the end Let's Play in general will be better for it.

Onionleaf

I suppose you're never safe once you start earning revenue off of another person's idea. But honestly, I don't think there would even be a YouTube if companies had taken copyright seriously from the very beginning..

And on a completely random topic:
That awkward moment when you pick up your mum's cellphone and start to stupidly poke the screen b/c you're so used to having a touch phone.
Maybe that is the reason why there are so many fingerprints on the computer screens on campus. Hmm..

Roz~

Quote from: MaestroUGC on May 20, 2013, 02:03:44 PMI'm sorry, but anybody who thinks that "Playing Video Games for the Internet" would give them any sort of job security in the future are f****** morons.

Let's Playing is a hobby, and I don't feel sorry for people who put all of their options into this one basket; something like this was bound to happen sooner or later. Is Nintendo being a bit dickish about it? Sure, a little, but at the same time so are the people who are profiting off of content they didn't make. You can't honestly tell me that talking over a product somebody else made is enough to change the original to be able to call it yours.

In fact, I think this is a good thing, since a lot of the terrible LPers are the people who just cam-whore for money, with little to no meaningful content. People who obviously begging for views to where it becomes about them, not the game, which is what Let's Plays are all about. With any luck these people will just fade away.

On the flipside, Nintendo could've handled it better, but they did do much better than SEGA did when they shut down channels wholesale with anything regarding Shining Ark. If anything they could split the profits, but you are insane that the LPer will receive the larger portion of the profits than Nintendo.

It's really quite simple, Let's Play would not exist without the Games.

Also, the Runaway Guys (Notably ProtonJon of Something Awful fame) have gone on record and said they won't stop Let's playing. People like that are the LPs I prefer watching. They're in it for the fun of it all, not the money.

I love you.

Also guys, are you aware that there's a clause in the Youtube's Partnership contract that mentions someone cannot make money by using someone else's intellectual property? Technically, Nintendo/Youtube are just applying that policy. I'm not saying they did the right thing, but Nintendo has the right to issue content ID match like they're doing. And as Maestro said, people thinking they can do LPs and live off of that are morons.
Quote from: MaestroUGC on February 13, 2013, 01:16:55 PM
Thanks. For a moment there I was worried, though. I almost needed to blow you.

SlowPokemon

Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.