News:

Iron gates are a thing of the past! Now, you can access your yard with the all-new NinSheetMusic-brand Teleportation Technology!

Main Menu

The Post Your Thoughts of the Moment Thread 2

Started by Harvest, February 22, 2008, 12:40:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nebbles

People are assholes. Can't do anything about it.
Quote from: Dudeman on April 13, 2016, 04:54:04 PM
- Nebbles, the beauty with the heart of frozen steel

BlackDragonSlayer

Quote from: Nebbles on May 17, 2013, 04:00:19 PMPeople are assholes. Can't do anything about it.
I agree with the first statement, but not the second; if we have that mindset, then there IS nothing we can do about it (which is probably one of the reasons it has become a prevalent problem...).
And the moral of the story: Quit while you're a head.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

Concerto No.20 in D minor

No there is totally no way we can do anything about it.  It's over.  Nothing.

BlackDragonSlayer

Quote from: Concerto No.20 in D minor on May 17, 2013, 07:43:03 PMNo there is totally no way we can do anything about it.  It's over.  Nothing.
If nobody thought like that, we could do something about it (though, there will always be some people who will think like that).

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

Concerto No.20 in D minor

No, there will never be anyone that always thinks like that.  Everyone will at one point realize that sometimes they need to be better at ignoring the issue at hand.

FSM-Reapr

BlackDragonSlayer

Quote from: Concerto No.20 in D minor on May 17, 2013, 08:14:30 PMNo, there will never be anyone that always thinks like that.  Everyone will at one point realize that sometimes they need to be better at ignoring the issue at hand.
That is awfully pessimistic.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

KefkaticFanatic

It's more called learning to cope with reality, an essential life skill.

me irl
[close]

BlackDragonSlayer

Quote from: KefkaticFanatic on May 17, 2013, 09:18:29 PMIt's more called learning to cope with reality, an essential life skill.
Coping with reality ≠ Extreme pessimism and/or apathy

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

Nebbles

Well, there are people who can sadly never change. People who are narrow-minded and spiteful and mean and if you try it could still amount to nothing.

Some people are just pieces of shit. I've learned this the hard way. And as Kefka said, you just gotta cope.

Ricky

So in summary, some people do change and others don't bother or want?

Nebbles

Yeah. You can try and make people better. But that doesn't mean it'll work.

BlackDragonSlayer

Quote from: Nebbles on May 17, 2013, 11:39:22 PMWell, there are people who can sadly never change. People who are narrow-minded and spiteful and mean and if you try it could still amount to nothing.

Some people are just pieces of shit. I've learned this the hard way. And as Kefka said, you just gotta cope.
Yes, so we should all not care and do nothing about it, even when we can. These are examples of apathy (two seperate links); a bit of a stretch, yes, but the same general idea (essentially, doing nothing about something you can do something about is most certainly not "coping").

There are people who are spiteful and narrow-minded (I never recall denying that in the first place), but you should not let yourself become that way- and the behavior of people you CAN influence (this especially applies to the original situation mentioned by Ricky; although he himself might not be able to do anything about it, the parents, family members, and even friends of the children need to teach them proper manners...).

Now, please excuse me if I'm getting way off the topic, but this applies to life itself: Too many people- people my age, as a prime example- think things like, "Oh, I'm only a teenager; I doubt that I can do anything, so I might as well not even try! I surely can't serve as a positive role model for anybody, because they won't care that I'm doing good things."

Perhaps, to provide an adequate summary... have you ever heard of The Star Thrower?

Quote from: Nebbles on May 18, 2013, 12:16:37 AMYeah. You can try and make people better. But that doesn't mean it'll work.
From what you have said, I can gather that you're saying something to the effect of: 'you can't change everybody, so you might as well not try to.' Which is pessimistic to the point of being irrational.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

FireArrow

BDS - you got to ask yourself, is it worth your time trying to change other peoples behaviors or is it better doing something else? I vote for the latter.
Quote from: Dudeman on January 23, 2017, 05:35:59 PM
straight from the department of redundancy department

BlackDragonSlayer

Quote from: FireArrow on May 18, 2013, 12:50:46 AMBDS - you got to ask yourself, is it worth your time trying to change other peoples behaviors or is it better doing something else? I vote for the latter.
I believe it is said that "you miss 100 percent of the shots you never take"??

Who is to say that there wasn't somebody in the person's (the person who you are trying to change) life who said (when they were growing up) "to hell with it; they're never going to be a good kid" and just left them to the wolves, when THEY could have done something (they, the people with the exact same mindset as you)?
I re-state my original point for emphasis: Apathy and coping are not the same things; you are confusing the two. Coping is, as an example: "This rock is stuck in the hill; even all of us together can't move it at all." Apathy is, as an example: "This heavy rock won't move; I could gather up more people to move it, but that would take too long, and we might not even be successful... the rock might be stuck."

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber