News:

Iron gates are a thing of the past! Now, you can access your yard with the all-new NinSheetMusic-brand Teleportation Technology!

Main Menu

The Post Your Thoughts of the Moment Thread 2

Started by Harvest, February 22, 2008, 12:40:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KefkaticFanatic

SCIENCE small talk is best small talk though :D

me irl
[close]

dahans

Oh my... it feels like ages ago since I have last posted here.... I AM SORRY :S
Check out my arrangements! I mean it! Check them out!

Toby

I can't study, how to study?

Someone help me with gradients and straight lines and stuff

MaestroUGC

Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.

Toby

Sorta, like Gradient m = y= mx+c

and y intercept stuff

blueflower999

It was always Y=MX+B for me.  :P

BTW, does anyone know what M and B stand for? Like I know that M is the slope and B is the Y intercept, but why M and B? Why not S for slope and I for intercept? Why such random letters?
Bulbear! Blueflower999

Sir Dino

Quote from: blueflower999 on March 07, 2013, 01:44:33 PMIt was always Y=MX+B for me.  :P

BTW, does anyone know what M and B stand for? Like I know that M is the slope and B is the Y intercept, but why M and B? Why not S for slope and I for intercept? Why such random letters?
same.

m is the slope, b is the y-intercept?

Toby

My math teachers a weirdo though so yeh, also anyone know formulaes for 3D shapes? Got a test tomorro, aiming for 60%

Sir Dino

Quote from: The Boy Who Cried Wolf on March 07, 2013, 01:50:42 PMMy math teachers a weirdo though so yeh, also anyone know formulaes for 3D shapes? Got a test tomorrow, aiming for 110%
ftfy

It depends what you want, surface area, volume?

Toby

Mashi

The variables' letter names have been being used for centuries and haven't necessarily changed form.  The "m" and "b" for slope and y-intercept respectively may have originally been abbreviations for words.  After a bit of research, "m" may have once originally been an abbreviation for the French word "monter," which means to climb (just as slope is a point climbing through the graph) and "b" may have been derived from the Latin word "batenhi," which means intersection.

In reality though, the variable used really doesn't matter.  If one wanted to say that b=qw+f for y=mx+b, he/she would certainly be permitted to do so, as long as the proper numbers were substituted in (though, I don't think any teachers would enjoy that, so don't do that!).

And yes, which formulas for which shapes in particular, TheBoyWhoCriedWolf?  I could help you out with a few derivations too, so that you don't need to memorise them, if you would like.

Sir Dino

Not that you could google it, but:

Rectangular Prism: (L= length, W=width, H=height)
SA= 2LW + 2(L+W)H
V= LWH

Circular Prism: (π= pi. r=radius)
SA= 2πR² + 2πRH
V= πr²H

Triangular Prism: (b= base, l=length, S_1, S_2, S_3= sides that make up perimeter of base)
SA= bh + (S_1+ S_2 + S_3)H
V= 1/2bhl

volia~ hope that helped, Mashi pretty much covered the slope c:

Cobraroll

Volume of any regular shape: V = Int(Int(Int dx)dy)dz). With the appropriate limits, of course. Does only apply for Cartesian coordinates.

Of course, in most practical cases, you'll have a much easier body to find the volume of. Aamir covered most of it, but he forgot the common sphere: V = 4/3 * pi * R3. Surface area would be 4 * pi * R2 (yes, four times the area of a circle). Divide into halves as it suits you, just remember to add all the partial circles you get to the total surface area.
Emergence - a story exclusive to NSM

Yes, I'm still around from time to time. For quicker response, you can reach me by PM, or drop by Smogon to say hi. I go by "Codraroll" there, because of a bet.