News:

New to the site? Introduce yourself here!

Main Menu

The Post Your Thoughts of the Moment Thread 2

Started by Harvest, February 22, 2008, 12:40:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bubbles

Quote from: SlowPokemon on September 30, 2012, 04:48:16 PMAlso you should definitely post your thoughts on the story and game as you play it somewhere. I wish I could get amnesia and play the games again.
Im looking for the ramon or whatever guy (I related his name to ramen noodles, but I cant remember his real name :P) right now, and so far I love Luke. Hes that guy who points out the flaws in video games like "Were looking for a murderer and you're solving a puzzle about mice giving birth?".

MassiveMayhem

I got a new cat! Her name is Rogue, decided to stick with the x-men thing (my other cat is named Gambit). She's really cute, so I'll post pictures when she ever decides to stay still.
Arrangement Project? It's a maybe.

Bubbles

Quote from: MassiveMayhem on September 30, 2012, 05:52:55 PMI got a new cat! Her name is Rogue, decided to stick with the x-men thing (my other cat is named Gambit). She's really cute, so I'll post pictures when she ever decides to stay still.
*squeals* Please!

Bubbles

Sorry about the double post, but is there any way to easily (and quickly) learn about atoms' covalent/ionic/polar bondings? I was playing games so much I didnt realize I had a test tomorrow, and although its easy I realize I dont know the difference between them

BlackDragonSlayer

Quote from: Bubbles7689 on September 30, 2012, 07:36:09 PMSorry about the double post, but is there any way to easily (and quickly) learn about atoms' covalent/ionic/polar bondings? I was playing games so much I didnt realize I had a test tomorrow, and although its easy I realize I dont know the difference between them
There is a magical resource called Google, which often leads you to Yahoo Answers, where the knowledge of the community overflows, and helps you in times of need. Many people may already have the same questions.
And the moral of the story: Quit while you're a head.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

MassiveMayhem

I can tell you the jist of it all from what I remember in Chemistry class.

Ionic bonds are basically when two elements give and take electrons from each other to become stable.
Covalent bonds are basically when two elements share electrons to become one stable compound.
Polar bonding is related to covalent bondings, when two atoms of different charges can hold on to each other. Each element/atom has it's own charge, it's usually listed on the standard periodic table.

Now Covalent bonds usually only bond as gasses, so anything on the right side of the periodic table.

Here's a video I just found that might explain it better than me, but a heads up, this guy talks lame. haha

Ninja'd by DragonSlayer, who just said "use google pls"

<3

EDIT: Here's my new cat Rogue. :3

Zunawe

Ionic is easy enough. The net ionic charge has to be zero no matter what you have (LiCl; Li = +1, Cl = -1; +1 + -1 = 0). You would also multiply the charge by the number of those atoms (K2S; K * 2 = +1 * 2 = 2, S = -2; +2 + -2 = 0). There are also some special combinations that have their own specific charges, but I don't remember the names or what they're called.

Covalent bonds are usually between hydrogen and other elements. Hydrogen is special because it only has one electron in total, and if that is taken away it is no longer an atom. So, instead, the electron is shared between hydrogen and the thing it's attached to. Now, I used hydrogen as an example, but the bond is really just the sharing of electrons rather than the exchanging of electrons (which is ionic bonding).

We didn't go into polar bonds much last year, but I would suspect it has a lot to do with the magnetic charge on the sides of compounds.

[/chemistry lesson]
I'm fairly sure that's correct. Feel free to add or change if I missed something.

Argh, double ninja.
You know you've been playing too much Dragon Quest when you're afraid your Hershey's Kisses are going to flee.

I program things

Bubbles

Thanks :P. I tried google but yahoo answers usually isnt too reliable and everything else used complicated refrences and I couldnt understand half the words

Nebbles

Quote from: Dudeman on April 13, 2016, 04:54:04 PM
- Nebbles, the beauty with the heart of frozen steel

Zunawe

Lol. Chemistry math doesn't really seem to go much beyond algebra. There's probably some geometry in advanced stuff, and possibly calculus, but that's way past the bonding of atoms.

Also KITTEH!!!
You know you've been playing too much Dragon Quest when you're afraid your Hershey's Kisses are going to flee.

I program things

MassiveMayhem

Well I'm off to bed, but before I go, here's your final dosage of cuteness.
This is my other cat. He's Gambit

SuperFireKirby

Quote from: Zunawe on September 30, 2012, 08:08:59 PMLol. Chemistry math doesn't really seem to go much beyond algebra. There's probably some geometry in advanced stuff, and possibly calculus, but that's way past the bonding of atoms.

Also KITTEH!!!
Advanced chemistry math is awful. AP Chem is literally the hardest class I've ever taken. Calculus and Trig and Physics don't even compare.

Quote from: Mashi on March 26, 2013, 05:54:37 PMAfter viewing both FMA:Brotherhood and Naruto Shippuden, it would be frivolous to even consider watching an anime as unbearably mediocre as Melancholy. NARUTOxHINATA 4 LYFE!!!

Bubbles

Your cats are adorable. I hope theyre getting along :D

Zunawe

Quote from: SuperFireKirby on September 30, 2012, 08:13:06 PMAdvanced chemistry math is awful. AP Chem is literally the hardest class I've ever taken. Calculus and Trig and Physics don't even compare.
Physics is easy. That's probably just because I find it really cool, but I find it easy. Also, I think it's funny when people are baffled by how friction makes things move and how horizontal motion doesn't affect vertical motion.

I program things

Mashi

im going to post here before ruto does

Anyway, I disagree with the idea of using Google to answer your questions.  With the obvious fact of it not catering to the individual, asking questions promotes discussion here.  If we simply Googled everything we were unsure of, we wouldn't have much to discuss, would we?

Anyhow, Zunawe is mostly correct when he says that Ionic Compounds have a net charge of 0 (though, the individual Ions of the compound have either a positive (Metals) or negative (Non-Metals) charge).  There are exceptions in which Polyatomic Ions have positive or negative charges (I believe that OH- and H3O+ are what you'll learn of in Regents Chemistry) and need to form another Ionic Bond in order to neutralise, but Zunawe's definition of the charge being zero is correct.  Ionic Bonds are formed between Metals and Non-Metals (I believe the specific definition was a difference of Electronegativity of at least 1.9, but Metal and Non-Metal is the general rule).  Zunawe's examples are suitable and should be good references.

Covalent Bonds are bonds between two Non-Metals (or two elements with an Electronegativity less than 1.9).  The number of bonds formed are determined by how many more Valence Electrons are needed by each atom.  In Zunawe's example, Hydrogen needs 1 more electron to complete its Valence Set, while Oxygen needs two.  So in order to 'satisfy' both atoms, two Hydrogen atoms covalently bond with the Oxygen so that each Hydrogen share one electron with the Oxygen and the Oxygen shares two electrons in total.  It's also important to note that in Ionic Bonds, electrons are taken from the Metal (which then becomes a cation - an ion with a positive charge) and given to the Non-Metal (which then becomes an anion - an ion with a negative charge), whereas in a Covalent Bond, the electrons are shared.

Polar Bonds are bonds in which an atom in a molecule (a covalent compound; or a compound made up by covalent bonds) adopts a slightly negative or positive charge due to differences in Electronegativity.  In H2O, for example, the Hydrogens have less Electronegativity than the Oxygen, so the shared electrons have more affinity towards the Oxygen atom than the Hydrogen atoms, so the Oxygen adopts a slightly negative charge (since it has more electrons sometimes) and the Hydrogens have a slightly positive charge (since they have fewer electrons sometimes).

Also, SuperFireKirby, if I may ask, what about AP Chemistry do you find difficult?  How far are you into the course?  My classmates are also bickering about the difficulty, but I've yet to find anything abstruse at all yet.  I had much more trouble in AP Physics B at this point last year than I do in AP Chemistry at the moment.  I suppose it depends on which AP Science is taken first.