News:

Download Finale Notepad 2012 free here!

Main Menu

The Post Your Thoughts of the Moment Thread 2

Started by Harvest, February 22, 2008, 12:40:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shadoninja

Quote from: Nebbles on August 23, 2012, 04:39:10 PMGood news everyone, I finally downloaded Finale Notepad 2012!

Bad news is, I can't arrange for shit and have no idea how to start!
Try arranging by midi.
"And so my saga of quoting myself in everyone's signature continues" - dudeman

Nebbles

And how do I do that? I'm really bad at this, I'm so sorry...
Quote from: Dudeman on April 13, 2016, 04:54:04 PM
- Nebbles, the beauty with the heart of frozen steel

K-NiGhT

Quote from: K-NiGhT on April 11, 2024, 11:54:48 AMwow, 20 years

*crumbles into dust and blows away in the wind*

Nebbles

Well, I requested Deep Blooper Sea from Mario Party 3 a while ago and no one took it, so let's say I wanna try out that song.

spitllama

Arranging by midi is just opening up a MIDI file in Notepad. It makes a messy version of the arrangement that you can tweak and learn-by-doing. I've been looking for a midi of deep blooper sea and can't seem to find one though.

If you're really just interested in learning to arrange, just take a short arrangement that someone here has done, open their midi in notepad, and recreate it the best you can without looking at the other person's arrangement. Then compare afterwards!
Submissions Page
Currently using Finale 2012

Bubbles

Id try something esay first, like a song with only the right hand or vice versa. I started only a few or two ago so I know how you feel

Shadoninja

Quote from: Bubbles7689 on August 23, 2012, 04:57:52 PMId try something esay first, like a song with only the right hand or vice versa. I started only a few or two ago so I know how you feel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9ylthcRzdo

Nebbles

HG/SS Cinnabar Island? I'd love to learn that actually! Or arrange, whatever.

okay... is there a midi of this I can find somewhere?

Bubbles

Probably, but try arranging it yourself first. Its easier than you think, but you need patience

Nebbles

...I have no idea what time signature or key to put it in, either. This will be a long journey. ._.

Shadoninja

Quote from: Nebbles on August 23, 2012, 05:14:31 PM...I have no idea what time signature or key to put it in, either. This will be a long journey. ._.

Start with the beat.
Then figure out the tempo. using a tempo tapper helps. It's around quarter = 70.

spitllama

Start the video, and listen to where phrases of either melody or percussion take breaks. You'll naturally want to count it in a certain way (just try to count the Cinnabar tune in 3/4. I guarantee it won't feel right!). For the key signature, just keep it all in A major until you find that you're using certain accidentals a lot, then apply the change when you notice a pattern.
Submissions Page
Currently using Finale 2012

Bubbles

For the key signature, just start with c major and if theres a note that is always a sharp/flat change the signature (it changes all the notes though, so you need to move everything). For the tempo, I just start with 75 and place notes to the main tune of the song from how I hear it in my head, then I listen to the actual song and speed it up/slow it down

Bubbles

^Spit I find it easier to use c major since theres no sharps or flats and its easier to manage

Nebbles

Ermmm... okay.

This would be ten times easier if I had someone sitting next to me instead of trying to figure out everything from text...