News:

Rest in pepperoni, Mario Mario, 1981 - 2021
He will be missed by all, except for me! WARIO, NUMBER ONE!

Main Menu

The Post Your Thoughts of the Moment Thread 2

Started by Harvest, February 22, 2008, 12:40:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KefkaticFanatic

If you reaaaaaally want to spend 200% more than you would travelling anywhere else then ok

me irl
[close]

Mashi

That quote was from an inmate on death row and if what he states is true (which I nearly 100% do not believe.  A prison cell or prison room wouldn't have such amenities ever.  Such a quote is most likely propaganda and I'm very confident that the entirety of what he said was a colossal fib.  If possible, I would like to see a trustworthy resource for the context of the statement.) the conditions he served while waiting were extraordinarily aberrant.  Most prisoners on death row live in a single cell with a bed, sometimes a window, and nothing else.

Furthermore, I question the statistic in regard to money being spent per prisoner.  What does the money take into account?  Does it include the wages of the warden, prison guards, etc.?

DrP

I'd say someplace in Europe or Australia. Both places are relatively cheap (compared to Japan)... maybe perhaps China.

And for Disney World... seriously, with a large budget, I think you could do way better than Disney World... A city in a foreign country > Disney World/Disneyland

Quote from: Cobraroll on July 23, 2012, 01:46:18 PMDeath sentence doesn't exactly scream "civilised" now, does it? I mean, when you can throw him in one of those fantastic jails of yours forever?

Norway just marked the one-year anniversary of a very similar event, only that six times more people died and most of them were under 18. Yes, there were some cries for death sentence here too, but they silenced. One of the key fundamentals of a justice system is consistency. The terrorist is being judged by the laws that were in effect at the time of the misdeed. He's given treatment by the books. Sent through the system like any other criminal. He got his time to speak, then was shoved aside for other people to have their say. Most likely, he'll spend the remainder of his days in jail. Death is too easy. Isolation, having to live with the guilt (or lack thereof, the guy appears to be a cold bastard) for the rest of his life, being looked down upon from the rest of the society and with a prize on his head from the criminal gangs, is potentially worse.

Don't make the terrorist a martyr for his own cause. Let him rot in jail until forgotten instead.
If it were only that simple out here. The majority of the states and majority of Americans still believe that the death penalty is a valid way to sentence a murderer. States like California, Washington, Texas, Virginia and Colorado (and many others) carry out the death penalty, Texas having the most, followed by Virginia. If Colorado wants to put him away, it is up to a Federal Judge (or the judges en banc) in District 10 to figure it out. All the Feds can do is prosecute him under federal laws, but if he is tried at the state level (like right now), he is tried under the laws of the state. Whatever happens, the punishment will most certainly fit his crime. The families will probably want to see him dead, but that's up to the judge.

And for the record, it does cost more to administer the death penalty to a prisoner than to keep them in prison for life.

Clanker37

Quote from: DrP on July 23, 2012, 11:28:55 PMI'd say someplace in Europe or Australia. Both places are relatively cheap (compared to Japan)
lol nope. IDK about Europe but Australia is really expensive. What with the mining boom and everything.

DrP

Quote from: Clanker37 on July 24, 2012, 07:51:45 AMlol nope. IDK about Europe but Australia is really expensive. What with the mining boom and everything.
Japan is REALLLY expensive... like REALLYYYYY expensive.

The US is actually a legitimate cheaper place and everything.
Or maybe we can all meet in Brazil or Argentina! There we go, a place where we could be REALLY safe.

I do have to admit, Eastern Europe, too, is relatively cheaper than Western Europe. We can all meet in Prague. I know Ruto and I would instantly put our hands up!

SuperFireKirby

Are we having another NSM Get Together discussion? How about everyone just go to San Diego Comic Con next year. You'll see me there.

Quote from: Mashi on March 26, 2013, 05:54:37 PMAfter viewing both FMA:Brotherhood and Naruto Shippuden, it would be frivolous to even consider watching an anime as unbearably mediocre as Melancholy. NARUTOxHINATA 4 LYFE!!!

K-NiGhT

Quote from: K-NiGhT on April 11, 2024, 11:54:48 AMwow, 20 years

*crumbles into dust and blows away in the wind*

DrP

Quote from: SuperFireKirby on July 24, 2012, 09:31:52 AMAre we having another NSM Get Together discussion? How about everyone just go to San Diego Comic Con next year. You'll see me there.
You got tickets???

Quote from: K-NiGhT on July 24, 2012, 09:38:00 AMThat's so far away D:
It's closer than Prague!

Ragster

Quote from: Cobraroll on July 23, 2012, 01:46:18 PMDeath sentence doesn't exactly scream "civilised" now, does it? I mean, when you can throw him in one of those fantastic jails of yours forever?

Norway just marked the one-year anniversary of a very similar event, only that six times more people died and most of them were under 18. Yes, there were some cries for death sentence here too, but they silenced. One of the key fundamentals of a justice system is consistency. The terrorist is being judged by the laws that were in effect at the time of the misdeed. He's given treatment by the books. Sent through the system like any other criminal. He got his time to speak, then was shoved aside for other people to have their say. Most likely, he'll spend the remainder of his days in jail. Death is too easy. Isolation, having to live with the guilt (or lack thereof, the guy appears to be a cold bastard) for the rest of his life, being looked down upon from the rest of the society and with a prize on his head from the criminal gangs, is potentially worse.

Don't make the terrorist a martyr for his own cause. Let him rot in jail until forgotten instead.

I get what you're saying, but I really don't care about the terrorist. Hell, he could be dining with fine china and eating a huge juicy steak in his afterlife, I wouldn't give a damn. As long as he's off the face of the world, and as long as were not paying for his paradise in jail, everything's great. And yes, it is a paradise. A homeless man would probably convict a crime just to get into jail. Also, giving more death sentences would go as a warning to every other criminal out there.

Why spend so much money on convicted criminals? I might feel better if the money was spent more on weapons and the guards and warden, but paying for the criminals to eat three meals a day? Just wrong.

K-NiGhT

Cobraroll

QuoteA prison cell or prison room wouldn't have such amenities ever [color TV, books, naps at will, three hot meals a day, free medical coverage].

You'd be surprised to see a prison in the Nordic countries.

I think the American justice system is a lot more focused on punishment rather than prevention. The USA has more than 1/200 of its population in jail at any time (1.7 million people), that's far more than any comparable nation. Over here it's about 1/1200 (about 3000 inmates in a country of five million). It's the mentality of revenge that makes the system so expensive; the government has to pay so that every little criminal can have his fair share of miserability behind bars.

Also, as stated it is cheaper to put a guy in prison for life than executing him. It's a lot less red tape, less administrative costs and less media spetacle. Besides, he gets a lifetime to consider the things he's done, and a constant reminder that he could have been free for all those years if he simply hadn't.
Plus the extra treatment in the shower, if the urban legends are true.

Also, San Diego is a lot further away than Prague.
Emergence - a story exclusive to NSM

Yes, I'm still around from time to time. For quicker response, you can reach me by PM, or drop by Smogon to say hi. I go by "Codraroll" there, because of a bet.

K-NiGhT

Ruto

Quote from: Ragster on July 24, 2012, 09:59:36 AMWhy spend so much money on convicted criminals? I might feel better if the money was spent more on weapons and the guards and warden, but paying for the criminals to eat three meals a day? Just wrong.

You can't starve people in jail, that would be cruel and unusual. Feed them, but as long as it's something like school lunch without packaged cookies, it shouldn't be anything to envy.  I'm pretty sure more money is actually spent on security, those guys need to bring home a real salary too.

Quote from: K-NiGhT on July 24, 2012, 10:15:14 AMyeah but rutato was gonna pay for it.

XD yah exactly

I seem to be missing a piece of my ear.

spitllama

Lol Cobraroll.

At Boys State we had a prosecutor come and talk to us about his job and what he does etc. He told a story about a case he worked on where as soon as the "guilty" verdict came through, the convicted guy jumped across the table and attempted to attack him until security came in.

So at the sentencing a week later he put a jar of Vaseline on the table in front of the convict and said "have fun at prison!"
Submissions Page
Currently using Finale 2012

K-NiGhT