The Post Your Thoughts of the Moment Thread 2

Started by Harvest, February 22, 2008, 12:40:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ruto

Too bad that the part time jobs you get at this age doesn't pay that much :( One you get an office job (a well paying job) here, you'd only get 2 weeks vacation, tops. That makes teaching and getting 2 months off a year seems like a great deal...

If I win the lottery, I'd totally take all of you guys to Iceland or somewhere fun.

I seem to be missing a piece of my ear.

spitllama

Just found the smiley poop key on the iPhone keyboard. Bahahaha.
Submissions Page
Currently using Finale 2012

Ragster

That dumbass that shot all those people in Colorado had better get the death sentence. I'm tired of them sending all of these people to jail, when they clearly need to just get them off of this world.

Well, even if he does get the death sentence, it'll probably take a few months. This country is so... unorganized. We need to be more organized and more smart.

Nebbles

Quote from: Ruto on July 22, 2012, 09:11:33 PMToo bad that the part time jobs you get at this age doesn't pay that much :( One you get an office job (a well paying job) here, you'd only get 2 weeks vacation, tops. That makes teaching and getting 2 months off a year seems like a great deal...

If I win the lottery, I'd totally take all of you guys to Iceland or somewhere fun.

Man, if I won the lottery, I'd fly out everyone from NSM to some really great place, just as you said. You do Iceland, I'll do like Disney World or something.

Oh well. If only.
Quote from: Dudeman on April 13, 2016, 04:54:04 PM
- Nebbles, the beauty with the heart of frozen steel

Cobraroll

Quote from: Ragster on July 23, 2012, 09:21:03 AMThat dumbass that shot all those people in Colorado had better get the death sentence. I'm tired of them sending all of these people to jail, when they clearly need to just get them off of this world.

Well, even if he does get the death sentence, it'll probably take a few months. This country is so... unorganized. We need to be more organized and more smart.

Death sentence doesn't exactly scream "civilised" now, does it? I mean, when you can throw him in one of those fantastic jails of yours forever?

Norway just marked the one-year anniversary of a very similar event, only that six times more people died and most of them were under 18. Yes, there were some cries for death sentence here too, but they silenced. One of the key fundamentals of a justice system is consistency. The terrorist is being judged by the laws that were in effect at the time of the misdeed. He's given treatment by the books. Sent through the system like any other criminal. He got his time to speak, then was shoved aside for other people to have their say. Most likely, he'll spend the remainder of his days in jail. Death is too easy. Isolation, having to live with the guilt (or lack thereof, the guy appears to be a cold bastard) for the rest of his life, being looked down upon from the rest of the society and with a prize on his head from the criminal gangs, is potentially worse.

Don't make the terrorist a martyr for his own cause. Let him rot in jail until forgotten instead.
Emergence - a story exclusive to NSM

Yes, I'm still around from time to time. For quicker response, you can reach me by PM, or drop by Smogon to say hi. I go by "Codraroll" there, because of a bet.

SuperFireKirby

Quote from: Nebbles on July 23, 2012, 10:51:25 AMMan, if I won the lottery, I'd fly out everyone from NSM to some really great place, just as you said. You do Iceland, I'll do like Disney World or something.

Oh well. If only.
I've been to Disney World. Multiple times. It's okay, I guess. Iceland is better, I'd say.

Quote from: Mashi on March 26, 2013, 05:54:37 PMAfter viewing both FMA:Brotherhood and Naruto Shippuden, it would be frivolous to even consider watching an anime as unbearably mediocre as Melancholy. NARUTOxHINATA 4 LYFE!!!

Ruto

Quote from: Cobraroll on July 23, 2012, 01:46:18 PMDeath sentence doesn't exactly scream "civilised" now, does it? I mean, when you can throw him in one of those fantastic jails of yours forever?

Norway just marked the one-year anniversary of a very similar event, only that six times more people died and most of them were under 18. Yes, there were some cries for death sentence here too, but they silenced. One of the key fundamentals of a justice system is consistency. The terrorist is being judged by the laws that were in effect at the time of the misdeed. He's given treatment by the books. Sent through the system like any other criminal. He got his time to speak, then was shoved aside for other people to have their say. Most likely, he'll spend the remainder of his days in jail. Death is too easy. Isolation, having to live with the guilt (or lack thereof, the guy appears to be a cold bastard) for the rest of his life, being looked down upon from the rest of the society and with a prize on his head from the criminal gangs, is potentially worse.

Don't make the terrorist a martyr for his own cause. Let him rot in jail until forgotten instead.

The argument I hear is that people don't want their tax dollars being used to pay for prisons or keeping prisoners alive. There's already a lot of prisoners in this system compared to Norway's -.- I guess I don't care so much as long as that guy gets sentenced, but there's just a lot of "angry mob justice" as it is.

Roz~

Quote from: Ruto on July 23, 2012, 04:31:22 PMThe argument I hear is that people don't want their tax dollars being used to pay for prisons or keeping prisoners alive. There's already a lot of prisoners in this system compared to Norway's -.- I guess I don't care so much as long as that guy gets sentenced, but there's just a lot of "angry mob justice" as it is.

I remember reading somewhere that in Quebec it costs over 800$ per prisoner per week. That is a lot more than what citizen earn by working their asses off. That is such a contradiction imho. I mean, you're in jail, not in some kind of club Med...

Quote from: SuperFireKirby on July 23, 2012, 04:05:42 PMI've been to Disney World. Multiple times. It's okay, I guess. Iceland is better, I'd say.

We should all go to Japan together. That would be pretty awesome.
Quote from: MaestroUGC on February 13, 2013, 01:16:55 PM
Thanks. For a moment there I was worried, though. I almost needed to blow you.

SlowPokemon

Quote from: Roz~ on July 23, 2012, 04:34:47 PMWe should all go to Japan together. That would be pretty awesome.

There ya go. An idea I can REALLY get behind.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

Ruto

Quote from: Roz~ on July 23, 2012, 04:34:47 PMI remember reading somewhere that in Quebec it costs over 800$ per prisoner per week. That is a lot more than what citizen earn by working their asses off. That is such a contradiction imho. I mean, you're in jail, not in some kind of club Med...

Yeah, unless they're high security prisoners, I think a lot of them have to work while they're in jail, raking leaves, picking up trash or that stuff. People make it sound like they have a great deal but prison's still prison. There's 24 hour security, some giant isolated building you have to stay in, etc.

QuoteWe should all go to Japan together. That would be pretty awesome.

Hahaha it would easily cost over a million dollars for everyone to stay in Japan. And with this number of people, we'd need to rent a house XD But it sounds so fun.

Roz~

I know, but I still think that our government shouldn't spend that much money on prisoners. Just my personal opinion though.
And yeah, it would be freaking expensive, but it would be sooo awesome :D

SuperFireKirby

The US government spends about $3,000 a year per student. They spend $18,000 a year per prisoner. And we wonder why things are going to hell.

Quote from: Mashi on March 26, 2013, 05:54:37 PMAfter viewing both FMA:Brotherhood and Naruto Shippuden, it would be frivolous to even consider watching an anime as unbearably mediocre as Melancholy. NARUTOxHINATA 4 LYFE!!!

spitllama

"Is the public aware that I am a gentleman of leisure, watching color TV in the A.C., reading, taking naps at will, eating three well balanced hot meals a day? I'm housed in a building that connects to the new 55 million dollar hospital with round the clock free medical care 24/7."
- Convicted murderer in NC
Submissions Page
Currently using Finale 2012

Nebbles

Quote from: SuperFireKirby on July 23, 2012, 04:05:42 PMI've been to Disney World. Multiple times. It's okay, I guess. Iceland is better, I'd say.

Well, I did say "or something". There's always options.

I like the Japan idea. Let's do that.
Quote from: Dudeman on April 13, 2016, 04:54:04 PM
- Nebbles, the beauty with the heart of frozen steel

Roz~

Quote from: spitllama on July 23, 2012, 07:53:12 PM"Is the public aware that I am a gentleman of leisure, watching color TV in the A.C., reading, taking naps at will, eating three well balanced hot meals a day? I'm housed in a building that connects to the new 55 million dollar hospital with round the clock free medical care 24/7."
- Convicted murderer in NC

That's exactly what I was talking about. It just doesn't make sense.