The Post Your Thoughts of the Moment Thread 2

Started by Harvest, February 22, 2008, 12:40:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zunawe

Okay.

They speak English, and I know that you probably aren't going to ever be involved with them, but it's still kinda nice to know things. To further laugh at humanity, there was some poll where a very large percent of the United States' population couldn't name the vice president.

Quote from: Ruto on May 25, 2012, 10:35:30 PMYa it's totally English, mon.

But you're still the same species as everyone else on the forum! XD Is that really evolving? :P But anyway, jealous xD
It's not really "evolving". (What? Zunawe is evolving? Congratulations! Your Zunawe evolved into Super Zunawe!) It's just adaptation. We don't need wisdom teeth, so we are slowly, genetically, getting rid of them.
You know you've been playing too much Dragon Quest when you're afraid your Hershey's Kisses are going to flee.

I program things

DrP

You should start asking people. "Name 5 Vice Presidents of the top of your head"

Some people probably can't get 3

Joe Biden
Dick Cheney
Al Gore
Dan Quayle
George Bush
Walter Mondale
Nelson Rockefeller
Gerald Ford
Spiro Agnew
Hubert Humphrey
Lyndon Johnson
Richard Nixon
(I forget some of the rest... but I made a point)

Ruto

Quote from: Zunawe on May 25, 2012, 11:19:14 PMIt's not really "evolving". (What? Zunawe is evolving? Congratulations! Your Zunawe evolved into Super Zunawe!) It's just adaptation. We don't need wisdom teeth, so we are slowly, genetically, getting rid of them.

People don't die if they have wisdom teeth (and then fail to reproduce/pass on their genes) normally...getting rid of them is a bit risky for some people, but it's still a small number, too small to be significant to a population. I don't know if that means wisdom teeth would someday be gone forever...it sounds great if it does though xD It's probably not going to happen though.

But yeah I guess that doesn't mean it's evolution :P

I seem to be missing a piece of my ear.

Nebbles

Nothing like starting off the morning with Howl's Moving Castle. :D
Quote from: Dudeman on April 13, 2016, 04:54:04 PM
- Nebbles, the beauty with the heart of frozen steel

Ruto

Fortune machine at the arcade said I was too small :( Also it said I was shorter than I thought I was...better start running, I guess -.-

I seem to be missing a piece of my ear.

Mashi

Quote from: DrP on May 25, 2012, 11:27:16 PMYou should start asking people. "Name 5 Vice Presidents of the top of your head"
Hahaha, I remember one of FDR's Vice Presidents once mentioning that Vice President was probably the most useless role in the government.

Jub3r7

Quote from: Zunawe on May 25, 2012, 11:19:14 PMOkay.

They speak English, and I know that you probably aren't going to ever be involved with them, but it's still kinda nice to know things. To further laugh at humanity, there was some poll where a very large percent of the United States' population
were asked whether or not they would sign a petition to make women's suffrage illegal, and quite a few said yes. D:
It's dangerous to go alone, take me with you! [JUB has joined the party.]

Mashi

Quote from: Zunawe on May 25, 2012, 10:28:09 PMI thought it was funny how many of my friends didn't know what language Jamaicans speak. It's quite sad, the ignorance of the human race.

EDIT: Not ignorance, stupidity. There's a subtle difference. Look it up.
I somehow skipped this, but your statement seems very supercilious and hypocritical to me.  It's naive to claim that the human race (or any large population) is stupid simply because a few of your friends don't know the language that Jamaicans speak.  They're not an accurate portrayal of such a population and not knowing one simple fact isn't enough to gauge their actual intelligence.  People aren't stupid simply because they do not know the different between Baroque and Classical music or they don't know all 50 states and their capitals.  What if your friends knew every fact in the world except for that one?  They wouldn't be stupid anymore, would they?  Not to mention, how is the language that Jamaicans speak important at all to them?  It's a random fact that a few people know and a few people don't.

I apologise for being rude and derogatory of your simple comment, but I can't just leave it be without responding.

Nebbles

Damn, Mashi. Couldn't have said it better myself.

Quote from: Dudeman on April 13, 2016, 04:54:04 PM
- Nebbles, the beauty with the heart of frozen steel

Zunawe

Lol, it wasn't meant to be an insult to the human race. I was commenting on how some people choose to be ignorant of certain facts. To be stupid is to choose to be unaware of something around you. It is not a comment on one's intelligence. In fact, the only two words that I can think of that would truly have insulted somebody would be "unintelligent" and "foolish". Again, not insulting; commenting.
You know you've been playing too much Dragon Quest when you're afraid your Hershey's Kisses are going to flee.

I program things

SlowPokemon

Quote from: Nebbles on May 26, 2012, 06:21:16 AMNothing like starting off the morning with Howl's Moving Castle. :D

^QFT, that's like my favorite movie (one of them anyway)

Also my dad can be a fucking psycho sometimes :|
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

Zunawe

I program things

Mashi

Quote from: Zunawe on May 26, 2012, 09:04:26 AMLol, it wasn't meant to be an insult to the human race. I was commenting on how some people choose to be ignorant of certain facts. To be stupid is to choose to be unaware of something around you. It is not a comment on one's intelligence. In fact, the only two words that I can think of that would truly have insulted somebody would be "unintelligent" and "foolish". Again, not insulting; commenting.
What.
I understand that a few words can have subjective meanings, but words such as "stupid" and "ignorant" are nothing but insulting.  I don't know what dictionary you're using, but to my knowledge, the word stupid means something along the lines of 'devoid of intelligence'.  In fact, I'll even reference 3 dictionaries to prove so.

Oxford English Dictionary:
stu·pid
adjective /ˈst(y)o͞opid/ 
stupider, comparative; stupidest, superlative

Lacking intelligence or common sense
- I was stupid enough to think she was perfect

Dazed and unable to think clearly
- apprehension was numbing her brain and making her stupid

Used to express exasperation or boredom
- she told him to stop messing with his stupid painting

noun /ˈst(y)o͞opid/ 
stupids, plural

A stupid person (often used as a term of address)
- you're not a coward, stupid!

Princeton Review:

Noun

S: (n) stupid (a person who is not very bright) "The economy, stupid!"
Adjective

S: (adj) stupid (lacking or marked by lack of intellectual acuity)
S: (adj) stupid (in a state of mental numbness especially as resulting from shock) "he had a dazed expression on his face"; "lay semiconscious, stunned (or stupefied) by the blow"; "was stupid from fatigue"
S: (adj) stupid (lacking intelligence) "a dull job with lazy and unintelligent co-workers"

Merriam-Webster:

1stu·pid adj \ˈstü-pəd, ˈstyü-\

Definition of STUPID

a : slow of mind : obtuse
b : given to unintelligent decisions or acts : acting in an unintelligent or careless manner
c : lacking intelligence or reason : brutish
: dulled in feeling or sensation : torpid <still stupid from the sedative>
: marked by or resulting from unreasoned thinking or acting : senseless <a stupid decision>
a : lacking interest or point <a stupid event>
b : vexatious, exasperating <the stupid car won't start>

If you're looking for a word meaning 'uninterested in the pursuit of knowledge', then you probably mean to say philistine.  To be ignorant means to lack knowledge (though, I would imagine that your point may get across if the context is correct).  But nevertheless, both words are still insulting.  Simply because your friends aren't as academically inclined as you by no means means that they're not 'smart' or that they're being philistine.  I can have an 80 average and still be 'smart' (I use this term loosely) in other fields, whether they be art, music, sports, social communication, etc.  And again, not knowing a simple fact isn't nearly enough to gauge whether someone is philistine.

You mentioned before that a good deal of Americans didn't know the Vice President.  Sounds bad doesn't it?
Tell me every significant thing that Biden has done during his Vice Presidency.
Did you think of many?  Did you even think of one?  If you did, I'm impressed, but I would imagine that you would have to struggle.  I don't see why a general population should care about a role that doesn't accomplish very much.
Furthermore, do you have percentages of those who represent that statistic?  Were those who took that survey mostly adults, teenagers, children?  Were they immigrants or natives?  Were the people taking the survey selected as they walked out of a library or out of a pizzeria?  This information matters.  For future reference though, it's best not to use a statistic in an argument unless you're aware of a good deal of its operative conditions.  Otherwise, the statistic is useless in that it's not evidenced to be valid.

EFitTrainr

I like food.

Zunawe

Okay, the intent was not to be insulting. I never wanted to insult anybody. I'm not making fun of anybody. It was a petty observation. I don't want to argue, so I'll just stop here.

I program things