News:

NinSheetMusic is the LARGEST video game sheet music archive on the entire internet worldwide!

Main Menu

The Post Your Thoughts of the Moment Thread 2

Started by Harvest, February 22, 2008, 12:40:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EFitTrainr

So, I expect moar than just tri, jub, mashi, and I on the tinychat tonight.
I like food.

spitllama

Quote from: KefkaticFanatic on October 19, 2011, 10:06:39 PMAnd there will be no more discussion relating to this unless people want bans.

It's a part of history. You can ban for discussion on specific topics? Politics are politics.
Submissions Page
Currently using Finale 2012

SuperFireKirby

Quote from: Mashi on March 26, 2013, 05:54:37 PMAfter viewing both FMA:Brotherhood and Naruto Shippuden, it would be frivolous to even consider watching an anime as unbearably mediocre as Melancholy. NARUTOxHINATA 4 LYFE!!!

Nebbles

Libya can finally get some well deserved change in regime.

Also man I'm hungry :|
Quote from: Dudeman on April 13, 2016, 04:54:04 PM
- Nebbles, the beauty with the heart of frozen steel

fingerz

...Clarinet exam today at 12:02 PM EST! I feel very well prepared, yet nervous. Wish me luck guys! :D
Classical / Jazz / Contemporary
Performer / Arranger / Educator
Bb, A, C & Bass Clarinet / Soprano, Alto, Tenor & Baritone Saxophone / Basset Horn

Jub3r7

Quote from: spitllama on October 20, 2011, 10:33:20 AMIt's a part of history. You can ban for discussion on specific topics? Politics are politics.
Kefka can lock the thread just because he feels like it?

Also yeah politics and religion are something we like to avoid on the forums because the debates will become extremely heated.
Yes, some of us are civilized in our debating, while others of us aren't that way and openly admit that fact. (This doesn't include me, of course; I just don't like politics in general.)
It's dangerous to go alone, take me with you! [JUB has joined the party.]

KefkaticFanatic

No because I know damn well that it's going to lead into another debate that's been had here before where there have been nasty flames in both directions.

me irl
[close]

fingerz

DONE! *Phew*
I feel great! I'll let you know what I get when I get it back. :D
Classical / Jazz / Contemporary
Performer / Arranger / Educator
Bb, A, C & Bass Clarinet / Soprano, Alto, Tenor & Baritone Saxophone / Basset Horn

spitllama

Quote from: KefkaticFanatic on October 20, 2011, 06:41:17 PMNo because I know damn well that it's going to lead into another debate that's been had here before where there have been nasty flames in both directions.

Then technically you can't ban until that flaming occurs, right? There's nothing in the rules saying you can't discuss this topic :P

Technicalities ftw
Submissions Page

spitllama

Ok my whole hall has been arguing about a theoretical occurence. WHO WANTS TO DISCUSS IT
Submissions Page

DrP

Quote from: spitllama on October 20, 2011, 07:49:40 PMOk my whole hall has been arguing about a theoretical occurence. WHO WANTS TO DISCUSS IT
what is this theoretical occurrence?

spitllama

Huzzah!

Ok so basic probability assumes that there is a strand in existence for any possible outcome of flipping a coin (HTHT is one strand while HHHT is another). If you flipped a coin 10 times, it is possible for there to be all heads, and never a tails. This is the same for 3,000,000,000 flips.

However, if you were to flip the coin an infinite amount of times, is there an obligation (that's the important part, cause we agree it can happen, but does it have to) for the "heads-happy" coin to land on tails?

The situation led into a discussion about basic calculus and limits. If the chance is 50/50 to get either, as you approach infinite trials, would it ever reach the point of HAVING to land on tails?

My argument used the idea of taking a half of a half continuously. If I wanted to get to a door, but my movement had to always be half of the distance between me and the door, I would theoretically never reach it. Practically of course I can't make myself take halves of halves at a certain point. Another example is when you look at the graph. A line approaching the x-axis (0% chance of getting heads) would NEVER actually reach 0, even if there was an infinite amount of tries.

The other argument is that since it's infinity, it will eventually HAVE to hit tails. There must be an obligation since it is a forever progressing test. Are we limited by the fact that infinity is strictly theoretical?
Submissions Page

DrP

It's a possibility. If this was the case [infinity being theoretical], then it would have to hit tails. There is always an opposing side to that theory. It could be something driven by chance or by some parallel universe (I am SO pulling this out from Futurama) where it contains every opposite decision of things where we had to make a decision between two things. There, I'd probably be a concert pianist and dating my friend Michelle, but that's a parallel universe.

I really can't argue math/science phenomena... so, yeah.

KefkaticFanatic

Yea, and that idea can be extrapolated to the infinitely expanding universe and hyperspace of universes to basically say that any possibility must be true, so not only is it certain that there must be extraterrestrial life somewhere, but as there are infinity chances it is inevitable that somewhere there is mirror world of our own even.

Thinking about things like that for a while starts making you feel all weird.

me irl
[close]