News:

Iron gates are a thing of the past! Now, you can access your yard with the all-new NinSheetMusic-brand Teleportation Technology!

Main Menu

The Post Your Thoughts of the Moment Thread 2

Started by Harvest, February 22, 2008, 12:40:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SuperFireKirby

Quote from: Mashi on March 26, 2013, 05:54:37 PMAfter viewing both FMA:Brotherhood and Naruto Shippuden, it would be frivolous to even consider watching an anime as unbearably mediocre as Melancholy. NARUTOxHINATA 4 LYFE!!!

universe-X

SuperFireKirby

Quote from: Mashi on March 26, 2013, 05:54:37 PMAfter viewing both FMA:Brotherhood and Naruto Shippuden, it would be frivolous to even consider watching an anime as unbearably mediocre as Melancholy. NARUTOxHINATA 4 LYFE!!!

universe-X

^^ avatar just went from bad to worse.  ::)  please don't kill me

KefkaticFanatic

Heading off to the Video Games Live concert.  Woo.

me irl
[close]

Cobraroll

Quote from: JaMaHa on November 07, 2009, 09:02:36 AMProblem 3 of this week's math exercises:

"The summerhouse's endless and empty well reaches through the earth all the way to New Zealand. During midsummer, an annoying relative A falls (completely unassisted) into the well at the moment t = 0 and his movement is described by the differential equation.....

.... As stated, no one gave A any initial velocity, not even accidentally.

Calculate, when A returns back to the edge of the well."
Never. He will swing back and forth through the earth, though air resistance will limit how far he will go for each swing. He will reach terminal velocity after less than half a kilometre, and air resistance will gradually bring the terminal velocity down as he falls and the gravity pull gets weaker. In the end, he will probably fall a maximum of a hundred metres past the Earth's core, before he swings back and comes to a standstill about an hour after that. That is, if the well is extremely well insulated. If not, he'll be a cloud of ashes before he reaches halfway down.

If we forget air resistance, this will be a lot more tricky, seeing as gravity gradually gets lower the further into the Earth he goes. Still, he will accelerate at some rate all the way down into the core, and decellerate on his way from there to NZ. The cool thing is, the descent will take exactly as long as the climb back up to "Down under", as demonstrated with any simple "throw a rock straight up"-task. As soon as he enters Maoriland, he'll come to the excact same height as he did when he fell in the first place, and the same process will repeat on his return to Finland. So all you'll have to do, is find out for how long he falls, then multiply it by four. The tricky thing is, no constant acceleration. If you have an equation for his acceleration, then you'll have to integrate it, twice, to get the stretch he falls (S), then set S = 6371000 metres, and find the unknown t (time/seconds).

You'll probably get a fourth-degree equation out of it, if the acceleration equation doesn't give a linear graph. If so, it'll be a third-degree equation, that most advanced calculators can handle.

Good luck.
Emergence - a story exclusive to NSM

Yes, I'm still around from time to time. For quicker response, you can reach me by PM, or drop by Smogon to say hi. I go by "Codraroll" there, because of a bet.

GreekGeek

A nice thing.
I'm gonna prove that 0,99999999999999..... is exactly the same as 1.

Let's say x = 0,99999999999999......
Then 10 x = 9,9999999999999999....
10 x - x = 9 x
9x = (10 x - x) = 9,999999999999999.... - 0,9999999999999........ = 9
Then x = 1

Great, right?

universe-X

Quote from: Cobraroll on November 08, 2009, 01:19:28 PM
Quote from: JaMaHa on November 07, 2009, 09:02:36 AMProblem 3 of this week's math exercises:

"The summerhouse's endless and empty well reaches through the earth all the way to New Zealand. During midsummer, an annoying relative A falls (completely unassisted) into the well at the moment t = 0 and his movement is described by the differential equation.....

.... As stated, no one gave A any initial velocity, not even accidentally.

Calculate, when A returns back to the edge of the well."
Never. He will swing back and forth through the earth, though air resistance will limit how far he will go for each swing. He will reach terminal velocity after less than half a kilometre, and air resistance will gradually bring the terminal velocity down as he falls and the gravity pull gets weaker. In the end, he will probably fall a maximum of a hundred metres past the Earth's core, before he swings back and comes to a standstill about an hour after that. That is, if the well is extremely well insulated. If not, he'll be a cloud of ashes before he reaches halfway down.

If we forget air resistance, this will be a lot more tricky, seeing as gravity gradually gets lower the further into the Earth he goes. Still, he will accelerate at some rate all the way down into the core, and decellerate on his way from there to NZ. The cool thing is, the descent will take exactly as long as the climb back up to "Down under", as demonstrated with any simple "throw a rock straight up"-task. As soon as he enters Maoriland, he'll come to the excact same height as he did when he fell in the first place, and the same process will repeat on his return to Finland. So all you'll have to do, is find out for how long he falls, then multiply it by four. The tricky thing is, no constant acceleration. If you have an equation for his acceleration, then you'll have to integrate it, twice, to get the stretch he falls (S), then set S = 6371000 metres, and find the unknown t (time/seconds).

You'll probably get a fourth-degree equation out of it, if the acceleration equation doesn't give a linear graph. If so, it'll be a third-degree equation, that most advanced calculators can handle.

Good luck.

math to science, lol ::)

Quote from: KefkaticFanatic on November 08, 2009, 01:00:55 PMHeading off to the Video Games Live concert.  Woo.
have fun!

Harvest

Dragon Age Origins is so difficult...aaahhh..
-

KefkaticFanatic

Video Games Live was awesome.  They had the blindfolded pianist guy Martin Leung play some epic Final Fantasy and Mario songs, including the Mario theme blindfolded.  No Dancing Mad, but perhaps next year.

me irl
[close]

Jamaha

Left my room hungry.

Was greeted by the smell of pizza and an empty pizza box. Damn them roommates.

SuperFireKirby

I'm pretty sure I bombed my math test today. I've already got a C in here so I really hope I didn't.

Dude

Fuck.

So apparently the electrician came over to check our generator for the house.  I wasn't paying attention because some other people were here a little bit ago.  And I'm playing MKW and absolutely pwning everyone and then *Bewwww (Power going out sound)* and I'm like "FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF".  So my mom didn't realize that I was up there playing online and didn't call me to save or anything... So here's the kicker, before my last race, I was like "Hmm I'm getting kinda tired of this, but I'll do one more" Then, *BAM* power went out. D:

[/story]

Seeker

I just found out my piano mid-terms are to-morrow. Off to the practice room...
This is a signature.

SuperFireKirby

I know everything sucks yeah. I know everything sucks, whoa. I kniw everything sucks yeah, but this wont be the last time you here me complain.