The Post Your Thoughts of the Moment Thread 2

Started by Harvest, February 22, 2008, 12:40:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zunawe

God dang internet deleted my post.

The PS2 has a weird architecture. The CPU was dual-core, which is really uncommon, but was very useful at the time of release. A game built for a dual-core processor might struggle on a single-core processor because it can't compute things in parallel. The dual-core processor is why the PS2 is so hard to emulate still, because most CPUs have 4 or more cores, and only 2 of them can be used for a PS2 emulation.

As for disc space, I don't know enough about the games or the physical discs. Texture compression could have saved a lot of space?
You know you've been playing too much Dragon Quest when you're afraid your Hershey's Kisses are going to flee.

I program things

Nitro Indigo

File compression could've happened, but... I'm not really sure how many companies do it, especially in ~2003. Still, the fact that they could port a game to another console with a different processor and less disc space, while apparently fixing it (all shall be revealed once I get it on NGC soon, possibly), is pretty impressive.

Speaking of Enter the Dragonfly, I like to imagine myself doing a defence-unpopular-opinion video about it while His World plays dramatically in the background, but the problems are...
1) I haven't played the game since early 2014 and refuse to type it into any search engine or website-specific search in fear of haters. (Though I still sometimes see it mentioned on TV Tropes and YouTube comments. I came across the GameCube version by chance through Cex, then I saw TV Tropes being defective and actually saying something positive about the game on Polished Port.)
2) I'm not 100% sure if I'll get it on GameCube or not. (And what should I get with it? The only games that appeal to me that I could afford alongside it from Cex are Pikmin 1 and Star Fox Adventures, and a lot of people dislike the latter game...)
3) The only video recording devices I have are a smartphone and a Kindle.
4) Apparently, you can't get Windows Movie Maker on Windows 10, and I can't afford anything else.
5) My laptop screen is broken and I can't afford to get it fixed.
But hey... MatPat started out by making videos on PowerPoint. So do I, but remixes =/= pseudo-reviews.

EDIT: I just realized something... earlier on today, I made an art contest on Chickem Smoothie to draw a Yanma. I chose a Yanma to be my YouTube mascot because of ETD. The two pets I'm offering as prizes are from Christmas a few years ago. The only thing the average person knows about ETD is that it was Christmas Rushed...
Quote from: MaestroUGC on January 07, 2017, 11:45:40 AM
You mean a thing that happened some time ago is older now and it's suddenly dawning on you that an equal amount of time has passed for you as well? How revolutionary.

Magic Mole

^ If Starfox Adventures looks like something you'd enjoy, I say go for it. Personally, I loved that game and still recommend it to my friends. The first Pikmin's great too (and my favorite of the 3 Pikmin games).
Interesting stuff about the PS2 and ETD though. Never played it myself but I do own and have fond memories of A Hero's Tail for the GC.

Olimar12345

Quote from: Magic Mole on May 01, 2016, 04:39:25 PMThe first Pikmin's great too (and my favorite of the 3 Pikmin games)

Instant best friend.

Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

Nitro Indigo

According to ONM, the Wii version of Pikmin is better, but... should I get it on GameCube? Depends on which one is cheaper.
EDIT: The Wii version is cheaper from Cex.
The GameCube game I want the most is Thousand-Year Door, but I can't afford it because more people liking a game means less people are willing to get rid of it which means £50 second-hand.

I'm a bit apprehensive about getting Adventures because I already started Spyro with the most behated instalment (well, the first Spyro game I played was someone else's copy of Season of Ice for about five minutes, but still) and don't want to do that again because haters scare me. Which is exactly why I want to re-buy Enter the Dragonfly on another console.

(I also don't really want to play a Metroid game because once I started thinking too hard about RFC's 16 Things Wrong With Super Metroid and got upset. DX)
You mean a thing that happened some time ago is older now and it's suddenly dawning on you that an equal amount of time has passed for you as well? How revolutionary.

Olimar12345

I don't know who ONM is, but now I have absolutely no respect for what they think or have to say.

The Wii port of Pikmin is a butchered port. My biggest complaint is that they replaced all of the enemy's crys and sounds with squeaky-toy sounds, or nothing (seriously, wtf? Was this necessary?). I actually wrote the dev. team a dissatisfied letter about it when it came out because it was pure bullshit.

Another complaint is the "updated" controls. Motion controls were the hot new thing at the time, so apparently injecting them into games like Pikmin (whose controls were already stable and awesome) didn't go over so well. There was no way to incorporate the C-stick while throwing for that awesome launch speed boost (lame as shit). In addition to a shitty new control scheme, they attempted to add a feature (that they're still working into newer games) in which you can revisit earlier days to sort of do-over events if you fucked up. This bothered me because it basically took the challenge, and point of the game (time management and strategic planning) out completely, allowing you to keep retrying events over and over until you get them perfect. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but I always thought it was more fun to live with your mistakes and try to turn the game around when things weren't looking so good. It kind of takes the skill out of it.
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

BlackDragonSlayer

And the moral of the story: Quit while you're a head.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

Nitro Indigo

ONM is Official Nintendo Magazine, and the Nostalgia Critic recently made a video about how critics can be wrong. Also, why did they give BW2 the lowest score of any main Pokémon game? And were they paid to give Phantom Hourglass 95%? I mean, I like that game, but still.

Altissimo

You seem to take a lot of stock in what critics of all stripes say. Don't. Enjoy things on their own merits and your own views about them!

Nitro Indigo

I was looking at the Wikipedia article about the worst video games, and Rise of Lyric has worse reviews than Sonic '06. Is it bad that I think ROL doesn't seem too bad...? Apparently they patched it...
(I also keep watching The Meteor. Help.)

I don't know much about A Hero's Tail apart from the fact that Caddicarus likes it (and I stopped watching the video when he bashed ETD), but the cover looks really cool.

Also, I just Game Master's review of PSMD, and I realized why I dislike it: unlike ONM, it doesn't have much personality. All of ONM's PMD reviews may have been negative, but at least they're somewhat funny. GM's PSMD review is basically a gameplay summary with barely any mentions of the pros or cons, which makes the 72% score feel sudden.
And then there's Mr. Enter's Atlantis Squarepantis review... Ripoff. You keep using that word. I do not think you know what it means.

Altissimo

rise of lyric is terrible, far worse than sonic 06

Nitro Indigo

At least '06 has His World... with that guitar riff that sounds like Byrne-Staven-Bucky-Grovyle's theme for some reason... despite coming first...

EDIT: I've also been feeling sad about the Dreamcast today, ever since watching the DidYouKnowGaming video about it. I'm feeling sad about a console I've never even played a remake of a game from. Probably because of the most wonderful sound in the world. ;-;

Olimar12345

Quote from: Nitro Indigo on May 02, 2016, 05:24:17 AMONM is Official Nintendo Magazine

Lol well of course Nintendo is going to talk up great things about their own remake, why would they remake a game and pay their own official magazine to say it isn't better than the original? Because the truth makes for a shitty marketing campaign lol.

mikey

Quote from: Olimar12345 on May 02, 2016, 02:59:47 PMthe truth makes for a shitty marketing campaign
Olimar for speaker of the house 2028
unmotivated

Dude

Quote from: Altissimo on May 02, 2016, 05:36:59 AMYou seem to take a lot of stock in what critics of all stripes say. Don't. Enjoy things on their own merits and your own views about them!
Quote from: Nitro Indigo on May 02, 2016, 05:49:45 AMI was looking at the Wikipedia article about the worst video games, and Rise of Lyric has worse reviews than Sonic '06. Is it bad that I think ROL doesn't seem too bad...? Apparently they patched it...
(I also keep watching The Meteor. Help.)

I don't know much about A Hero's Tail apart from the fact that Caddicarus likes it (and I stopped watching the video when he bashed ETD), but the cover looks really cool.

Also, I just Game Master's review of PSMD, and I realized why I dislike it: unlike ONM, it doesn't have much personality. All of ONM's PMD reviews may have been negative, but at least they're somewhat funny. GM's PSMD review is basically a gameplay summary with barely any mentions of the pros or cons, which makes the 72% score feel sudden.
And then there's Mr. Enter's Atlantis Squarepantis review... Ripoff. You keep using that word. I do not think you know what it means.
I find this amusing.