The Post Your Thoughts of the Moment Thread 2

Started by Harvest, February 22, 2008, 12:40:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

InsigTurtle

Thanks. I've just been so fed up with what I've seen recently. What with anti-Chinese and anti-gay protesters outside the mall, and this in particular. It was really the thing I just linked to that really drove me over the edge. I feel better being reassured that there are many people out there who disagree with their statements...

Nebbles

I feel you. I get so sick and tired of seeing bigotry everywhere. I just don't get what compels people to think in such a negative, hurtful manner. I can't understand why people think it's okay to think that way... it's nice to know not everyone is like that, but when you see so much hate constantly, it really is just exhausting.
Quote from: Dudeman on April 13, 2016, 04:54:04 PM
- Nebbles, the beauty with the heart of frozen steel

mikey

mmm, that feminist protest is a bad idea
nothing good is going to happen there, I'll tell you that
unmotivated

Altissimo

sorry to take away from the serious tone but

i have my audition in a few short hours

wish me luck

Dude

BrainyLucario

Quote from: Altissimo on February 06, 2016, 05:59:05 AMsorry to take away from the serious tone but

wish me luck
Good luck Altissimo! I'm rooting for ya!
When given the choice between adulting and music, choose music every time.

braix

Quote from: MaestroUGC on August 19, 2015, 12:22:27 PMBraixen is a wonderful [insert gender] with beautiful [corresponding gender trait] and is just the darlingest at [stereotypical activity typically associated with said gender] you ever saw.

Clanker37

Quote from: InsigTurtle on February 05, 2016, 09:11:06 PMSerious post.
You know, I've been thinking about this lately. Like, people by themselves tend to be alright and nice to whatever, but once they're in a group they go fucking nuts. Apparently there was this Muslim who protested at a Trump rally, who beforehand was treated nicely and politely by the people around her, but as soon as Trumpelstiltskin began to speak and the crowd began to shout, she was verbally abused etc. I don't know if this was true, but if it is, it gives me great hope for the innate goodness of individuals.

Quote from: Altissimo on February 06, 2016, 05:59:05 AMsorry to take away from the serious tone but

wish me luck
I'm sure you'll be perfect. Break a leg!

Altissimo

update: piano sightreading and sightsinging were ace, the interval/chord identification and chord progression stuff... not so much. :(((((((

BrainyLucario

Don't worry Altissimo! I'm sure it wont ruin your chances! Here's a little vid to hopefully cheer you up!
Spoiler
[close]
When given the choice between adulting and music, choose music every time.

JDMEK5

Quote from: Altissimo on February 06, 2016, 07:47:48 AMupdate: piano sightreading and sightsinging were ace, the interval/chord identification and chord progression stuff... not so much. :(((((((
Seems like your skills are the polar opposite of mine with the exception of sightsinging. My interval/chord and chord progression stuff is usually stellar but don't ask me to sightread cuz I suck at it so much. Even my sightsinging isn't great. My point is, everyone has their strengths and weaknesses so you just have to keep identifying which yours are and try to align yourself with those. Sightreading is an incredibly useful skill.

Speaking of which, how do I know if I have perfect pitch? I thought I had relative but my profs seem to think I have perfect pitch.
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements
Finale Version(s): Finale Notepad 2012, Finale 2012, Finale v26

Dudeman

Quote from: JDMEK5 on February 06, 2016, 08:17:56 AMSpeaking of which, how do I know if I have perfect pitch? I thought I had relative but my profs seem to think I have perfect pitch.
Generally, if you can name the note as well as repeat it back vocally, that's perfect pitch. Relative pitch is if you can just repeat it back but can't identify the name of the note without an outside source.
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

Zunawe

Relative = Identify a note given a reference note. You'd use intervals to tell what the note is.
Perfect = Identify a note not having known any previous notes. Even if you can set your own reference note by the range of your voice or the start of a familiar song, that's not perfect pitch.

To test it, have somebody sing you a note at random points when you aren't aware of the actual pitches of music around you (like during lunch or something). If you can tell them the name without first hearing intervals in your head, that's probably perfect pitch.
You know you've been playing too much Dragon Quest when you're afraid your Hershey's Kisses are going to flee.

I program things

InsigTurtle

Quote from: Clanker37 on February 06, 2016, 06:51:31 AMTrumpelstiltskin

It wouldn't surprise me. It might be a thing with crowd psychology. But the fact that it's done is what really irritates me.

Pianist Da Sootopolis

There is also some blending points between the two. Some notes I know perfectly, others I know relatively, if that makes sense.
An "A" is always immediately an A for me, but A flat/G sharp I always have to use a reference (Usually the beginning of the Chopin op. 64/2).
what is shitpost