The Post Your Thoughts of the Moment Thread 2

Started by Harvest, February 22, 2008, 12:40:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Olimar12345

Quote from: mariolegofan on November 30, 2015, 12:09:59 PMYou could start a new topic. Just a suggestion.

It really isn't topic worthy. it's fine here.

Quote from: shadowkirby on November 30, 2015, 12:10:33 PMI'm not saying there is no bias on my part. Quite the opposite, in fact. I'm saying that my absence for the situation makes me an unreliable source, outside of observing the fact that whatever happened regardless of who was the primary perpetrator caused a lot of conflict between us.

You just happen to leave out the angry mob is all 
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

Sebastian

mikey

unmotivated

Altissimo

current thought : this forum confuses the living shit out of me

Sebastian

Quote from: Altissimo on November 30, 2015, 12:16:58 PMcurrent thought : this forum confuses the living shit out of me
My current thought: Why? Because you like seeing fighting/flaming/havoc?  ???
And, yes, I saw that post before you deleted it.

Altissimo

Quote from: mariolegofan on November 30, 2015, 12:20:47 PMMy current thought: Why? Because you like seeing fighting/flaming/havoc?  ???
And, yes, I saw that post before you deleted it.
what the actual fuck are you talking about, no, that's not why at all

Sebastian

mikey

I'm smiling right now
I would be laughing but I don't feel like it
unmotivated

Altissimo

no see This is what confuses me

there seems to be an inherent tension that makes everybody kind of want to fight but at the same time some of the same people who end up fighting are simultaneously trying to constantly diffuse the tension and this is what confuses me

it has just been exemplified with me saying "the forum confuses me" and immediately being jumped on with "Why, because you like seeing fighting?" which doesn't follow from my statement AT ALL and then when I get understandably like "what the fuck you talking about" the response is "I think we're done here" like I should be the one going ???

Pianist Da Sootopolis

So, backing waaay the hell up from my previous ignorant statement, here are my thoughts on the court case (the other stuff that just happened I shan't get involved in).
This company, since it's doing things for the public, cannot discriminate based on the standard reasons; gender, sexual orientation, and religion.
But what is the company? It's a.. ranch?
While I think that if a couple wants to get married there who happens to be same sex, the company SHOULD marry them from a morality standpoint, they're a ranch or some shit. Or maybe I'm misinterpreting the article.
Honestly worse is happening, and why would you want to get married at a ranch anyways?
Yeah, the people there are assholes for not allowing them to get married because of their genders, and yes, they can't discriminate, but IMO it's a losing battle since they aren't specifically offering services related to marriage.
Marriage licenses (a la Kim Davis) is another matter, you have to do your job or resign, but in this case it doesn't seem worth it to me.

Again, I apologize for the knee-jerk reaction earlier. That was not okay, and I'll make sure to calm the fuck down before posting on things like this in the future.
what is shitpost

MaestroUGC

One: The link Noc posted was not inherently bad; but given the nature of the article, and the nature of the discussion it was meant to inspire (and ultimately did a few pages back), similar links are best suited for the Politics thread as it is a social issue.

Two: A greater issue at play here is something Olimar touched on, people seem to have an issue respecting other people's opinions. Now this isn't something anybody can fix besides themselves. I may not subscribe to thinking there is a higher power out there, but others do and that is ok. Your opinions and beliefs do not affect anyone but yourself, unless you start getting grossly offensive with them and make outward attacks and assault on those who merely disagree with you.

Two-A: Your opinions are not facts and are not infallible. If someone disagrees with you, you don't need to throw a fit about it trying to prove an opinion wrong. You should also reflect on if you "opinion" is actually an opinion, and not something that can be or is proven or disproven. "I think milk tastes gross" is an opinion; "I think milk causes cancer" is an unsubstantiated claim present as an objective fact.

Three: People are going to disagree, argue, and fight. People are going to either stay or leave a community. People are going to have varying reasons and justifications for their thoughts and actions. NSM is not an island in the middle of an endless sea, it's an internet forum. It's great we have a tight-knit group of people all celebrating the same things, but people grow and change. Some for the better, some for the worse. Did we have a lot of long-term members leave recently? Yes we did. But it's normal. Every year we lose people, for varying reasons. Some people just grew up and have other responsibilities. Others simply lost interest. Others still simply couldn't gel with other members.

None of this is a bad thing or otherwise "wrong", it's normal, it's human. Instead of trying to point fingers and blame things for people leaving, we should just acknowledge that NSM is not the center of most people's lives. We're all going to leave NSM at some point, for one reason or another. At some point most of us will have to make a choice whether to stick around and play for a little longer, or grab our things and get on with our lives. Now, did an  "angry mob" chase Blue out not too long ago? It's irrelevant because he left of his own free will. Did people disagree with him at times? Sure, and some people would be less than tactful about it. But at the end of the day he made the decision to leave, and he can make the decision to come back if he chooses. So instead of bickering about why he and others left, we should just move on and acknowledge that none of us are going to be here forever.

Four: Things were not better in the "before times" and they are not worse now. They're just different. The constant appeals to NSM Nostalgia creates two camps of people: The Veterans and Everyone else. By constantly going "Remember X, Y, and Z" you're ultimately alienating the newer, younger members and subconsciously creating a rift between the two. But things are no better or worse now than they were, 1, 2, or 3 years ago. It's the same dynamic, just with different people. Every time someone says "I miss all the cool people" (which happens often, mind you), you're unwittingly putting down the newer members but insinuating you were part of some elite clique simply by registering sooner.

NSM has always had cool people, and will continue to have cool people. It will also have those few members who agitate and irritate others to no end, just like always. Let's stop focusing on the past and focus on what we have right now. We've got great arrangers and staff who've brought the biggest boom in arrangements NSM has ever seen; we've got plenty of funny and talented people doing things for all of us to enjoy; and we're experiencing a steady influx of newer members who will make NSM an even cooler place.

In summary: Look forward. Move on. NSM can be a groovy place if you let it.
Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.

JDMEK5

I don't think I have anything to add to that. You took every single one of my thoughts and expanded on it.
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements
Finale Version(s): Finale Notepad 2012, Finale 2012, Finale v26

mikey

unmotivated

Sebastian

braix

Let's all just get our thoughts straight and anticipate potential reactions to them before putting them down on paper shall we?
If everyone thinks a little before deciding to post something, we could have less clashing. It only takes one person that disagrees, and things can potentially get out of control. On the other hand, you can just not post it to begin with(if you think it might cause some conflict), or not post a disagreement and open the doors for other people to chime in.
Just please think twice is all I'm saying. Like how I had to revise this reply like four times. Words are a powerful tool and you should consider them before putting them out for everyone to read and interpret.
Quote from: MaestroUGC on August 19, 2015, 12:22:27 PMBraixen is a wonderful [insert gender] with beautiful [corresponding gender trait] and is just the darlingest at [stereotypical activity typically associated with said gender] you ever saw.