News:

New to the site? Introduce yourself here!

Main Menu

The Post Your Thoughts of the Moment Thread 2

Started by Harvest, February 22, 2008, 12:40:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Altissimo

WHAT DO WE DEFINE TOXIC

what, are adult conversations and debates not allowed to happen?? because if so that's quite frankly absolutely ridiculous

Latios212

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on August 28, 2015, 10:07:29 PMLet's just lock the entire off topic board for a while
Quote from: ThatGamer on August 29, 2015, 08:46:01 AM1. I don't agree with that, sorry. That's the best part of NSM. Except arranging...
In light of recent events, what - exactly - makes you think that recent events are even okay, let alone "the best part of NSM"?
Quote from: Altissimo on August 29, 2015, 08:42:27 AMEveryone keeps saying that but nobody (except Dude when I PMed him about it) is attempting to explain what the actual fuck that meansssssssss

edit: and I see Yugi and Knight (dunno how to caps correctly lol) left because of "the way things have gone recently" what way is that
Allow me to direct you both to this PSA, which is seems people haven't read clearly enough:
Quote from: MaestroWhile I'm all for having a space where people can air their frustrations and problems they have in life and try to find support, recent events and discussions have not been acceptable in the slightest. Given the toxic, unpleasant, and borderline criminal discussions going on lately I'm locking this thread indefinitely. Overall things in the community as a whole have gotten way out of hand with trolls, harassment, and general spamming.

And I'm going to post this one more time:
Quote from: Latios212 on August 26, 2015, 07:33:24 PMWhen tension builds up in times like these and you feel like typing a response real quick, type it up but click "preview" instead of "post". Let it sit for a minute. Then check the following:
- if you read what the previous people said correctly
- if you're contributing something to the discussion instead of posting to simply say "ok."
- if people will not be offended or annoyed by what you just typed up.

Quote from: Tobbeh99 on August 29, 2015, 08:53:38 AMtake a step back a think about what they write, and not get into anything offensive/controversial or other crazy topics. And try to calm down the chat and keep it more pleasant and relaxed as it is supposed to be.
Thank you.
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Altissimo

And I repeat: What the fuck does "toxic" mean in this circumstance?

Tobbeh99

Quote from: Altissimo on August 29, 2015, 08:56:18 AMoh so is the limbo/way the site has gone just a bunch of people showing up and "spamming" (depending on whether one thinks it's spam or not) the off-topic board? Or is there still more to the story?

The way I see it is that these off topic boards aren't of that much importance. So I don't think it's such a big thing if people comment all the time here.

I don't know what people mean by toxic. Is it just a lot of frequently commenting everything or spamming as some might call it, or is talking about improper subjects witch creates a tense/awkward conversation, or both?
Quote from: Dudeman on August 16, 2016, 06:11:42 AM
tfw you get schooled in English grammar by a guy whose first language is not English

10/10 tobbeh

mikey

Quote from: Tobbeh99 on August 29, 2015, 09:01:58 AMI don't know what people mean by toxic. Is it just a lot of frequently commenting everything or spamming as some might call it, or is talking about improper subjects witch creates a tense/awkward conversation, or both?
yes
unmotivated

Latios212

Altissimo, there's something to be said when everyone besides the two or three people active in the conversation is repulsed by the posts.

If you don't know what I mean, see here:
K-NiGhT
Yugi
Olimar
Blueflower
Slow
MLF
Clanker
Noc

If that doesn't signal to you that this needs to stop, I don't know what will.
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Altissimo

I have a strong, STRONG feeling Yugi and knight didn't leave because of the conversation last night

But still. Adult conversation. Is that what I'm seeing? We're not allowed to discuss adult conversation? Is that it? It got weird quickly yes but like... is any of that against the rules?

TheMarioPianist

Quote from: Altissimo on August 29, 2015, 08:56:18 AMoh so is the limbo/way the site has gone just a bunch of people showing up and "spamming" (depending on whether one thinks it's spam or not) the off-topic board? Or is there still more to the story?

Yes, the "spam" is definitely part of it. But also, the topics that have been sprouting up in the off topic section have been pretty weird. At first, they were just religious and political debates that got a little bit out of hand. Then, you had people like DreamTheater doing, well, unspeakable things. (PM me if you don't know about it.) Then, there was that really weird sexual/pregnancy discussion yesterday that probably didn't belong. At least, it should have stopped long before the thread locked. I don't think that lots of posting can really be considered toxic right now, because we have to take care of the weird topic posting first. Then we'll worry about spam. Besides, like NoS said, although I am on here a lot, I didn't always have to check the Off Topic thread every 5 minutes because there were like 10 new replies...
"I'm always here to help. Except when I'm not." ~Latios212

"If you're interested in 'balancing' work and pleasure, stop trying to balance them. Instead make your work more pleasurable." ~Donald J. Trump

Transcriber
M-updater
Piano player

mikey

Quote from: Altissimo on August 29, 2015, 08:59:16 AMWHAT DO WE DEFINE TOXIC

what, are adult conversations and debates not allowed to happen?? because if so that's quite frankly absolutely ridiculous
adult conversations are totally allowed
unfortunately the opposite is happening

tox·ic
ˈtäksik/
adjective
adjective: toxic

poisonous.
unmotivated

Altissimo

DT's shit was ridiculous and that I get is toxic but everything else not so much. it's a rant thread. people are going to say weird shit. maybe it's because I've been around the block a few times when it comes to this here internet but I feel like we can't just pretend discussions like that aren't going to happen. this is not a kids' forum.

maybe if there were like a sex thread/adult convo thread but like I just don't see how it's toxic per se

TheMarioPianist

Absolutely. There's nothing against adult topics. As long as you don't say something overtly sexual directly to another person. That's how I interpret the rule, anyway.
"I'm always here to help. Except when I'm not." ~Latios212

"If you're interested in 'balancing' work and pleasure, stop trying to balance them. Instead make your work more pleasurable." ~Donald J. Trump

Transcriber
M-updater
Piano player

mayastarr041

Guys please, we already lost the rant topic, dont allow this one to go also.
Hero of Trains is the BEST! Love you girl!

Tobbeh99

I'm have the opinion as Alt. I wasn't offended and didn't have any problems with the recent discussion, except DT comments which were absurd. But I do respect other peoples opinion, if some people feel that the subjects are get improper and awkward. And feel that people should stop getting into those for the sake of the community.
Quote from: Dudeman on August 16, 2016, 06:11:42 AM
tfw you get schooled in English grammar by a guy whose first language is not English

10/10 tobbeh

SlowPokemon

Quote from: Altissimo on August 29, 2015, 09:18:00 AMDT's shit was ridiculous and that I get is toxic but everything else not so much. it's a rant thread. people are going to say weird shit. maybe it's because I've been around the block a few times when it comes to this here internet but I feel like we can't just pretend discussions like that aren't going to happen. this is not a kids' forum.

maybe if there were like a sex thread/adult convo thread but like I just don't see how it's toxic per se

You're not wrong, and in the past there's been no issue with topics of adult things; most of us have been mature enough to handle them. The problem is, while talk of rape, pregnancy, and some other stuff isn't technically breaking any rules, it makes the forums a very awkward, unpleasant, uncomfortable place to be and while that may not be just cause to label it "toxic," it's not anything like what the website has ever been like before and we're all having difficulty adjusting to it, especially since most of the discussion is by alleged fourteen- and fifteen-year-olds who don't know what the fuck they're talking about and shouldn't be being exposed to these things in an irl setting other than hypothetical scenarios. Especially the nonchalant, casual way pregnancy was talked about leads me to think that they're either trolling or lying because they obviously don't understand why it's uncomfortable.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

ThatGamer

Quote from: mayastarr041 on August 29, 2015, 09:23:58 AMGuys please, we already lost the rant topic, dont allow this one to go also.

Agreed, keep chat like this to Skype or tiny chat! I'm on tc showing my face cam right now actually, if you wanna talk about this.
Quote from: Altissimo on August 29, 2015, 12:00:16 PM
Since I haven't heard from her personally I don't wanna be like "YO HERE'S THE CHATROOM OK"