News:

Rest in pepperoni, Mario Mario, 1981 - 2021
He will be missed by all, except for me! WARIO, NUMBER ONE!

Main Menu

The Post Your Thoughts of the Moment Thread 2

Started by Harvest, February 22, 2008, 12:40:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ThatGamer

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on August 25, 2015, 07:05:32 PMI think I'm still a little depressed, but not as much as before

Noc depressed? No way...

Well, glad to hear it Noc!  :)
Quote from: Altissimo on August 29, 2015, 12:00:16 PM
Since I haven't heard from her personally I don't wanna be like "YO HERE'S THE CHATROOM OK"

BlackDragonSlayer

Quote from: Ruto on August 25, 2015, 06:25:55 PMLol abeka. I don't think it provides an actual education.
QuoteA Beka is regarded (rightly or wrongly) as the most "liberal" of the three--all three are hardline dominionist and even Christian Reconstructionist, but BJU and ACE tend to be even worse than A Beka in most aspects.
I can't say anything about Abeka, but after having used BJU books a few times, I can safely say that they're actually quite a bit more thorough in the topics they discuss than their "California Standards" counterparts*, and are fairly neutral except for a few really obvious areas, something that actually surprised me (which, given the quality of the textbook content which I can vouch for, isn't much of a downside as long as you're aware of the areas that are blatantly overzealous- which don't compromise what's taught, as generally, such information is contained in the sidebars of the teacher's edition, or otherwise primarily away from the main body of text).

*Seriously, the "California Standards" books are absolutely bare-minimum at times.
And the moral of the story: Quit while you're a head.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

ThatGamer

Quote from: BlackDragonSlayer on August 25, 2015, 07:34:22 PMI can't say anything about Abeka, but after having used BJU books a few times, I can safely say that they're actually quite a bit more thorough in the topics they discuss than their "California Standards" counterparts*, and are fairly neutral except for a few really obvious areas, something that actually surprised me (which, given the quality of the textbook content which I can vouch for, isn't much of a downside as long as you're aware of the areas that are blatantly overzealous- which don't compromise what's taught, as generally, such information is contained in the sidebars of the teacher's edition, or otherwise primarily away from the main body of text).

*Seriously, the "California Standards" books are absolutely bare-minimum at times.

Well, as long as I know I have some sort of future ahead...I'm okay!
Since I haven't heard from her personally I don't wanna be like "YO HERE'S THE CHATROOM OK"

braix

First day of high school and I saw the goth group. to be honest, I half thought they didn't exist
Quote from: MaestroUGC on August 19, 2015, 12:22:27 PMBraixen is a wonderful [insert gender] with beautiful [corresponding gender trait] and is just the darlingest at [stereotypical activity typically associated with said gender] you ever saw.

ThatGamer

Quote from: braixen1264 on August 25, 2015, 08:07:55 PMFirst day of high school and I saw the goth group. to be honest, I half thought they didn't exist

Goth group?  :P

Weird. Are there any other groups?

Ruto

Quote from: BlackDragonSlayer on August 25, 2015, 07:34:22 PM*Seriously, the "California Standards" books are absolutely bare-minimum at times.

So are the NY standards. But at least they don't teach things that are completely wrong to kids. Some parents probably don't know better to correct the errors.

From a summary on Wikipedia:
[A Beka] has been criticized for selling works that are contradictory to the scientific consensus regarding the origins of the universe, origins of life, and evolution. In Association of Christian Schools International et al. v. Roman Stearns et al., a judge upheld the University of California's rejection of A Beka publications for preparatory use because the books are "inconsistent with the viewpoints and knowledge generally accepted in the scientific community."[39][40]

Quote from: ThatGamer on August 25, 2015, 07:46:09 PMWell, as long as I know I have some sort of future ahead...I'm okay!

Lol, sure...listen to the guy that would agree with what you say, even if it's wrong. Why not see for yourself if your abeka "education" matches up to what kids have to know in NYS?

I seem to be missing a piece of my ear.

BlackDragonSlayer

Quote from: Ruto on August 25, 2015, 08:16:04 PMLol, sure...listen to the guy that would agree with what you say, even if it's wrong. Why not see for yourself if your abeka "education" matches up to what kids have to know in NYS?
I wasn't talking about Abeka at all. As I have said, I don't have experience with them.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

ThatGamer

Quote from: Ruto on August 25, 2015, 08:16:04 PMSo are the NY standards. But at least they don't teach things that are completely wrong to kids. Some parents probably don't know better to correct the errors.

From a summary on Wikipedia:
[A Beka] has been criticized for selling works that are contradictory to the scientific consensus regarding the origins of the universe, origins of life, and evolution. In Association of Christian Schools International et al. v. Roman Stearns et al., a judge upheld the University of California's rejection of A Beka publications for preparatory use because the books are "inconsistent with the viewpoints and knowledge generally accepted in the scientific community."[39][40]

Lol, sure...listen to the guy that would agree with what you say, even if it's wrong. Why not see for yourself if your abeka "education" matches up to what kids have to know in NYS?

I think abeka is ahead of people at school actually...

mikey

unmotivated

braix

On another note, I took a math assessment and it was way too easy and I finished first so I probably failed it
Quote from: MaestroUGC on August 19, 2015, 12:22:27 PMBraixen is a wonderful [insert gender] with beautiful [corresponding gender trait] and is just the darlingest at [stereotypical activity typically associated with said gender] you ever saw.

Pianist Da Sootopolis

Or your hidden math genius is showing up. One of the two.
what is shitpost

Hero of Trains

Quote from: Dudeman on May 22, 2015, 06:24:42 PM
See guys? Trains isn't nice all the time.
Quote from: also Dudeman
Trains is so nice that I'm sure she'd resurrect herself for a few minutes to compliment you back

ThatGamer

Quote from: braixen1264 on August 25, 2015, 08:22:20 PMOn another note, I took a math assessment and it was way too easy and I finished first so I probably failed it

Yeah, I'm sure you're smart!

Waddle Bro

Quote from: BlackDragonSlayer on August 25, 2015, 05:44:01 PMJust how narrow-minded are you, now?
lmaoo honey before calling me narrow-minded go get the mirror before you're gonna act like jesus of open-mindedness
shoutouts bds literally famous for every time when he is wrong, he refuses to accept it and finally ends up retaliating with the argument "you're not making any sense :P"

edit loooooooool
Quote from: BlackDragonSlayer on August 25, 2015, 05:47:13 PMThat also makes very little sense in the current situation.
Quote from: BlackDragonSlayer on August 25, 2015, 06:09:34 PMI'm not sure you even know what you're talking about at this point! :P

BlackDragonSlayer

Quote from: Waddle Bro on August 25, 2015, 11:53:26 PMlmaoo honey before calling me narrow-minded go get the mirror before you're gonna act like jesus of open-mindedness
shoutouts bds literally famous for every time when he is wrong, he refuses to accept it and finally ends up retaliating with the argument "you're not making any sense :P"
Yes, excellent comeback. Not only do you not address the issue at all, you immediately retaliate with mudslinging, and continue to act as arrogant and misinformed as before.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber