The Post Your Thoughts of the Moment Thread 2

Started by Harvest, February 22, 2008, 12:40:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ThatGamer

Quote from: braixen1264 on August 24, 2015, 08:27:49 PMYou did, but your IQ is so low that you cant even figure out where it lists your score

I looked everywhere...
Quote from: Altissimo on August 29, 2015, 12:00:16 PM
Since I haven't heard from her personally I don't wanna be like "YO HERE'S THE CHATROOM OK"

mayastarr041

Quote from: blueflower999 on August 24, 2015, 08:25:35 PMPicture the Uranium bomb that blew up Hiroshima. Francium is significantly more radioactive than Uranium. Also, if it touches water, it will explode violently. Presumably. No one's ever seen a piece big enough to try it.

Does that answer your question for you?
Unodecium isn't an element. Ununoctium is element 118 and hasn't been named yet. Californium and Einsteinium are both super radioactive elements that don't occur in nature and have to be made in a laboratory.
1st one, kind of? I've heard of the atomic/hydrogen bomb. They could be the same as the Uranium bomb, but wow, that is a big explosion.
And are all the dang elements radioactive? Well besides Hydrogen and Helium, is like the gases, bromine, and all those elements radioactive?
Hero of Trains is the BEST! Love you girl!

Maelstrom

Blue will get to this before me, but....
Elements are only radioactive when they are unstable.
As the atoms get bigger and bigger as you move down and across the table, they become less and less stable.
iirc, just about everything past lead (pb) is radioactive, but the first few elements after it may not be. I don't remember Bismuth being radioactive, so that might be one.
And Technetium is the exception.

edit: Nope, he didn't.
I guess I'll just wait for him to correct me.

Hero of Trains

No. I counted 38 radioactive elements. Elements can be toxic without being radioactive.

Also, Mael, I sure hope bismuth isn't radioactive, because I have about 300 grams worth in crystals right next to me.
Quote from: Dudeman on May 22, 2015, 06:24:42 PM
See guys? Trains isn't nice all the time.
Quote from: also Dudeman
Trains is so nice that I'm sure she'd resurrect herself for a few minutes to compliment you back

blueflower999

Quote from: Maelstrom on August 24, 2015, 08:28:25 PMAnything starting with Uno is a placeholder name until the table is updated with the official name when it is successfully created in a lab long enough to measure its properties slightly, and after the name is finalized.

All those elements with weird names are just highly radioactive elements that last for very, very short periods of time.
They are named by the people who successfully created them first, and they can name them whatever the heck they want.

edit: triple ninja'd
And Blue said it better
Nothing on the table starts with "Uno." They start with "Un." The name convention is that element 123, for example, would be named "Unbitrium." There's a Latin prefix that corresponds to each number while they work out an actual name for the element.

And actually, they can't name it whatever they want. There's a super strict committee called the International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry (IUPAC) that's super strict with what names they'll allow and what they won't. They're also why some elements are on the table for decades without receiving names.

Quote from: mayastarr041 on August 24, 2015, 08:28:58 PM1st one, kind of? I've heard of the atomic/hydrogen bomb. They could be the same as the Uranium bomb, but wow, that is a big explosion.
And are all the dang elements radioactive? Well besides Hydrogen and Helium, is like the gases, bromine, and all those elements radioactive?
No, not all elements are radioactive. Well, at least probably not. Essentially anything past Bismuth (83) is radioactive, and some people consider Bismuth to be radioactive too. Technetium (43) and Promethium (61) are radioactive too but they're special.

Also, liquid Bromine is honestly more dangerous to have around than Uranium in my opinion. Eugh it's just really nasty stuff.
Bulbear! Blueflower999

Ruto

Quote from: blueflower999 on August 24, 2015, 08:11:02 PMI did mention it, I just didn't say it explicitly. Yes, Radon is radioactive. If you had a ton of it in one place it would probably kill you. But most people have it build up in their basement because of the decay of certain rocks in the earth, so you might even breathe it in daily on a small scale. Radon (other than 118 which you'll never see outside a nuclear reactor) is the only radioactive Noble Gas.

It's not even that bad, especially compared to the element that comes after it...

Xenon can actually bond with other elements. I wouldn't be in a place with too high of a concentration of any noble gas, but I think there hasn't been enough of it to test that out. Xenon could be used as anesthesia apparently, so that's another reason you shouldn't breathe it in for teh lulz. Argon is in air, and in light bulbs.

Helium is also a byproduct of radioactive decay.

Quote from: mayastarr041 on August 24, 2015, 08:24:09 PMSpeaking of chemistry, I'm looking at the periodic table of elements and I'm looking at very queer elements like what the heck is Unodecium, and unooctium, and californium, einsteinum...
The confuse me very much.

They don't even live long enough for most experiments and you'll probably never see them in any textbook if you don't study chemistry past two years of college. Anyone remember that guy that got poisoned by polonium? Or radium? There was this guy that ingested enough radium for it to replace calcium in his bones and he had to be buried in a lead coffin.

I seem to be missing a piece of my ear.

ThatGamer

Found it! Only 76, but I guess that's not bad! I've done worse at other tests!

And, I don't understand anything about this conversation, so bye all!
Quote from: Altissimo on August 29, 2015, 12:00:16 PM
Since I haven't heard from her personally I don't wanna be like "YO HERE'S THE CHATROOM OK"

blueflower999

Quote from: Hero of Trains on August 24, 2015, 08:33:41 PMNo. I counted 38 radioactive elements. Elements can be toxic without being radioactive.

Also, Mael, I sure hope bismuth isn't radioactive, because I have about 300 grams worth in crystals right next to me.
It's so extremely slightly radioactive that its half life is longer than the Universe has been around. So it won't hurt you. A banana is probably more dangerous than a crystal of Bismuth.

Plus, it just looks so pretty.  :D
Bulbear! Blueflower999

Hero of Trains

Yeah, I made them myself (don't ask where I got molten bismuth), so I have way too many. They make really good gifts!
Trains is so nice that I'm sure she'd resurrect herself for a few minutes to compliment you back

blueflower999

Quote from: Ruto on August 24, 2015, 08:34:33 PMXenon can actually bond with other elements.
I know, Argon and Krypton can too. You just need to cool them down a bit.

QuoteThey don't even live long enough for most experiments and you'll probably never see them in any textbook if you don't study chemistry past two years of college. Anyone remember that guy that got poisoned by polonium? Or radium? There was this guy that ingested enough radium for it to replace calcium in his bones and he had to be buried in a lead coffin.
My personal favorite is the guy whose jaw fell off after drinking too much radioactive Radium and Thorium.

Quote from: Hero of Trains on August 24, 2015, 08:38:09 PMYeah, I made them myself (don't ask where I got molten bismuth), so I have way too many. They make really good gifts!
Ugh can I have one, I've always wanted some Bismuth. It's one of my favorites.
Bulbear! Blueflower999

mayastarr041

Ooh a science lecture! I'll get my pencil and notebook!
This is a question to anyone with a chemistry background: I just researched the first 2 elements, hydrogen and helium. I read the Hindenberg caught flame because they used....hydrogen to fuel the balloon. I necessarily thought the hydrogen and helium were like. What went wrong? Aren't hydrogen and helium both safe gases?
Hero of Trains is the BEST! Love you girl!

Hero of Trains

Quote from: blueflower999 on August 24, 2015, 08:39:08 PMMy personal favorite is the guy whose jaw fell off after drinking too much radioactive Radium and Thorium.

I feel like that guy got what was coming to him. Why, may I ask, was he drinking Radium?
And yeah, sure, if I could send crystals over the internet.

EDIT: Answered my own question. Wasn't there a period of time where they thought drinking Radium water was good for them?

EDIT 2: If you look at a periodic table, they are on opposite sides. While Helium is a noble gas and won't react to much, Hydrogen is not. Hydrogen has only one valence electron (which is the electron in it's outer shell), so it will bond with other elements. That also makes it more reactive than Helium. Helium is also flammable.
Ninja'd

blueflower999

Quote from: mayastarr041 on August 24, 2015, 08:40:36 PMOoh a science lecture! I'll get my pencil and notebook!
This is a question to anyone with a chemistry background: I just researched the first 2 elements, hydrogen and helium. I read the Hindenberg caught flame because they used....hydrogen to fuel the balloon. I necessarily thought the hydrogen and helium were like. What went wrong? Aren't hydrogen and helium both safe gases?
They're both moderately safe but Hydrogen goes boom when you put it near fire, and Helium to my knowledge does not. That's why your birthday balloons and other things are typically filled with Helium nowadays rather than Hydrogen. It's a lot safer.

Quote from: Hero of Trains on August 24, 2015, 08:42:25 PMI feel like that guy got what was coming to him. Why, may I ask, was he drinking Radium?
And yeah, sure, if I could send crystals over the internet.

EDIT: Answered my own question. Wasn't there a period of time where they thought drinking Radium water was good for them?
Yes, there was a time like that. The logic went something like:

Hotsprings are good for you

Hotsprings are hot because of radioactive rocks

So radioactivity must be good for you!
Bulbear! Blueflower999

Latios212

why does all this cool chemistry stuff happen when I'm away :(
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

MaestroUGC

Quote from: Latios212 on August 24, 2015, 08:45:33 PMwhy does all this cool chemistry stuff happen when I'm away :(
Stop going away, then.
Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.