News:

Don't forget to submit your daily replacement!

Main Menu

The Post Your Thoughts of the Moment Thread 2

Started by Harvest, February 22, 2008, 12:40:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nebbles

I figured guitar is cheaper, but I know I'd still enjoy violin more though...
Quote from: Dudeman on April 13, 2016, 04:54:04 PM
- Nebbles, the beauty with the heart of frozen steel

Maelstrom

Quote from: Dude on July 18, 2015, 07:21:26 PMbut it's so gooooooooooooooooood
The music or the games themselves?
I hate/stink at bullet hell games, and from what I've heard, the community is....... a little too strong, for lack of a better phrase.

Dude

Haha.

There's official fighters and this pokemon clone thing with Touhou characters!!

I made a really sucky competitive team already and it probably sucks lol.

MaestroUGC

Quote from: Nebbles on July 18, 2015, 07:22:02 PMI figured guitar is cheaper, but I know I'd still enjoy violin more though...
Please understand. When it comes to buying an instrument you're doing more than just buying a tool for making music, you're buying a piece of art in and of itself. Instrument makers are artisans, very much in the same vein as sculptors and other forms of art and craftsmanship, and in some cases you are buying something that was years in the making (often with anything dealing with woodwork).

Since you're just starting out, and you're intending to be rather serious with the craft, I suggest finding something in the middle range of price as a sort of "starter instrument". You can always set aside money to buy a higher quality model at a later time.
Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.

Nebbles

Ahh, okay. I need to find a good starter then.

AwesomeYears

Pianist Da Sootopolis

Quote from: MaestroUGC on July 18, 2015, 07:43:13 PMInstrument makers are artisans, very much in the same vein as sculptors and other forms of art and craftsmanship,
Do tell that to all of the Asian piano factories overseas.
If you are intending to be serious, though, he's right, middle of the road price range will do you fine. It's not like a piano, where it's nearly impossible to get a good price on it (as most everyone who's buying either knows what they're doing and tries to rip you off, or  doesn't know the first thing about it) and a pain in the ass to move.
But it could turn out that you absolutely detest playing the violin, then you've lost money.
Try renting an instrument for a while- see about going to a place that takes the rental money you've payed and applies it to a purchase of that model. That way if you find it abhorring, you haven't shelled out hundreds of dollars for something to stare at every day.
what is shitpost

mikey

unmotivated

Olimar12345

Renting is also a great option. Many music stores offer a rent-to-own program, so definitely inquire about that.
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

Nebbles

Pianist Da Sootopolis

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on July 18, 2015, 08:28:31 PMlike Yamaha?
Yamaha, Kawai, Samick, Weber, and all pianos that are supposedly made in the US in the last two decades that aren't Steinway, M & H, Or Charles R. Walter.
Most of the names you'd see on pianos that sound very american are actually stencil brands- where importers will rename their pianos to sound more american or European. There are also fake "american brand" pianos- allegedly there are auctions with pianos that have the Steinway logo stamped on them (but without the name cast into the plate- the only true way to tell if your piano is authentic) and bid up really high. The first is typically seen as a legitimate importers right (as a marketing tactic, seeing as the competition is fierce), the second is criminal.
That said, Yamaha and Kawai also do produce hand built instruments, and those are definitely quality pianos along the lines of Steinway, Bosendorfer & co. But to say that the cheap factory pianos are made by "artisans" (read: machines overseen by people) is untrue.
what is shitpost

MaestroUGC

I shoud've qualified that by saying "quality instruments", because thats something that occurs across all instruments, speed over care. Of course I thought that was obvious, but...

Besides you should do as much research as possible into as many intsrument makers you can before you start shopping to buy.
Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.

Nebbles

AwesomeYears