News:

Up-to-date news?! Preposterous!

Main Menu

The Post Your Thoughts of the Moment Thread 2

Started by Harvest, February 22, 2008, 12:40:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maelstrom

It's called listening skills. Chordify does help a little too, but gets confused easily.

mikey

If you mean by in an analysis you take all the notes for each beat and figure out what chord they fit into.  Then you take whichever note is on the bottom and figure out the inversion as such.  EG if you have a G on the bottom in the left hand and you're playing a 6th on E and C in the right hand in a C major song it'd be a I6/4
unmotivated

Jompa

Pretty sure he means from hearing (not looking), where the answer is just experience in identifying chord types and chord functions.
A good way to start is to listen to the bass and find out what functions the chords on each step of the scale have. After a while it happens on it's own just while listening to any music. Basically you'll need to learn how chord progressions work (and don't work) by listening and looking at a lot of examples which you can later in life refer to in your brain while listening to other progressions, and at some point this starts becomming automatic.
I also recommend getting into jazz harmony as that pretty much has it all, and because jazz modulations are the best thing ever. It may be a shortcut for some.
Birdo for Smash

SlowPokemon

That question fucked me up because it's no problem for me to identify chords but I've never once asked myself why that is or how I do it and I dONT KNOW
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

Jompa

I too had to think really hard for a while..
Birdo for Smash

K-NiGhT

Quote from: SlowPokemon on April 05, 2015, 02:24:38 PMThat question fucked me up because it's no problem for me to identify chords but I've never once asked myself why that is or how I do it and I dONT KNOW
glad I wasn't the only one having this crisis lmao
Quote from: K-NiGhT on April 11, 2024, 11:54:48 AMwow, 20 years

*crumbles into dust and blows away in the wind*

Sebastian

Quote from: K-NiGhT on April 05, 2015, 03:07:25 PMglad I wasn't the only one having this crisis lmao
Ditto.

Also, I just noticed you have a new sig, Knight. Nice! lol

AwesomeYears

K-NiGhT

Quote from: mariolegofan on April 05, 2015, 03:09:46 PMDitto.

Also, I just noticed you have a new sig, Knight. Nice! lol
couldn't resist
Quote from: K-NiGhT on April 11, 2024, 11:54:48 AMwow, 20 years

*crumbles into dust and blows away in the wind*

Bubbles

I can't identify chords for anything...then again, I've never studied any type of theory past learning the notes on the staff. I can't even tell you major/minor, let alone diminished or harmonics or whatever. I'm pretty good at hearing them though, I just need some more discipline through it

mikey

I take loads of theory and still can't do it -_-
unmotivated

MaestroUGC

Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.

AwesomeYears

the_last_sheikah

Hey some friends and I are going to be streaming Smite on twitch, you guys should check it out.
http://www.twitch.tv/ddankm86
You see, we're entertainers. We must keep people smiling. No matter how grim things get, we must always be optimistic!

Latios212

Quote from: Bubbles on April 05, 2015, 04:37:36 PMI can't identify chords for anything...then again, I've never studied any type of theory past learning the notes on the staff.
Me too. I, uh, basically press random keys until I get something that sounds like the original...
Someday I will learn...
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle