The Post Your Thoughts of the Moment Thread 2

Started by Harvest, February 22, 2008, 12:40:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dude

Haven't you ever noticed those were my only interactions with her during the entire time she has been here?

Idk who put sand down your pants, but please stay out of this.

FireArrow

Quote from: Nebbles on January 31, 2015, 11:55:49 PMoh no technology is bad

thomas edison was a witch hurrbudrurr we can't have this witchcraft ruining our lives

Gosh something amazing just happened to me, but why would I talk to my friends if I can just post it on instagram/facebook! Since social interactions are so awkward, I suggest instead of learning good social skills we all just fill in awkward silences by going on our phones! Then again, why even bother hanging out when we have online games and skype! Intimacy is obviously the ability to only communicate touchy subjects through texting! Oh wait, silly me, who even needs friends in the first place when you have tumblr! Fuck those conservative, bigoted irl people! Anyone who thinks technology is bad just doesn't understand that I'm an introvert! Gosh no one understands me except all the nice people on the internet!

I could go on all day, but our society is losing social interactions because technology is a more expedient way to communicate.
Quote from: Dudeman on January 23, 2017, 05:35:59 PM
straight from the department of redundancy department

DrP

I wrote a research paper about the psychological effects of smartphone use.

Based on my research and studies, people view these devices as extensions of their bodies & spend countless hours with them (i.e. I sleep with my phone). Loose/break this "faux appendage" and everything goes to shit. I know that if I leave my phone somewhere, I feel like I have become completely helpless and I have no idea what to do (though it wears off after 2 minutes). Not to mention, whenever I went to lunch or got coffee with friends, one of us would have our noses in our phones texting or on Facebook or doing something. It's something we've become heavily dependent on in our society. Unfortunately, given this technology, it leaves people bored with things quickly and wanting more.

ZeldaFan

It's true. The attention span of most people has now just gone out the window. Plus no one can be patient anymore... I've noticed for some people, if they don't get their instant gratification, they flip their shit. "OMG they took 5 MINUTES to get my chicken nuggets WTF."

DrP, that's the exact reason I still haven't gotten a smartphone. I will have to get one eventually but I'm holding off as long as possible. I don't want to get sucked in to my phone and be on it 24/7. I don't want to pay more attention to my phone than to my friends and family. I'm happy that I don't have Facebook available to me at any time, and honestly, I feel like not relying on a phone all the time has made me better at problem-solving and actually using my brain.

I'm not saying smartphones are bad, they are a useful tool and there are times I wish I had one. I'm just not happy with the current state of most tech-savvy teenagers and young adults that have had this technology for a good portion of their lives. I don't like their attitude about it and the way interaction with these people has changed since I was younger.

Please follow me and my art on Instagram @inspi.red.art :D

Nebbles

That doesn't apply to everyone though. I mean, I still think technology is amazing with what it can do, and if it gives some people a venue to communicate then I'm all for it. Some people can't find social interaction in real life and the internet helps them do that. But ehhh, that's just me.
Quote from: Dudeman on April 13, 2016, 04:54:04 PM
- Nebbles, the beauty with the heart of frozen steel

SlowPokemon

Actually,,,, I totally agree with Nebbles.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

FierceDeity

Quote from: MaestroUGC on February 01, 2015, 09:30:04 AMThat's the fun part!

I can't quite tell whether I should consider this sentiment adventurous or morbid.

Quote from: Dude on February 01, 2015, 10:17:31 AMHaven't you ever noticed those were my only interactions with her during the entire time she has been here?

Idk who put sand down your pants, but please stay out of this.

Idk how that makes it ok
If you have a legitimate problem that can be talked over, take it to PM. If not, and you really want us to "stay out of this", this stuff is probably left unsaid, because from my perspective, you're being a dick to her for no good reason, on a public forum where all can see.

As for technology, I think it's fair to say there are both pros and cons in terms of communication, and rather than arguing whether it is overall good or overall bad, we should try to take advantage of the ways that it can help, and be aware of how it can be detrimental. The more you're aware of how technology limits you, the more steps you can take to curb that limitation.

mikey

Quote from: ZeldaFan on February 01, 2015, 11:43:24 AMIt's true. The attention span of most people has now just gone out the window. Plus no one can be patient anymore... I've noticed for some people, if they don't get their instant gratification, they flip their shit. "OMG they took 5 MINUTES to get my chicken nuggets WTF."

DrP, that's the exact reason I still haven't gotten a smartphone. I will have to get one eventually but I'm holding off as long as possible. I don't want to get sucked in to my phone and be on it 24/7. I don't want to pay more attention to my phone than to my friends and family. I'm happy that I don't have Facebook available to me at any time, and honestly, I feel like not relying on a phone all the time has made me better at problem-solving and actually using my brain.

I'm not saying smartphones are bad, they are a useful tool and there are times I wish I had one. I'm just not happy with the current state of most tech-savvy teenagers and young adults that have had this technology for a good portion of their lives. I don't like their attitude about it and the way interaction with these people has changed since I was younger.
If I were you I would buy one right now before they're the size of a TV

As far as my stance on the whole thing modern technology is incredible.  Sometimes I just sit there and wonder how it works.  I have a smartphone but I hate it and don't use it (except to check my clash every now and then lol and to let my mom know where I am/what I'm doing/how badly I'm wrecking other people when playing magic) and certainly don't consider it an extension of my body like Drp said.  I personally find myself more comfortable with older technology like the stuff from when I was a kid, but I find the modern stuff kinda confusing D: (makes me feel old >.>)

I would love nothing more than to hang out with my friends irl but sometimes I don't have enough time and chatting over skype with a game of league almost compares.  And one of my friends on a mission, I can continue to communicate with him through the power of e-mail.  This forum, it gives me an outlet to improve my musical skill and get feedback too.

I like technology a lot.  But I'm not an antisocial person, in fact as a cashier I have to make social interactions with sometimes less-than-savory people, but I also get to have great conversations with some awesome people (have you ever talked to an old guy?  They're the BEST).  That being said, Zoroark has a good point when he says that people are REPLACING their social interactions with online interactions when in all honesty they should be supplements.
unmotivated

Nebbles

Well, you shouldn't be completely reliant on technology, but at times people don't have a choice. What if your home life is terrible, and the only solace you can get is talking to friends over a forum or Skype or whatever. And sometimes people are just really busy, and can't have the time to meet up, and texting is how people keep in touch. I mean, I can talk to my family in England so easily through Facebook now and that's pretty incredible.
Quote from: Dudeman on April 13, 2016, 04:54:04 PM
- Nebbles, the beauty with the heart of frozen steel

braix

This is a lot of text and I really don't want to read it all.
Can someone give me a quick tl;dr?
Quote from: MaestroUGC on August 19, 2015, 12:22:27 PMBraixen is a wonderful [insert gender] with beautiful [corresponding gender trait] and is just the darlingest at [stereotypical activity typically associated with said gender] you ever saw.

mikey

Quote from: braixen1264 on February 01, 2015, 12:37:03 PMThis is a lot of text and I really don't want to read it all.
Can someone give me a quick tl;dr?
tl dr you're totally right zoro
unmotivated

DrP

Quote from: ZeldaFan on February 01, 2015, 11:43:24 AMIt's true. The attention span of most people has now just gone out the window. Plus no one can be patient anymore... I've noticed for some people, if they don't get their instant gratification, they flip their shit. "OMG they took 5 MINUTES to get my chicken nuggets WTF."

I remember the days when I wanted to hang out with someone or play, I had to physically call them or go over to their house and see what they were doing.

For me, I love my smartphone. I need it for work, but everything else it does is amazing. It has my calendar. It gives me easy access to things I use a lot and I can even pay for my groceries using it. It is certainly an amazing tool, however people succumb to it's power. Smartphones are certainly fantastic, but we just need not let them take control of our lives.

And honestly I can't wait for CarPlay/Android Auto to be available and I will be ordering the Apple Watch when it becomes available for consumers!

FierceDeity

Quote from: Nebbles on February 01, 2015, 12:13:44 PMWell, you shouldn't be completely reliant on technology, but at times people don't have a choice. What if your home life is terrible, and the only solace you can get is talking to friends over a forum or Skype or whatever. And sometimes people are just really busy, and can't have the time to meet up, and texting is how people keep in touch. I mean, I can talk to my family in England so easily through Facebook now and that's pretty incredible.

My point is really, it's going to be very difficult to find somebody who both has access to this technology, and is either only enabled or only limited by it. It's true that the internet can be a solace to a terrible home life, but even if that were their only option (assuming that reading, playing games, listening to music, and just getting out of the house for any entertainment and/or social purposes don't work), it's still possible to be limited in educational, social, and professional situations.

Tl;dr do not deal in absolute good, nor absolute badness. Nothing is that simple, and we need to evaluate each situation with individual discretion.

FireArrow

There's certain situations that aren't salvageable, I'll give you that, but escaping the world via technology is so easy to do that people forget that they can just go out and make some friends if they're lonely.

If your parents are on drugs and they force you to homeschool, yeah, I can see the internet being a good alternative. The problem is there's so many people out there who have the excuse "boohoo I'm introverted and socially awkward."

Don't get me wrong, I'm not completely against technology. I only hate people who use it instead of communication. Basically, if you tell people what goes on in your life through instagram/facebook public posts, then you're doing it wrong. If instead of trying to make friends you complain on forums/tumblr/reddit about how lonely you are, you're doing it wrong. If you use texting to arrange hang outs, you're doing it right. If you use facebook to talk to distant relatives/far away friends, you're doing it right.

Just don't replace social interactions with media. We're human beings, we need to socialize, and I'm just so afraid technology is gonna eventually shoehorn us into lonely little bubbles.
Quote from: Dudeman on January 23, 2017, 05:35:59 PM
straight from the department of redundancy department

mikey

Quote from: FireArrow on February 01, 2015, 12:57:21 PMThere's certain situations that are salvageable, I'll give you that, but escaping the world via technology is so easy to do that people forget that they can just go out and make some friends if they're lonely.

If your parents are on drugs and they force you to homeschool, yeah, I can see the internet being a good alternative. The problem is there's so many people out there who have the excuse "boohoo I'm introverted and socially awkward."

Don't get me wrong, I'm not completely against technology. I only hate people who use it instead of communication. Basically, if you tell people what goes on in your life through instagram/facebook public posts, then you're doing it wrong. If instead of trying to make friends you complain on forums/tumblr/reddit about how lonely you are, you're doing it wrong. If you use texting to arrange hang outs, you're doing it right. If you use facebook to talk to distant relatives/far away friends, you're doing it right.

Just don't replace social interactions with media. We're human beings, we need to socialize, and I'm just so afraid technology is gonna eventually shoehorn us into lonely little bubbles.
I need a tl dr

QuoteJust don't replace social interactions with media. We're human beings, we need to socialize, and I'm just so afraid technology is gonna eventually shoehorn us into lonely little bubbles.
some might say this has already happened lol
unmotivated