News:

Local man invests life savings into turnips. When asked whether it was a wise decision he responded, "Eh. I'm sure someone will buy them."

Main Menu

The Post Your Thoughts of the Moment Thread 2

Started by Harvest, February 22, 2008, 12:40:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ruto

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on January 09, 2015, 07:36:18 PMI'm assuming IB is some extracurricular class?
From my experience it's only worth taking a class for college credit

You can get college credit for IB. If you don't, you can learn to work hard at something...

I seem to be missing a piece of my ear.

FierceDeity

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on January 09, 2015, 07:36:18 PMI'm assuming IB is some extracurricular class?
From my experience it's only worth taking a class for college credit

Yes, the massive experience of somebody who's still in high school and hasn't seen the actual results of said plans yet :P

Most colleges love when students take AP and IB, even if they don't accept certain classes or scores for credit. And there are several high schools without access to either (and without realistic ability to take classes at a nearby community college for credit) that they have to take into consideration, so it's not just "credit or we don't give a fuck". In general, you should be taking the most difficult classes within your capacity to perform well in (given a decent amount of effort). Sure, it's a little bit difficult for colleges to gauge which classes are actually more difficult at your school, but they can generally get a pretty good idea. The hardest math class at my high school was our math analysis (aka precalc) honors class, because we had to know how to derive literally every formula. A lot of people dropped down to CP for that year, then just went back up the next. The teacher got removed from the class a year or two after I had him, because he was too cruel to students. And I, like a lot of people, ended up getting my first (and only) C in there (also a B+, but meh). But then colleges looked at my transcript, saw that aside from that class I got straight A's in every honors or AP math class I took, saw that I didn't drop down a level the next year (don't dgaf your senior year, kids), and I can say pretty confidently from the results that I wasn't punished for it.

Oh, and even if IB were just an extracurricular: COLLEGES LOVE EXTRACURRICULARS AND NON-MANDATORY CLASSES (in all cases if it's substantial enough, but especially if it's related to what you want to do).

Do you want to go to college for premed? Volunteer at a hospital, take all bio/anatomy classes you possibly can (also chem! Orgo is the bane of all premed students at my school)

Do you want to go to college for music? Depends what you want to focus on, but do band for 4 years, or choir for 4 years, or orchestra for 4 years, or whatever you can, in or outside of school, for as long as you can.

Do you want to go to college for education? Volunteer at a summer camp, or any place you get to work with children.

Do you want to build a snowman? You get the idea.

These are important things. You don't have to stress that much about it, but start considering how colleges are going to consider your actions NOW.

mikey

excuse you but I'm getting my associate's next semester (for free)
meanie
unmotivated

Yugi

hey

Does the USA have a music grading system similar to Australia's, in which pieces go from preliminary - grade 8?

FireArrow

There's one, but it's kinda shaky from my experience.
Quote from: Dudeman on January 23, 2017, 05:35:59 PM
straight from the department of redundancy department

Jamaha

But how else do we admins get to feel extra special without fancy title exclusivity

Yugi

FierceDeity

Quote from: FierceDeity on January 08, 2015, 09:39:49 PMI try, and for most instruments it works, but the timpani is just so atrocious I can't handle it
Sometimes I just mute it because that sounds better than an oversized roto tom

OH WAIT
OH GOD
I FORGOT ABOUT THE REST OF PERCUSSION

SUSPENDED CYMBAL ROLL IS LITERALLY A VIBRASLAP

KefkaticFanatic

Quote from: InsigTurtle on January 09, 2015, 07:29:27 PMJust wondering.
Is IB worth the tears and frustration?
Or would I be better off staying in normal classes?

I can say something as someone that went all the way and got IB Diploma.

It's a shitton of work, yes, but it helps at least somewhat build the sort of work ethic you'll need in postsecondary education, plus introduce you to at least the early level of work and studying you might encounter.

I would like to think that having the IB program in my applications, and utilizing that fact in my essays helped me get the acceptances I did get, though I could never say that for sure.

I did manage to receive +15 credits just for completing the diploma, and if I had tried hard enough on the HL tests that I had (which were my probably weakest subjects history and english along with one of the most notoriously hard ones physics) I could have gotten some more credits, but I ended up with a fairly substantial amount anyway from some of those same courses that gave me other college credits from Portland State.  If I ended up going to a different school, for example Oregon State, I would have received a great deal more benefit since they just give a lot more bonuses for IB things.  You have to look at where you're applying to see that.  You should consider though that if the credits you get are in your field of study, they may not apply to anything more than a basic elective credit, and you might still have to take courses that would nullify the credits you imported from diploma to satisfy your degree (i.e. those "can get credit in either this or this but one only of them applies to degree)

I do feel that the more rigid structure of IB compared to how AP can just be whatever the hell was an advantage, and like to believe that it helped me as I moved into undergrad, but it's hard to really draw that sort of conclusion without a lot more data than I or you probably have :P

me irl
[close]

Bloop

it's like storming here
i'm not used to this

mikey

Does anyone remember the latest drunk post by SFK?  It was super funny but I can't remember where he posted it.
Same as FierceDeity's colossal grammar error that I quoted for later.
unmotivated

Xaoz

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on January 12, 2015, 08:26:32 PMDoes anyone remember the latest drunk post by SFK?  It was super funny but I can't remember where he posted it.

You really are a fan of other people making mistakes, aren't you?

Quote from: Bespinben on February 03, 2015, 07:49:27 PM
I give the Bespin seal of approval to Xaoz's critique (^o^)=b

FierceDeity

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on January 12, 2015, 08:26:32 PMFierceDeity's colossal grammar error that I quoted for later

Wait when was this
And was it an actual drunk post

SuperFireKirby

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on January 12, 2015, 08:26:32 PMDoes anyone remember the latest drunk post by SFK?  It was super funny but I can't remember where he posted it.
I know I made a really not funny one once, but can't recall any funny ones. But I also used to post things after smoking "tobacco" on occasion as well, tho. Could've been one of those.

I'm kinda glad I've stopped all that shit.

Quote from: Mashi on March 26, 2013, 05:54:37 PMAfter viewing both FMA:Brotherhood and Naruto Shippuden, it would be frivolous to even consider watching an anime as unbearably mediocre as Melancholy. NARUTOxHINATA 4 LYFE!!!

K-NiGhT

Quote from: K-NiGhT on April 11, 2024, 11:54:48 AMwow, 20 years

*crumbles into dust and blows away in the wind*