News:

We seem to have trapped one of the mods within the forum's code... and we're not sure how to get him out. Oh well, he'll figure it out!

Main Menu

The Post Your Thoughts of the Moment Thread 2

Started by Harvest, February 22, 2008, 12:40:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KefkaticFanatic

What you're mostly supposed to get about it is that ln(N!) ≈ NlnN - N, especially with very large N :P

Note that this, like the gamma function, can get you factorials of non-integers, which is kind of weird so don't try to think about it too much.

me irl
[close]

Bloop

mikey

You should have used MATLAB and made a vector script.
Would have solved it in a few minutes tops.
unmotivated

Zunawe

Quote from: KefkaticFanatic on October 24, 2014, 12:45:33 AMThat's because you shouldn't be doing that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stirling%27s_approximation
The goal of the program is just to handle big numbers, not specifically to calculate factorials of them. This is just what I did when I got bored and wanted to see how long it would take.

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on October 24, 2014, 06:22:49 AMYou should have used MATLAB and made a vector script.
Would have solved it in a few minutes tops.
Only if it can create a theoretically infinitely large number not stored in an array.
You know you've been playing too much Dragon Quest when you're afraid your Hershey's Kisses are going to flee.

I program things

braix

Quote from: MaestroUGC on August 19, 2015, 12:22:27 PMBraixen is a wonderful [insert gender] with beautiful [corresponding gender trait] and is just the darlingest at [stereotypical activity typically associated with said gender] you ever saw.

SlowPokemon

Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

K-NiGhT

Quote from: K-NiGhT on April 11, 2024, 11:54:48 AMwow, 20 years

*crumbles into dust and blows away in the wind*

braix

Quote from: MaestroUGC on August 19, 2015, 12:22:27 PMBraixen is a wonderful [insert gender] with beautiful [corresponding gender trait] and is just the darlingest at [stereotypical activity typically associated with said gender] you ever saw.

Ruto

Quote from: KefkaticFanatic on October 24, 2014, 01:50:55 AMWhat you're mostly supposed to get about it is that ln(N!) ≈ NlnN - N, especially with very large N :P

Note that this, like the gamma function, can get you factorials of non-integers, which is kind of weird so don't try to think about it too much.

Ooh put this in the math thread xD

I seem to be missing a piece of my ear.

Nebbles

I'm actually working on arranging something. It's exciting.
Quote from: Dudeman on April 13, 2016, 04:54:04 PM
- Nebbles, the beauty with the heart of frozen steel

FireArrow

Quote from: Dudeman on January 23, 2017, 05:35:59 PM
straight from the department of redundancy department

Nebbles

I will. It'll take a bit, but god dammit it's gonna get done.

Bubbles

give me some of that arranging motivation ugh

Nebbles

The Deku Trombonist

Apparently Rolling Stones + opening night of opera = worst attendance here at an opening night in living memory. Hopefully it picks up not that I even get to see the audience...