News:

Rest in pepperoni, Mario Mario, 1981 - 2021
He will be missed by all, except for me! WARIO, NUMBER ONE!

Main Menu

The Post Your Thoughts of the Moment Thread 2

Started by Harvest, February 22, 2008, 12:40:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikey

Quote from: zoroark1264 on August 22, 2014, 01:19:18 PMincluding the os, monitor, keyboard, etc. it would cost even more. $900-$1000 is the cheapest it'll get.
But I would assume she's already got those since she said "new" computer

I'm pretty sure you could get a better deal than 1000 easily

of course I could have no idea what I'm talking about too but that NEVER happens
unmotivated

braix

i guess so. I take that back, 600 is the lowest but you cant play a lot of games too well,
Quote from: MaestroUGC on August 19, 2015, 12:22:27 PMBraixen is a wonderful [insert gender] with beautiful [corresponding gender trait] and is just the darlingest at [stereotypical activity typically associated with said gender] you ever saw.

mikey

Quote from: zoroark1264 on August 22, 2014, 01:29:41 PMi guess so. I take that back, 600 is the lowest but you cant play a lot of games too well,
boy I have been playing league on a 380 dollar laptop.
You can play games just fine on a cheap computer lol
unmotivated

Roz~

Quote from: zoroark1264 on August 22, 2014, 01:19:18 PMincluding the os, monitor, keyboard, etc. it would cost even more. $900-$1000 is the cheapest it'll get.

I already have alla dat

Quote from: zoroark1264 on August 22, 2014, 01:29:41 PMi guess so. I take that back, 600 is the lowest but you cant play a lot of games too well,

Not a lot of games I want to play tbh, and I'm not a graphics whore so I don't really mind having a cheaper PC. It's just, the price surprised me 'cause I asked for something not too expensive and then he tells me about that $1000 build I should get.

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on August 22, 2014, 01:46:38 PMboy I have been playing league on a 380 dollar laptop.

^this
I've been playing League/Diablo 3 on my cheap ass Laptop, and a cheap PC would still be better than my laptop.
Quote from: MaestroUGC on February 13, 2013, 01:16:55 PM
Thanks. For a moment there I was worried, though. I almost needed to blow you.

braix

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on August 22, 2014, 01:46:38 PMboy I have been playing league on a 380 dollar laptop.
lol the problem is, $600 is a pretty cheap computer, compared to what you'd usually pay for a pc build. xD

just buy the bare minimum and you can just replace the parts later if you so decide you need anything better. this is all assuming you want to build one. you can probably just buy a retail pc for less if you feel it's better for what you need.
Quote from: MaestroUGC on August 19, 2015, 12:22:27 PMBraixen is a wonderful [insert gender] with beautiful [corresponding gender trait] and is just the darlingest at [stereotypical activity typically associated with said gender] you ever saw.

Roz~

Retail PCs are super expensive and suck most of the time, no?
Anyways I'm gonna see if anyone I know could help me build one. As long as it doesn't cost me $1000 I'm gud.
Quote from: MaestroUGC on February 13, 2013, 01:16:55 PM
Thanks. For a moment there I was worried, though. I almost needed to blow you.

BlackDragonSlayer

This laptop can run Crysis.

It can't run Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare, though.
And the moral of the story: Quit while you're a head.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

Ruto

Quote from: zoroark1264 on August 21, 2014, 11:35:02 PM< This noob doesn't know what it used to be

Click on his user name, then "show posts."

I seem to be missing a piece of my ear.

braix

SuperFireKirby

2012 Harvest is basically current me, but more vocal about his drug use and with a yeast infection.

Quote from: Mashi on March 26, 2013, 05:54:37 PMAfter viewing both FMA:Brotherhood and Naruto Shippuden, it would be frivolous to even consider watching an anime as unbearably mediocre as Melancholy. NARUTOxHINATA 4 LYFE!!!

Maelstrom

I built a great computer for about $800. It won't run any AAA games max graphics, but it's good. It always helps to drive down the price if you can salvage parts from a previous computer, especially the disc drive and hard drive, and get a ssd to go with it. SSD's are awesome.

KefkaticFanatic

Quote from: Roz~ on August 22, 2014, 01:06:07 PMI need a new computer, so friend said he could build me one for cheap.
I didn't know almost $1000 was cheap. Especially considering I told him I don't need a badass graphic card and stuff.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/gjdP8d

You can cut the price down a lot if you don't want an SSD.  They aren't at all necessary, but they will result in a significant speed boost in terms of boot time, starting and loading programs/games, and general OS snappiness.

If you already have a usable power supply and case, that will also reduce the spending.  The graphics card is just one I pulled from the lower end of the toms hardware best graphics for the month, so if you wanted something a bit better I would just follow the guidelines here: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107.html

The power supply could probably also be reduced, but antec is a known good brand, plus with the semi-modular design of that supply you'll deal with a lot less cable mess :D

Building it yourself really isn't that bad though, Ruto had never done anything like it before and managed to successfully build one I picked for her with nothing but a few photo exchanges and phone instructions :D

EDIT: Like maelstrom mentioned, reusing a HDD is still an option, though if it's really old then you might want to consider upgrading just because a 7200 SATA6 is really not so expensive anymore.  If you really needed a disc drive I would just buy a portable one, but I rarely ever use mine so I don't really recommend buying one by default anymore.

EDIT2: o, change the country at top right for your canadian monopoly money pricing

me irl
[close]

Maelstrom

If you can afford it, SSD's have my recommendation. Between a windows re-install and that, my restart time got cut from 3+ minutes to under 60 seconds. I'm never going back.

K-NiGhT

well, i'm all moved in to college! my feet hurt D: i knew i should've bought some Dr. Scholls
Quote from: K-NiGhT on April 11, 2024, 11:54:48 AMwow, 20 years

*crumbles into dust and blows away in the wind*

ETFROXX

I got Toby a Nebraska hoodie and it's the best thing I've ever bought.

Besides him, of course.