The Post Your Thoughts of the Moment Thread 2

Started by Harvest, February 22, 2008, 12:40:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian

Quote from: SuperFireKirby on October 11, 2013, 07:33:00 PMNot necessarily. But like I said, men have a more rigid sexuality. So when a man his gay, he's fuggin' gay. Women tend to be able to flip flop more, hence why college "experimenting"(which is actually way less common than society wants to believe) and bisexual/lesbian phases are only phases some of the time, whereas men generally don't have those phases(especially the lesbian one). Once a man reaches sexual maturity, there is very little chance of his sexuality changing. This is also why straight guys hate seeing each other's junk, whereas women are generally more comfortable with nudity amongst themselves. Cuz men are all like "EW, JUNK!" and women are all like,"IF IT WEREN'T FOR MY DESIRE TO CONFORM TO SOCIETY NORMS AND THE FACT THAT MY BF HAS A ROCK HARD BOD, I'D TOTALLY GET ALL UP IN DAT."

Sexysexysex 101, the SFK way.
Isnt talking about this against the rules?

SlowPokemon

Quote from: SuperFireKirby on October 11, 2013, 07:33:00 PMNot necessarily. But like I said, men have a more rigid sexuality. So when a man his gay, he's fuggin' gay. Women tend to be able to flip flop more, hence why college "experimenting"(which is actually way less common than society wants to believe) and bisexual/lesbian phases are only phases some of the time, whereas men generally don't have those phases(especially the lesbian one). Once a man reaches sexual maturity, there is very little chance of his sexuality changing. This is also why straight guys hate seeing each other's junk, whereas women are generally more comfortable with nudity amongst themselves. Cuz men are all like "EW, JUNK!" and women are all like,"IF IT WEREN'T FOR MY DESIRE TO CONFORM TO SOCIETY NORMS AND THE FACT THAT MY BF HAS A ROCK HARD BOD, I'D TOTALLY GET ALL UP IN DAT."

Sexysexysex 101, the SFK way.

I'm pretty sure my respect for you is somewhere in the negative numbers.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

SuperFireKirby

...for what exactly? I don't believe anything I said was all that controversial or offensive, except maybe to homophobes, morons, and pansies. You can find that shit in most college psychology textbooks. But whatevs.

Quote from: Mashi on March 26, 2013, 05:54:37 PMAfter viewing both FMA:Brotherhood and Naruto Shippuden, it would be frivolous to even consider watching an anime as unbearably mediocre as Melancholy. NARUTOxHINATA 4 LYFE!!!

Waddle Bro

"when men are gay they're fugging gay" gay stereotyping I believe

SuperFireKirby

No, that's male sexuality. Yeah, I could use more textbook terms and shiznit and shiznot, but I'm not one for being serious about...anything, really. BTW it was just suppose to mean if a man is gay the chances of him ever not being gay are, like, 0 to none. Poosibleh some confuzzulusion thar.

Quote from: Mashi on March 26, 2013, 05:54:37 PMAfter viewing both FMA:Brotherhood and Naruto Shippuden, it would be frivolous to even consider watching an anime as unbearably mediocre as Melancholy. NARUTOxHINATA 4 LYFE!!!

Mashi

0 to none is 0 to 0 and thats implying that not being homosexual is impossible

sfk confirms that everyone is homosexual

SuperFireKirby

Mashi gets an A plusplusplusplusplus

CUZ "SUPPOSEDLY" STRAIGHT GUYS LIKE WOMEN BUTTS. BUT YOU KNOW WHO ELSE HAS BUTTS? MEN.

CONCLUSION: EVERYONE IS GAY BECAUSE BUTTS.

Clanker37

Um... he's kinda right lol

Because men have the tenancy to be more focused on what to the point that they can't do anything else, the chances of men inserting more variety into their sex lives is fairly slim. This is especially the case when it comes to sex where evolution drives us to inseminate as many women (or men) as possible. So there is a driving force that is difficult to turn off in our brains which makes us centralize around one gender to which we are attracted. Of course those who are naturally Bisexual enjoy this experience regardless of gender.

Also because men have a tenancy to be more focused on one thing rather than multiple restricts us in terms of variety. The male role in society used to be to hunt, which took a great deal of skill and concentration to perfect. Women had to gather berries and look after the children (This is legitimately what happened. Don't call me sexist! D:) which requires good multitasking skills, which is why they tend to be better at doing lots of things at once, while men can only do one thing at a time, but they can complete the task generally better than a woman who was multitasking while completing it. Of course, in our society we don't see this as prominent as it used to be as it rightly should be, but something so fundamental as sex which has been around since the dawn of time, still calls upon these ancient behaviors because it in itself is an ancient behavior.

Oh and because some gay men use bisexuality as a platform for coming out (they say they're bisexual rather than full out gay) this damages perceptions of actual bisexuals because there is an unreasonable and prejudice expectation that they are actually gay and don't like women.

So men would rather have sex with the gender to which they are attracted to because they're horny and they suck at multitasking. HOWEVER, there are people with fluid sexuality (literally wake up one day liking men after having sex with a woman) would disagree.

I don't actually think this makes sense, but I don't care. SFK has some scientific basis in his comments.

Ninja'd x2

Mashi

I don't think I necessarily buy the evolution argument in this case.  There have to be alternative factors that play a role in sexuality, perhaps social, because if evolutionary factors were end all, we wouldn't have homosexuals or bisexuals at all, because those orientations go against the purpose of evolution allowing for further reproduction and survival.

I feel that the unitasking and multitasking argument is a bit weak.  Because for one thing, leading studies have shown no significant statistical difference in who can multitask better.  There have been a few popularised by a sensationalist media, but such cases are rare and have still shown no significant difference.

Not sure about the faking bisexuality example.  I would imagine it not to be the case, but I can't say I know for sure at all.  Might want to ask more bisexuals (likely anonymously) about it!

I think that the idea of fluid sexuality is the most likely case in orientation.  I don't think that orientation is prenatally set and can change through genetic, social, or internal mental factors.  I think this is part of the reason most people go through a sexual 'discovery' phase in adolescence.

But anyway, I think that the number of alleged bisexual women and men are about the same, given some quick reads of a few Wikipedia articles (though, note that estimates tend to have wide ranges; either way, most studies have about equal percentages between men and women when said studies compare genders relative to the studies themselves).  I think that men just tend to be less expressive about it than women are, or they express it in different ways.  If I recall correctly about a topic on LLF involving the Kinsley Scale, a good deal of male members (well, more like 95% of our members since pretty much all of us are guys!!!) put themselves a bit near the middle.  And nearly all of them admitted to having had some sort of homosexual thought or experience.  So I don't think I really agree on the notion that men tend to be more resolved on focusing on one gender for their sexuality than women.

Clanker37

Certainly, evolution does not contribute to sexuality in the slightest because, you are right, we'd died out centuries ago. But evolution does give us essential behaviors, regardless of sexuality like fight or flight response, and due to the long term use of these acts evolution has ensured that they continue. Indeed a man whom inseminates as many women as he can, has more children and therefore contributes greatly to the elongation of the gene in male species.

I have not seen these studies. I subside this argument.

I have heard and read stories of bisexual men whom have been left dateless by a woman simply for being bisexual. That was the basis of this argument.

I disagree. While there are a people whom which their sexuality is fluid, most of the population enjoy a solid sexual orientation. But in saying that, I would certainly be surprised if someone was 100% straight or 100% gay. I have certainly seen women whom I recognized the fact that they looked good and I wouldn't hesitate in the slightest to have a drink with them, however on the larger scale I see more men whom fit this category for me, hence why I classify myself as gay, even though technically, I'm bisexual. Though I do hope you aren't suggesting that homosexuality is caused by parental behavior or, even more shocking, that it is a choice.

I agree with you that men certainly do have homosexual feelings (or heterosexual) sometimes, but I think that if were to share with their peers, particularity in a heterosexual environment, they would be scrutinized, hence why we don't see men whom flaunt that they see a man who looks good to often, if they are 'straight' and more women who do.

Mashi

I don't think it can be argued that sexual orientation can either be fluid or definite, to be honest.  It's too variable, it would have to be one or the other.  And I'm more supportive of fluidity anyway; the human mind is susceptible to change, and since sexual orientation can be rationalised by the mind (of which both are affected by genetic factors, social factors, and (debatably) free will), so I don't think it's farfetched to believe that orientation can be fluid.
And yes, I am suggesting that sexual orientation is a choice.  An analogy I use to explain my reasoning is that of intelligence; people generally want to be intelligent, yet despite everyone wishing for it, only a few people achieve it.  We coerce students to study in schools (much like how homosexuals were (and still are) forced to convert into heterosexuals), yet they don't become smarter.  Because in the end, it's their choice to absorb in studies or truly change to become intelligent.  Sometimes, factors interfere in whether they can achieve their goals (eg. faulty memory, lack of attention, dyslexia, schizophrenia, etc.), but the choice always remains.  If sexual orientation weren't a choice, why would people have to 'discover' it?  If it were innate, there would be no need for a stage in life to find.

And I think that if both men and women do feel some sort homosexual/heterosexual tendencies but express it differently, it would mean that they're rather similar in regard to orientation, no?  I also feel that if orientation is variable, it won't reach a constant phase.  Nothing at all about humanity remains constant, so why would orientation?  Cells mutate and die, thoughts change, the brain changes, social factors occur, and much more.  I don't really see why of all things, orientation would be the only thing to stay constant in any person.

KefkaticFanatic

Quote from: Mashi on October 11, 2013, 11:52:38 PMThere have to be alternative factors that play a role in sexuality, perhaps social, because if evolutionary factors were end all, we wouldn't have homosexuals or bisexuals at all, because those orientations go against the purpose of evolution allowing for further reproduction and survival.

I remember reading before about a theory that it could be linked to an evolutionary prevention of overpopulation, which can result in population-ravishing diseases etc.  But I have no idea if it was even something considered credible or just some random postulation.

me irl
[close]

SlowPokemon

Quote from: SuperFireKirby on October 11, 2013, 10:22:47 PM...for what exactly? I don't believe anything I said was all that controversial or offensive, except maybe to homophobes, morons, and pansies. You can find that shit in most college psychology textbooks. But whatevs.

You basically said that if a man is bisexual it's just a phase.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

Clanker37

@Mashi

Hmm... I suppose given the right circumstances a change or an experience of fluidity of sexuality might occur. Not often, but certainly possible.

So, you're saying that homosexual actions are choices, but the desire and emotions behind them aren't? Interesting.

Oh I see. That makes perfect sense!

Thank you for this delightful discussion!

Quote from: KefkaticFanatic on October 12, 2013, 02:44:15 AMI remember reading before about a theory that it could be linked to an evolutionary prevention of overpopulation, which can result in population-ravishing diseases etc.  But I have no idea if it was even something considered credible or just some random postulation.
That is a legitimate theory. There's also the gay-uncle theory which says that a gay man would help the women with child rearing and other effeminate tasks. Although, it may remain a mystery until the end of time!
Quote from: SlowPokemon on October 12, 2013, 06:56:19 AMYou basically said that if a man is bisexual it's just a phase.
Oh my goodness, you are correct. I apologize if anything I said was similarly bigoted.

SuperFireKirby

Quote from: SlowPokemon on October 12, 2013, 06:56:19 AMYou basically said that if a man is bisexual it's just a phase.
I did not. I said the exact opposite, in fact. Phases are MORE COMMON AMONG WOMEN BECAUSE WOMEN HAVE A MORE FLUID SEXUALITY. A MAN'S SEXUAL ORIENTATION, INCLUDING BISEXUALITY, RARELY EVER CHANGES. Does the all caps clarify it a bit? I hope so.