News:

Be sure to tell your friends about NinSheetMusic!

Main Menu

The Post Your Thoughts of the Moment Thread 2

Started by Harvest, February 22, 2008, 12:40:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Olimar12345

Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

Concerto No.20 in D minor

BDS, you do realize I was messing with you?  Most posts were complete nonsense.

MaestroUGC

Man, I've picked the best time to start Let's Playing.
Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.

blueflower999

Speaking of LPing, what's all this about Nintendo taking away LPers revenue?
Bulbear! Blueflower999

SlowPokemon

And why shouldn't they? They created the games, not the freaking LPers.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

blueflower999

Wow, someone's a bit insensitive to people with hundreds of thousands of followers losing their jobs.  :P
Bulbear! Blueflower999

SlowPokemon

Someone's a bit insensitive to the fact that Nintendo isn't receiving payment for people experiencing their games. I can't tolerate the creator of art of any sort not receiving payment for their work.

That's not a job, btw.

Nebbles

Well, some people make a living off their LPing....
Quote from: Dudeman on April 13, 2016, 04:54:04 PM
- Nebbles, the beauty with the heart of frozen steel

blueflower999

If Chuggaaconroy stops LPing (which I doubt, but if he does) I'm going to shoot someone.
Bulbear! Blueflower999

MaestroUGC

I'm sorry, but anybody who thinks that "Playing Video Games for the Internet" would give them any sort of job security in the future are f****** morons.

Let's Playing is a hobby, and I don't feel sorry for people who put all of their options into this one basket; something like this was bound to happen sooner or later. Is Nintendo being a bit dickish about it? Sure, a little, but at the same time so are the people who are profiting off of content they didn't make. You can't honestly tell me that talking over a product somebody else made is enough to change the original to be able to call it yours.

In fact, I think this is a good thing, since a lot of the terrible LPers are the people who just cam-whore for money, with little to no meaningful content. People who obviously begging for views to where it becomes about them, not the game, which is what Let's Plays are all about. With any luck these people will just fade away.

On the flipside, Nintendo could've handled it better, but they did do much better than SEGA did when they shut down channels wholesale with anything regarding Shining Ark. If anything they could split the profits, but you are insane that the LPer will receive the larger portion of the profits than Nintendo.

It's really quite simple, Let's Play would not exist without the Games.

Also, the Runaway Guys (Notably ProtonJon of Something Awful fame) have gone on record and said they won't stop Let's playing. People like that are the LPs I prefer watching. They're in it for the fun of it all, not the money.

Nebbles

Yeah, I knew TRG wouldn't stop. They're in for fun and making viewers happy.

I do know a few LPers who SHOULD stop because they're awful and greedy assholes, but yeah.

Nintendo does deserve money, you know? We wouldn't have these people without them.

MaestroUGC

I've wanted to do Let's Plays for a few years now, but never really had a chance to do so until now. I never wanted to do it for the money, I just wanted to do it because it looks fun, and it is fun now that I've done it.

I have a problem accepting money for things I produce that are derivative of other peoples' work. Whenever I do stuff like this it's because I want to celebrate the original, not to ride on its coat-tails.

Nebbles

It'd be nice, but LPing is just a fun hobby for me. I want to let other people hear my thoughts on the games and how I play 'em, and throw in praise for Nintendo and whatnot in the mix.

So... yeah, it's not a huge issue. I can see why Nintendo is doing it.

SlowPokemon

I agree. Even I enjoy the occasional LP (especially when it's someone I know like Nebu or Dudeman. However, there isn't much reason to complain, especially considering Nintendo didn't even take the videos down.