The Post Your Thoughts of the Moment Thread 2

Started by Harvest, February 22, 2008, 12:40:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jompa

Oh cool, I didn't know people went to Norway on vacation :P
But yeah, I remember that day too - I was actually not far from Bryggja - There was this awkward mood where people didn't know what they should and shouldn't talk about.
In Oslo, people are smart, but over at the west coast, people have become so racist! I have family there, hence I was in Stordal on the day of the explosion, and they are not afraid to openly admit that they wholeheartedly support Breivik, the terrorist, only that they think he should have killed black people and gypsies instead of Norwegian kids <-- notice how horrible that sounds - but I'm serious! I even overheard some people on the ferry (and they had kids!!!!) that said that "Breivik did what was necessary", and the kids agreed!
My cousin is even blaming the muslims for the bomb!!!!
God, I just hate everyone over there..
Birdo for Smash

Nebbles

Quote from: BlackDragonSlayer on April 16, 2013, 09:57:39 PMI don't think that:Would be considered terrorists (definition being: "The use of violence and intimidation in the pursuit of political [or any hostile purpose, for that matter] aims").

And? How do you know? We don't even know who the bombers are yet. It could very well be a group of kids.
Quote from: Dudeman on April 13, 2016, 04:54:04 PM
- Nebbles, the beauty with the heart of frozen steel

FSM-Reapr

Where the fuck can kids get bombs

well i know that they can get alcohol, drugs and cigarettes but i have no experience on bombs

Jamaha

Make them. Remember Petri Gerdt?

Well, he was 19 but still. Could be considered a "kid" in this context (compared to, say, terrorists). The bomber(s) could have a similar motive to school shooters, in that they only wanted to cause destruction.

FSM-Reapr

Cobraroll

Quote from: fank009 on April 16, 2013, 02:59:06 AMThoughts for the moment- How do i poke my self in to this community???

Just engage in the discussion. You had bad luck with your introduction here, both posting in the middle of an ongoing discussion, as well as getting the last post on the page. But don't worry, you're very welcome to NSM!

Concerning the discussion at hand, the Boston bombings, I think it's another homebrew terrorist at large. He's probably alone about it too. The FBI has a damn big and efficient network running to find out about such schemes well before they are executed. The most common way to catch perpetrators is intercepting their communications (just look at all the other uncovered terrorist plots in later years - a plot to blow up a store in Chicago springs to mind).

However, a "lone wolf" won't need to communicate with anybody, or flaunt his grand scheme to others. No communication lines makes it extremely difficult to pick him up. After all, such was the case with Breivik - lots of inconspicious and fully legal actions were put together to form a grand plan. However, it was impossible to see what he was planning without actively looking for patterns. People buy fake police uniforms all the time, guns are legal if the right procedure is followed to acquire them, and there are lots of farmers who regularly buy large quantities of fertilizer. The plan wasn't shared with anybody, and thus it was impossible for PST to pick it up. I'd wager the same to be the case here. Somebody working on his own. You've already had the Oklahoma bombing, the Unabomber and the bombing of a park during the Atlanta olympics (two dead, dozens wounded). Acquiring the required knowledge and chemicals is often quite unproblematic, and until they are assembled into a bomb it's not even illegal. From then on it's only a matter of finding a way to detonate the device, and to look inconspicious when the bomb is planted. Pretty much nothing can prevent a guy from setting one off if he manages to keep calm and not raise attention.

Getting caught later, on the other hand, is another matter. I think the perpetrator will be identified and found quite soon. The FBI are quite skilled at this sort of thing, all of Boston keep eyes out for their neighbours too. Until the terrorist's agenda is revealed, he won't get any sympathy from anybody either (as Jompa touched upon, some people will sympathize with pretty much anything if it was done for a reason they agree with - but all that has been done now is killing innocents, and that won't give you any support from anybody).
Emergence - a story exclusive to NSM

Yes, I'm still around from time to time. For quicker response, you can reach me by PM, or drop by Smogon to say hi. I go by "Codraroll" there, because of a bet.

Ruto

This whole situation is horrible but I just can't stand people bringing up conspiracy theories or using this as an excuse to defame politicians/government. Seriously...they have no lives -.-

I seem to be missing a piece of my ear.

Jompa

Quote from: fank009 on April 16, 2013, 02:59:06 AMThoughts for the moment- How do i poke my self in to this community???
Congratulations, you are now poked in :)
Birdo for Smash

BlackDragonSlayer

Quote from: Nebbles on April 17, 2013, 03:53:20 AMAnd? How do you know? We don't even know who the bombers are yet. It could very well be a group of kids.
Did you even read Bubbles' post?? :P

I think Cobraroll has a logical idea, though.
And the moral of the story: Quit while you're a head.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

Zunawe

Quote from: blueflower999 on April 16, 2013, 01:31:30 PMI personally think everyone might be just a little overreacting. If they were going to bomb multiple places, wouldn't we have seen the results by now? Besides, if this was an enormous and well thought out terrorist plot, I'm surprised they didn't cause a bigger explosion at the marathon.
Yes, this was posted a few pages ago, but I just now read it. The point of a terrorist bombing is to cause terror. If you can injure many people, it will affect more people overall in a personal way. It's sick, but they would consider 100 ordinary people seriously injured, but alive, much more valuable than 10 dead.

Quote from: BlackDragonSlayer on April 16, 2013, 09:57:39 PMI don't think that [students] would be considered terrorists (definition being: "The use of violence and intimidation in the pursuit of political [or any hostile purpose, for that matter] aims").
And to this, I give you the same argument. We don't know why they do it, but the only reason is to cause terror. A car bomb in New York had no political purpose. It just scared people. Therefore, anybody with a grudge toward society could be capable and willing to do something like this.
You know you've been playing too much Dragon Quest when you're afraid your Hershey's Kisses are going to flee.

I program things

BlackDragonSlayer

Quote from: Zunawe on April 17, 2013, 02:43:08 PMAnd to this, I give you the same argument. We don't know why they do it, but the only reason is to cause terror. A car bomb in New York had no political purpose. It just scared people. Therefore, anybody with a grudge toward society could be capable and willing to do something like this.
Once again: that's not what I was trying to say... The theoretical people mentioned in my quote and Bubbles' are just:
Quote from: Bubbles7689 on April 16, 2013, 03:08:14 PMa small group of kids or something that thought it would be funny
Their purpose would not be to cause terror (merely to do something they find "funny," not intending any harm, which was what I brought up about the degradation of our society), and they certainly don't have any grudges toward society.

Now, I say, this is a great time to use the quote in my signature (or, a variation of it); why don't we just "Quit while we're ahead."
And the moral of the story: Quit while you're a head.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

FSM-Reapr

Quote from: Zunawe on April 17, 2013, 02:43:08 PMYes, this was posted a few pages ago, but I just now read it. The point of a terrorist bombing is to cause terror. If you can injure many people, it will affect more people overall in a personal way. It's sick, but they would consider 100 ordinary people seriously injured, but alive, much more valuable than 10 dead.
And to this, I give you the same argument. We don't know why they do it, but the only reason is to cause terror. A car bomb in New York had no political purpose. It just scared people. Therefore, anybody with a grudge toward society could be capable and willing to do something like this.
And with this post Zunawe made a decision he'll always regret.

He started an argument war against BDS

Bubbles

Quote from: BlackDragonSlayer on April 18, 2013, 02:30:57 AMOnce again: that's not what I was trying to say... The theoretical people mentioned in my quote and Bubbles' are just:

Their purpose would not be to cause terror (merely to do something they find "funny," not intending any harm, which was what I brought up about the degradation of our society), and they certainly don't have any grudges toward society.

woah there buddy. I never said they werent trying to cause harm. Believe it or not, some people find exploding innocents funny

SuperFireKirby

...okay, I've reached the conclusion that all of you are idiots.

Except for FSM. He's just plain sexy.

Quote from: Mashi on March 26, 2013, 05:54:37 PMAfter viewing both FMA:Brotherhood and Naruto Shippuden, it would be frivolous to even consider watching an anime as unbearably mediocre as Melancholy. NARUTOxHINATA 4 LYFE!!!

Dude