The Post Your Thoughts of the Moment Thread 2

Started by Harvest, February 22, 2008, 12:40:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mashi

Quote from: Cobraroll on July 24, 2012, 10:52:47 AMYou'd be surprised to see a prison in the Nordic countries.

I think the American justice system is a lot more focused on punishment rather than prevention. The USA has more than 1/200 of its population in jail at any time (1.7 million people), that's far more than any comparable nation. Over here it's about 1/1200 (about 3000 inmates in a country of five million). It's the mentality of revenge that makes the system so expensive; the government has to pay so that every little criminal can have his fair share of miserability behind bars.

Also, as stated it is cheaper to put a guy in prison for life than executing him. It's a lot less red tape, less administrative costs and less media spetacle. Besides, he gets a lifetime to consider the things he's done, and a constant reminder that he could have been free for all those years if he simply hadn't.
Plus the extra treatment in the shower, if the urban legends are true.
I feel that the American justice system is more focused on protecting society from criminals than from actually punishing them.  If we were punishing the criminals, I would imagine that punishment would include more consequences than simply being stuck in a building while living in squalid conditions.  That's why I feel we have parole and probation (though, it could be argued that they're simply to reduce overcrowding); if we're punishing criminals, we probably wouldn't ease their punishment for good behaviour.
I can already hear the argument of recidivism though, so I'll address that also.  I feel that the reasons for high recidivism rates isn't necessarily because ex-inmates are incorrigible or desire to return to prison, but because crime is the only method they can use to sustain subsistence.  Who would ever hire an ex-criminal, after all?

In regard to the death penalty, the costs of it could certainly be reduced.  If I'm correct, the majority of the expense comes from hosting the trials and appeals (as you've stated yourself), which could be minimised with a few amendments to our justice system (though, I would imagine it to be a difficult task).
However, in my opinion, I feel that the death penalty isn't of much use.  There isn't significant proof that it hinders crimes from occurring in comparison to life in prison, the number of people to die from the death penalty would most likely be negligible in regard to overcrowding, etc.  Not to mention that it would be a hassle to reform the justice system to accommodate for a cheaper death penalty and (as you mentioned) the media coverage wouldn't be anything to look forward to.

I have no clue where I was going with this post.

DrP

I stole something when I was in Germany 5 years ago...

I guess it can finally be put to good use. Except it doesn't really fit... good for nothing American car! hahaha.

KefkaticFanatic

You seem to be forgetting the fact that they are considered correctional facilities, and in many cases can actually reform people with relatively minor offenses and allow for reasonable reintegration into society.

me irl
[close]

Mashi

There's rehabilitation too, but, as you stated, they're more effective for minor offenses.  I meant to direct my post primarily to those incapacitated for more serious crimes (and therefore, longer years).  I apologise for not clarifying.

the_last_sheikah

TOPIC CHANGE!

This season of Hell's Kitchen sucks.  No one can cook, and there's about as much drama as an episode of Jersey Shore.
You see, we're entertainers. We must keep people smiling. No matter how grim things get, we must always be optimistic!

KefkaticFanatic

Brian seems decent but everyone else is an assclown especially the fat lady.

me irl
[close]

SlowPokemon

Assclown....Kefka always uses the most intriguing terminology

I think assclown is a thing now
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

SlowPokemon

Omg
http://itunes.apple.com/jp/album/pokemonburakku2-howaito2-supamyujikkukonpurito/id538705584
pokemon black 2 and white 2 soundtrack has been released on itunes in japan

WANTWANTWANTWANTWANTWANTWANT....

Nebbles

Quote from: Dudeman on April 13, 2016, 04:54:04 PM
- Nebbles, the beauty with the heart of frozen steel

Ruto

Great chat today, guys xD Next times fingerz gets on, we're acting out this scene though :D

I seem to be missing a piece of my ear.

Jub3r7

Marge: I'll just have a cup of coffee
Bartender: Beer it is
Marge: No I said coffee
B: Beer
M: COUGH EEE
B: BEE EAR?
M: C - O -
B: B - E -
It's dangerous to go alone, take me with you! [JUB has joined the party.]

universe-X

lol, according to my profile, I'm still posting at a rate of 2 per day.

SlowPokemon

Ahaha the sheer multitude of your earlier posts are holding it at that number

universe-X

lol, you joined half a year later than me and you have over double my amount of posts though xD

SlowPokemon