News:

We seem to have trapped one of the mods within the forum's code... and we're not sure how to get him out. Oh well, he'll figure it out!

Main Menu

The Post Your Thoughts of the Moment Thread 2

Started by Harvest, February 22, 2008, 12:40:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roz~

It's better to try it out than sitting there doing nothing.
Quote from: MaestroUGC on February 13, 2013, 01:16:55 PM
Thanks. For a moment there I was worried, though. I almost needed to blow you.

Harvest

Terrible first day of school.

Absofuckinglutely terrible.
-

Ruto

Quote from: KefkaticFanatic on September 07, 2010, 06:41:08 PMI don't think you can really call an arrangement of copyrighted material your own intellectual property though.

That's what I was thinking about too...so the reasons he can't do whatever he's doing are:

1) Nintendo owns the music
2) NSM arrangers own the arrangement

The first one is the bigger fish though. If you can compare 2) to an essay then it's definitely plagiarism. See THIS SITE:

"Licensing Sheet Music
1. If a musician wishes to record a songwriter's song, she must buy a license to the work. Similarly, when a publishing company wishes to sell the sheet music of a song, it must pay the composer a licensing fee. It is up to the composer and publishing agency to determine either a flat fee for the right to sell the music or a percentage of sales to be paid to the composer."

And there's also talk of arrangements being illegal without royalties:
http://www.paythepiper.co.uk/copyright.asp
http://mpa.org/copyright_resource_center/copying

As strict as these laws are, they doesn't stop youtube videos, arrangements, fanfiction or fan art from existing. We can't assume Nintendo would look too kindly at this site for giving everyone instructions on how to play their music, but there are just way too many of these sites for Nintendo to shut down  :o

And also, as much as we want to see this guy pay a fine to somebody (Nintendo? His buyers?), the real goal is to stop him from selling these sheets.  I think that can be accomplished with 1) alone?

I seem to be missing a piece of my ear.

Shadoninja

"but they have no claim over Handel's crotchets"
lol [/8 year old immaturity]
"And so my saga of quoting myself in everyone's signature continues" - dudeman

Ruto

Hahaha very funny.

Handel also happens to be my high school physics teacher's last name...awkward much?

KefkaticFanatic

We don't charge for arrangements.  So what we do is perfectly legal.  I think.  Though they can shut down a Chrono Trigger fanmade game after years of production, so eh.

me irl
[close]

Ruto

Yes, and 15% royalties for Nintendo, if the net profit of NSM is 0 === nothing  :-\

And if this is illegal, Nintendo would have killed all the fanarts, music and video sites already...franchises these days are a bit lax (whew...). If Nintendo was Fox, Warner Bros or Anne Rice, then no.

On a lighter note, I clocked 18,293 steps on my Pokewalker today and the soles of my sneakers are slightly melted.

universe-X

Quote from: Ruto on September 07, 2010, 08:58:30 PMAnd if this is illegal, Nintendo would have killed all the fanarts, music and video sites already...franchises these days are a bit lax (whew...). If Nintendo was Fox, Warner Bros or Anne Rice, then no.

Nintendo's copyrights almost mean nothing, you know... I've seen a game that almost replicates SMG, the Wii hacked umpteen times, fucking ROMs flying everywhere. If Nintendo really cared, they would've stopped all of that before it got out of hand. Especially since Mario is their mascot and games are being passed around like frisbees.

Chrono Trigger... I've never heard of that game since last summer and haven't been able to research it since, so completely different story there, I guess.

Roz~

You didn't know about Chrono Trigger? D:
CT's so full of win, it's an amazing RPG! <3
I should play it again.
Quote from: MaestroUGC on February 13, 2013, 01:16:55 PM
Thanks. For a moment there I was worried, though. I almost needed to blow you.

Shadoninja

it is, and the fan made 3d game looked great from videos.
"And so my saga of quoting myself in everyone's signature continues" - dudeman

SlowPokemon

Mediafire's up again, hooray!

Quote from: Ruto on September 07, 2010, 08:58:30 PMYes, and 15% royalties for Nintendo, if the net profit of NSM is 0 === nothing  :-\

And if this is illegal, Nintendo would have killed all the fanarts, music and video sites already...franchises these days are a bit lax (whew...). If Nintendo was Fox, Warner Bros or Anne Rice, then no.

On a lighter note, I clocked 18,293 steps on my Pokewalker today and the soles of my sneakers are slightly melted.

Owch.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

Ruto

eBay forum post BAHLETED >__>

Copy of email they sent:

"In order for the community forums, which are based on the eBay Community Values, to be a place where
all members can feel comfortable interacting with each other, there are certain types of posts we remove
when they are reported to us. The guidelines for posting in the forums are defined in the Board Usage
Policy. Your post was removed for the following reason:

Posting listing reports or member violations. To report suspected violations, please use the online forms
on the Investigations page. For clarification of this policy, please visit this page:
http://forums.ebay.com/db2/thread.jspa?threadID=410492023

We understand that most posts that are removed were not intentional violations. We invite you to take
some time to review the Board Usage Policy and policy explanations via the following URLs for
clarification about the types of posts that we do not allow.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/everyone-boards.html
http://forums.ebay.com/forum.jspa?forumID=2005"

o_O; If I didn't say the seller's name, maybe that would have worked.  Anyway, eBay's moderation team has seen it, at least. Not sure if they'll take it seriously.

Edit: I was talking to a lawyer buddy of mine about this and she's going to send an email to this fellow music-nerd lawyer and copyright expert she knows for more advice. Bottom line is that master-sayien can't legally sell these sheets...XD

SuperRiolu

If we were selling them here, we'd be in violation of those copyrights, too. By selling stuff like that, you are infringing on those copyrights and now Nintendo can send their dirty lawyers after them and sue them.

Since the stuff done here in fan-made, we don't have a problem with it, too (and because it's free)
I'm just going to spend my summer here in California doing so many things. There are a lot of things to do here!

Jub3r7

Quote from: Jub3r7 on August 31, 2010, 03:58:13 PMI found our metal baseball bat. No we just gotta find his house...  ;)
A take-down notice is something a website/company sends a website to give them a 24 hour notice that they have to remove the stolen copyrighted stuff; if they don't, the website/company has legibility to sue. Not only that, but if Ebay receives a take down notice towards someone's account, that account is deleted. Simple. Problem removed.=

Oh yeah, my other current thought: There is Pokemon anime, Pokemon TVG, Pokemon TCG, Pokemon TCVG (Trading card video game), Pokemon TFG (Trading figure game?), and TWG.... which usually has nothing to do with Pokemon. Don't forget to sign up for the next game.... It is unknown when the current one will finish.
It's dangerous to go alone, take me with you! [JUB has joined the party.]

SlowPokemon

Yeah, I'm prepared to vote for you right now because you sort of annoy me in a good way.

You remind me of a freshman in high school.

And Universe-x IS a freshman, but he doesn't give off that vibe as much as you do.

Does that make sense, anyone?
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.