Dahans' compositions: Romance for piano

Started by dahans, August 24, 2009, 03:04:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dahans

Thanks a lot! :D

I will try to improve it! (tomorrow it's 1 a.m. xD)
This was a really constructive feedback!

Quote from: Shadoninja on November 02, 2011, 04:57:12 PMremember, this is dahans you're talking to, impossibility is his specialty.
What do you mean? xD
Check out my arrangements! I mean it! Check them out!

MaestroUGC

Impossibility is the same as ignorance, in this case. If you write music that is far beyond what is technically feasable, no matter how possible it may in fact be, then you'll be hard pressed to find anybody take you seriously. An important aspect of being a good composer is understanding how instruments work, knowing what it takes to play them, and the nuances that go into the finer details of technique. The best way that I know to learn these things, other than finding a teacher, is to find the musicians who play these instruments and have them spot check stuff for you, and have them explain why and how things work.
Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.

Olimar12345

Quote from: MaestroUGC on November 02, 2011, 05:38:02 PMThe best way that I know to learn these things, other than finding a teacher, is to find the musicians who play these instruments and have them spot check stuff for you, and have them explain why and how things work.

This will help you, IMMENSELY.
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

SlowPokemon

Quote from: Shadoninja on November 02, 2011, 04:57:12 PMremember, this is dahans you're talking to, impossibility is his specialty.
Quote from: MaestroUGC on November 02, 2011, 05:38:02 PMImpossibility is the same as ignorance, in this case. If you write music that is far beyond what is technically feasable, no matter how possible it may in fact be, then you'll be hard pressed to find anybody take you seriously. An important aspect of being a good composer is understanding how instruments work, knowing what it takes to play them, and the nuances that go into the finer details of technique. The best way that I know to learn these things, other than finding a teacher, is to find the musicians who play these instruments and have them spot check stuff for you, and have them explain why and how things work.

Yes, I'm afraid both of these comments are true. :/
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

dahans

Hmmm... I'd be very surprised if you don't take me seriously. That would basically mean that everything I do is useless here.

MaestroUGC

This is what we are here for, to tell you what works and what you need to improve on. You gift for melody is extraordinary, but you your execution for the orchestra simply needs practice, practical practice at that. When you write for the piano, it's great because you know what goes into its performance. That's what it all comes down to with your music, technicalities of performance. Musically, your music is fine for the most part.

dahans

Quote from: MaestroUGC on November 03, 2011, 04:20:15 PMThis is what we are here for, to tell you what works and what you need to improve on. You gift for melody is extraordinary, but you your execution for the orchestra simply needs practice, practical practice at that. When you write for the piano, it's great because you know what goes into its performance. That's what it all comes down to with your music, technicalities of performance. Musically, your music is fine for the most part.
Exactly :D. I like to hear that!^^

SlowPokemon

You cannot just look at that and see "your music is fine" because while it's kind of true, you need lots of work in other areas. And yes, playability is important.

dahans

I have never said my music is "perfect" ^^. I definitely need LOTS of work, like all of us. We just can improve when we practice. And of course, playability is important too.

fingerz

Quote from: MaestroUGC on November 02, 2011, 05:38:02 PMImpossibility is the same as ignorance, in this case. If you write music that is far beyond what is technically feasable, no matter how possible it may in fact be, then you'll be hard pressed to find anybody take you seriously. An important aspect of being a good composer is understanding how instruments work, knowing what it takes to play them, and the nuances that go into the finer details of technique. The best way that I know to learn these things, other than finding a teacher, is to find the musicians who play these instruments and have them spot check stuff for you, and have them explain why and how things work.
Unless, of course, you're Debussy. :P
Classical / Jazz / Contemporary
Performer / Arranger / Educator
Bb, A, C & Bass Clarinet / Soprano, Alto, Tenor & Baritone Saxophone / Basset Horn

DrP

Quote from: fingerz on November 04, 2011, 05:57:00 PMUnless, of course, you're Debussy. :P
This.

He is totally ruining my life. Goliwog's Cakewalk looks/sounds easy but it just has awkwardness throughout.

I am also arranging the First out of the Deux Arabesques for Clarinet... FML... it's in effing E Major (which Means F# Major for Clarinets)

MaestroUGC

You do realize you can transpose it to a more amiable key, right?

SlowPokemon

Quote from: fingerz on November 04, 2011, 05:57:00 PMUnless, of course, you're Debussy. :P

Dahans is definitely not Debussy. XD lol

Quote from: MaestroUGC on November 04, 2011, 08:57:45 PMYou do realize you can transpose it to a more amiable key, right?

Is it really worth the effort though? I don't play clarinet, but I would assume the original key is always best... just a personal preference.

MaestroUGC

It would depend on forces your arranging for. It's easier for an exact transcription on the piano than it is to orchestrate another piece, due to transpositions, accidentals, ranges, and other things that go into writing for an orchestra. You could keep it in the original, but you'd make for a miserable arrangement omn behalf of the players.

DrP

Quote from: MaestroUGC on November 04, 2011, 08:57:45 PMYou do realize you can transpose it to a more amiable key, right?
It is for an audition. Every audition time, the music professors choose a criteria for one of the two songs we have to play.
For this upcoming quarter, one of the pieces must be in E Major (Concert)... meaning F# for us. I still need to find a second song. If I keep it the same, it's D Major, so...