News:

Be sure to tell your friends about NinSheetMusic!

Main Menu

who cares

Started by Shadoninja, August 13, 2009, 10:34:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shadoninja

"And so my saga of quoting myself in everyone's signature continues" - dudeman

SlowPokemon

Goddamn it Shado! I was gonna arrange this! D: I'll look at it when I get home.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

SlowPokemon

Bespinben

Now this is what I'm talking about! Great job Shado. So much attention gets put towards arranging the town and route themes on Pokémon games that the battle themes are often neglected, even though those are the songs you probably hear most in the game. Thank you so much!
Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

Shadoninja

SlowPokemon

I would like to make clear that I call Alder's battle theme unless you've already started it xD

Shadoninja

pumpy_heart

Very nice arrangement. Sounds accurate.
However, again the chromatic spellings sometimes can be an issue. The first one isn't so bad, but in measure 4, if you spelled the second E natural Fb, the idea of the chromatic line moving forward would be easily established and the thought of carrying over the natural from the beginning of the measure does not even have to be thought of. In measure 14, I'd respell the grace note as D# and the Gb in the bass as F#. The motion of D# to E is repeated in measure 15 in the lower treble voice. The F# recalls from the F# before in measures 9-12. Check measures 26 and 27 and wherever else these spellings occurs.
This next point has to do with contiguity in parallel voice moving. If two voices start in a 3rd apart, and keep this interval, this should be reflected in the chromatic spellings as well. In measure 16, that D# should be spelled Eb OR the G spelled as Fx. This shows the parallel motion device is still being deployed. The same thing occurs in measure 21 and 24.
In measure 45, you need to show consistency for that line every time it is used, however transposed it may be. Since you've been going up a 2nd, down a 2nd, down a 2nd, and up a 2nd for each line before, do the same here. Therefore, respell the 2nd 16th note as Cb and Eb. Repeat every time this occurs.
In measure 30, spell the Db as C#. Though it is a descending line, it is not a descending chromatic line. Here, we're using the harmonic spelling. The 4 eighth notes in the bass on beats 3 and 4 outline an A major triad, A C# E. Therefore, the C# should be spelled accordingly.
This has to do with the able to read the piece in music theory. To show that measures 9-12 are just a simple transposition, it would be better to spell the key in C minor. The bass line would resemble the previous bass line better than what you have now. This also goes along with the F# coming up in measure 14. In measure 42, it would make more sense to think of the G# as an Ab because the way the Ab occurs in the voice above, and the fact that it does occur in the voice above.
If I'm just rambling on or I'm not clear, feel free to shoot me a message. It's important to understand why these things should be the way they are so that you can correct them yourself in the future.

Shadoninja

Cobraroll

Sorry to be a hassle, but... how's progress on the RCT2 theme? Take your time, I have patience, but just wondering.

By the way, Blue Field is great. Makes me imagine a night out in Cianwood City.
Emergence - a story exclusive to NSM

Yes, I'm still around from time to time. For quicker response, you can reach me by PM, or drop by Smogon to say hi. I go by "Codraroll" there, because of a bet.

pumpy_heart

Pokemon Pinball is awesome. Great tunes.
The grace notes should be treated as neighbors, so going from one note to another. For example, the grace note in measure 4 should be a D#.
The key does seem to briefly modulate to D minor at times, so using C# instead of Db in measure 18 makes sense. In measure 20, spelling all the chromatically altered pitches as sharps really helps to show the flow of the music, as well as the harmony.

Shadoninja

pumpy_heart

You hide the motif inserted by the composer if you spell them as flats going to naturals as well. For example, if you look at measure 3 and 5, you very clearly see an idea of how the grace note is being treated there. This is not matched by measure 4, which uses a grace note in a similar way, resolving up to the pitch the composer desired.
It's awkward to read and makes very little musical sense to spell it that way. The grace note always resolves up throughout the piece so your arrangement should make that idea clear in every possible way.

Shadoninja