News:

Download Finale Notepad 2012 free here!

Main Menu

"Fulfilling the Requests" Project (Out of Service)

Started by WiiMan96, July 31, 2009, 07:37:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WiiMan's pretty cool.

He found every request
1 (3.7%)
Then he organized them all
1 (3.7%)
Made a thread that had progress
0 (0%)
Then made a site to organize them
1 (3.7%)
Yeah he's pretty cool.
7 (25.9%)
*claps*
11 (40.7%)
I agree  -Shadoninja
6 (22.2%)

Total Members Voted: 27

WiiMan96

Here comes the topic train, getting this topic back on track. *choo choooo*

...I think I stole this off Nintendude or someone.

spitllama

Quote from: WiiMan96 on August 21, 2011, 03:52:11 AMDrP has listed King Dodongo & Volvagia Battle as being on the site, but I can't find it on there.

Hmm... aren't contradictions so much fun? Anyhow, here's some clarification:

Quote from: Winter on August 10, 2011, 11:11:05 PM[N64] The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time "King Dodongo & Volvagia Battle"

It's been fulfilled, but is not on the site. Also it is not completely accurate.
Submissions Page
Currently using Finale 2012

pumpy_heart

I'll do the Final Fantasy IV Epilogue. Can probably do it all tonight. I'll also take Highwind takes to the Skies from Final Fantasy VII.
Will try to knock some of these out of here to clean up and make room.

Edit: Correction, Final Fantasy IV Epilogue is in my thread. And Highwind Takes to the Skies as well.
I'll try to find some more to do now.

Edit3: I'll start with the Title Screen from Animal Crossing: Wild World. I'll also do both BK songs. Just trying to make a lot of room in the thread and finally fulfill these requests. Might do Christmas Eve from Animal Crossing if I finish all these. Really want to tackle the smaller sections to clear the most room.

Shadoninja

"[NDS] Kingdom Hearts: 358/2 Days "Waltz of the Diamond / Damned""

I'm not working on this one.

I finished the frontier brain battle from pokemon emerald.

edit: the following sheets are on the site
[GCN] Animal Crossing "K.K. Bossa" - Thomas Wilson

[GB] Donkey Kong Land "File Select" - Thomas Wilson

[GB] Donkey Kong Land "Title" - Thomas Wilson

[SNES] Final Fantasy VI "Another World of Beasts" - Shadoninja

[PS3] Final Fantasy XIII "Vanille's Theme" - The Deku Trombonist

[NDS] Hotel Dusk: Room 215 "Bright Crystal" - olimar12345

[N64] Jet Force Gemini "Title" - olimar12345

[GCN] Kirby Air Ride "Opening" - The Deku Trombonist

[N64] The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask "Calling the Four Giants" - Shadoninja

[NDS] Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story "Final Bowser" - dahans

[GCN] Mario Kart: Double Dash!! "Sherbet Land" - The Deku Trombonist

[NES] Mega Man 3 "Stage Select" - Shadoninja

[NES] Mega Man Battle Network 2 "Opening Theme" - Shadoninja

[Wii] New Super Mario Bros. Wii "Underwater" - dahans

[Wii] New Super Mario Bros. Wii "World 6 Map" - Bloop

[GCN] Pac-Man World 2 "Menu" - WiiMan96

[NDS] Pokémon Diamond / Pearl / Platinum "Champion Theme" - Composer #40

[GBA] Pokémon Diamond / Pearl / Platinum "Global Trading Station" - Shadoninja

[NDS] Pokémon HeartGold / SoulSilver "Game Corner" - The Deku Trombonist

[NDS] Pokémon HeartGold / SoulSilver "PokéWalker" - drpamplemousse

[Wii] Super Mario Galaxy 2  "Bowser's Galaxy Generator" - Purple1222119

[Wii] Super Mario Galaxy 2  "Bowser Jr.'s  Fiery Flotilla" - Purple1222119 / ALPRAS
"And so my saga of quoting myself in everyone's signature continues" - dudeman

WiiMan96

So in regards to the problems with the limitations of forum posts (static information, character limits etc.), I've been thinking about a permanent solution. While the Reviving the Requests thread is a good idea in sorting things in priority order and freeing up space here, a strong line of communication needs to be kept between the threads; and with all the redundant, repeated information and the extra time and effort that will follow from maintaining this communication, it's likely that things will become disorganised (or, at least, a little more than usual :P ) and this will be abandoned for lost hope before long.

I was thinking of moving the list itself completely out of the forums. That is, either putting it in a client database (like Access for exportation into Excel, PDF etc.) or into a web database (with automation of applying for requests, reporting them as completed etc.) I have some experience in working with both so that's not a problem, but I'm wondering what you guys would most like to work with. As far as I see it:

• Keeping it in the forums is the easy way out, but it limits its capabilities and will get abandoned fast.
  • Putting it into a database will take more work to start with, but with some more automated processes will allow it to become more relevant and updated in the future.

And as for which type of database if we're to go that way:

• The web database creates the opportunity to allow arrangers to update things by themselves; instead of posting here a thousand times poking and prodding me to do stuff, one would (hypothetically) simply be able to fill out a form and do things related to them. I can get some dodgy free web hosting and set up a system where you can go to a website, view the requests, apply to take one (or remove one) and do several actions with an automated backend.
  • The client database won't have user interaction and will need to be updated solely by me - but still eliminates the problem of the word limit and the resulting clutter and can be downloaded in multiple formats.

I've put up a poll to collect your opinions.

And Mr. Llama, I appreciate all of your hard work and would like it if you could help me sort all the arrangements into some priority categories if we go the database way.

...and yes, once we decide I'll update. xD

Shadoninja

the web database sounds like the best option. i'm wondering if it'd also be possible for it to check what sheets are on the site and automatically clear them or at least put some kind of note to say that it's on the site.
"And so my saga of quoting myself in everyone's signature continues" - dudeman

spitllama

The web database would by far be the best to have user interaction, I definitely like it. And ok I could do that. You the boss.
Submissions Page

DrP

Web based Database. Access is nice, but this is better for all of us so we dont have to send files all over (and access doesnt work on those running a certain OS named after a Cat)

WiiMan96

Quote from: Shadoninja on September 02, 2011, 06:09:44 AMthe web database sounds like the best option. i'm wondering if it'd also be possible for it to check what sheets are on the site and automatically clear them or at least put some kind of note to say that it's on the site.

I wouldn't be able to connect to NSM's database (that would be hacking, and asking permission to access it would give me access to ALL data = not good for security :P ), but I'll see if I can create a system that reads the front page for the sheets in updates. No guarantees, though. :)

Quote from: spitllama on September 02, 2011, 06:29:34 AMThe web database would by far be the best to have user interaction, I definitely like it. And ok I could do that. You the boss.

I only said so because you've done all that work on the Reviving the Requests. I honestly don't mind if you don't, I just thought you'd like some input into the work you've done previously. AND DON'T 'YOU THE BOSS' ME THAT'S FEEDING MY EGO AND THAT'S NOT GOOD

Quote from: DrP on September 02, 2011, 08:42:03 AMWeb based Database. Access is nice, but this is better for all of us so we dont have to send files all over (and access doesnt work on those running a certain OS named after a Cat)

Lol, I also happen to be using a certain OS named after a (significantly colder) cat, but I have access to a Windows computer. (Pun may or may not be intended.) I'd be able to convert it to Excel, .pdf, and .txt, but as you say, the file sharing will get unwieldy quickly.

Now that the majority's voted for the web database, I'm wondering why the person who voted for the thread voted so. I mean that sincerely - it would be nice to get a different perspective. I'll leave this poll up for another 12 hours or so anyway.

Brassman388

spitllama

Can you post a link to your arrangement page Brassman? I can never seem to find it.
Submissions Page

Brassman388

It should be the first thread in the Submission Topic, now.

I just updated it.

Brassman388

Also, what's the difference between a web database and a client data base? What would be the pros and cons?

spitllama

Quote from: WiiMan96 on September 02, 2011, 12:57:27 AMSo in regards to the problems with the limitations of forum posts (static information, character limits etc.), I've been thinking about a permanent solution. While the Reviving the Requests thread is a good idea in sorting things in priority order and freeing up space here, a strong line of communication needs to be kept between the threads; and with all the redundant, repeated information and the extra time and effort that will follow from maintaining this communication, it's likely that things will become disorganised (or, at least, a little more than usual :P ) and this will be abandoned for lost hope before long.

I was thinking of moving the list itself completely out of the forums. That is, either putting it in a client database (like Access for exportation into Excel, PDF etc.) or into a web database (with automation of applying for requests, reporting them as completed etc.) I have some experience in working with both so that's not a problem, but I'm wondering what you guys would most like to work with. As far as I see it:

• Keeping it in the forums is the easy way out, but it limits its capabilities and will get abandoned fast.
  • Putting it into a database will take more work to start with, but with some more automated processes will allow it to become more relevant and updated in the future.

And as for which type of database if we're to go that way:

• The web database creates the opportunity to allow arrangers to update things by themselves; instead of posting here a thousand times poking and prodding me to do stuff, one would (hypothetically) simply be able to fill out a form and do things related to them. I can get some dodgy free web hosting and set up a system where you can go to a website, view the requests, apply to take one (or remove one) and do several actions with an automated backend.
  • The client database won't have user interaction and will need to be updated solely by me - but still eliminates the problem of the word limit and the resulting clutter and can be downloaded in multiple formats.

I've put up a poll to collect your opinions.

And Mr. Llama, I appreciate all of your hard work and would like it if you could help me sort all the arrangements into some priority categories if we go the database way.

...and yes, once we decide I'll update. xD
Submissions Page

Brassman388