News:

Congratulations!! You, yes, YOU, dear user, have been selected for the "You Read This News Item" award! Click here for your prize!!

Main Menu

Pictures/Videos Topic

Started by KefkaticFanatic, July 20, 2009, 06:58:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

braix

Quote from: MaestroUGC on August 19, 2015, 12:22:27 PMBraixen is a wonderful [insert gender] with beautiful [corresponding gender trait] and is just the darlingest at [stereotypical activity typically associated with said gender] you ever saw.

mikey

It's FILIPINO
Not sure why it bothers me so much
unmotivated

Yugi

Quote from: maelstrom. on December 11, 2014, 08:15:10 PMThis is literally the worst trailer I have seen in my entire life.
what was it

FireArrow

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on December 19, 2014, 09:49:27 PMNot sure why it bothers me so much

Number one way to annoy Filipinos. It should be noted that the spelling change is the dumbest thing ever though.

You're from america? Let's spell it Uhmerican!
Quote from: Dudeman on January 23, 2017, 05:35:59 PM
straight from the department of redundancy department

braix

Quote from: MaestroUGC on August 19, 2015, 12:22:27 PMBraixen is a wonderful [insert gender] with beautiful [corresponding gender trait] and is just the darlingest at [stereotypical activity typically associated with said gender] you ever saw.

mikey

Quote from: FireArrow on December 19, 2014, 09:58:26 PMNumber one way to annoy Filipinos. It should be noted that the spelling change is the dumbest thing ever though.

You're from america? Let's spell it Uhmerican!
Isn't "Philippines" just the american word for it?  It'd probably be Filipino in Filipino
Just looked it up it's Pilipinas which makes more sense than Philippines
unmotivated

FireArrow

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on December 19, 2014, 10:03:09 PMIsn't "Philippines" just the american word for it?  It'd probably be Filipino in Filipino
Just looked it up it's Pilipinas which makes more sense than Philippines

I don't care who came up with it, I just think it's stupid. Probably has some really interesting history though xD
Quote from: Dudeman on January 23, 2017, 05:35:59 PM
straight from the department of redundancy department

Bloop

you think english is stupid
Welcome to Dutch! Where the words are made up and the rules fon't matter!

Winter

DrP

Technically, the native language of the Philippines is Tagalog.

A person that is native to the Philippines is Filipino.

Many Filipinos speak Spanish and English due to past colonization.

#solved

mikey

How is any of this solved

It won't be until we march upon that lady and demand that she be folitically correct
unmotivated

FierceDeity

I mean, it was named after King Philip II of Spain, which, in English convention, really should be spelled with a Ph. But obviously his name in Spanish is Felipe, which is why the Spanish name was "las islas filipinas" with an F. The funny thing is, people generally don't complain about the translation of the name Felipe to Philip, but they do about a translation of "Filipino" to incorporate the Ph, and the naming convention of the Philippines themselves is caught in a gray area between acceptance and lack thereof. Yet all three operate on the same principle! It's just the arbitrary, often unclear distinction between how we should treat names of people, names of countries, and names of peoples that is the cause for confusion. Etymology is so much more complex than just "stupid Americans think they can change every word". It's actually pretty deep and fascinating. Take the distinction between Prague (the typical non-Czech pronunciation/spelling) and Praha (the Czech pronunciation/spelling). It's not just a bastardization made by the English language; it's actually borrowed from French, which itself originated from a separate (yet phonetically similar to the extent that the two names currently are) root word from that of "Praha".

Tl;dr don't get mad at people for a misunderstanding with its roots in hundreds of years of etymological ambiguities. Inform them of the proper convention if you must, then move on with your day.

FierceDeity

Also, here's a good source for the whole Philippines/Filipino thing. (My phone wouldn't let me paste it anywhere but in random spots on my last post for some reason)

mikey

fierce comes in for everybody's edification
unmotivated

MaestroUGC

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on December 20, 2014, 10:54:50 AMfierce comes in for everybody's edification
Yes. Edify my unedificated butt!
Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.