News:

oh god how did this get here I am not good with computer

Main Menu

What are you playing right now?

Started by ALPRAS, July 14, 2009, 02:30:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SlowPokemon

Did you just not keep up on grinding??? Okay I'll admit even at Lv45 the fight was fairly tough. But Dream Team itself can be a pretty difficult game. Probably why it's my favorite of the series.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

Maelstrom

It's my least favorite of the series. It just seems to be drawn out way too much, and the giant battle feel way to scripted. And the story feels bland and simple when compared to superstar saga.

SlowPokemon

I thought the writing was hilarious, the graphics amazing, the soundtrack the best on the 3DS, and the battle system infinitely better than the other games. Good enough for me.

Maelstrom

Forgot about the hand-holding. That was the worst part. I've heard a lot of people say it's the worst and other people say it's the best.

SlowPokemon

True I can see how the handholding and tutorials might get tiresome. For some reason though they  didn't really bother me? I enjoyed Dreambert's dialogue style enough to excuse the content, maybe. Maybe I'm getting too caught up in the presentation to really talk about the pacing and whatnot, and I do admit that it felt like the majority of the game was spent completing menial tasks, but I just enjoyed that the game was longer. Those giant boss battles were all pretty annoying though, besides the last one vs.
Spoiler
Bowser
[close]
which I thought was pretty cool.

Maelstrom

It seemed really bad after superstar saga which has minimal tutorials and no companion to explain every new thing you come across. And the enemy designs were better in previous games. The worst part of Dream Team was climbing up Mt. Whatchyamacallit the second time in the dream world. That entire part could have been cut in half with no negative effect on the game.

SlowPokemon

Okay dude have you played the others? The reason Dream Team is so long, as confirmed by Alpha-Dream, is because one of the most common comments about Bowser's Inside Story is "I wish it was longer." I loved every second of Dream Team and loved the fact that it was crazy long; I never quite got why people complained about the length. And even though there was just level after level, each one was designed so cleverly and perfectly.

Dream Team is the only game ever to make me want to play it three times in five months, and that's at about 45 hours per playthrough. I didn't appreciate it at first but it is undoubtedly the best of the series... I don't quite see an argument for Superstar Saga over this one, especially after my recent replay of the former on Wii U.

Maelstrom

I've played the entire series. Personally, I thought Inside Story was the perfect length. I think I would be less bothered by the length of Dream Team if there were more enemy designs that required differing styles of battle. And, as for the difficulty, I got very few game overs, with the exception of the final battle. Superstar Saga has the advantage of originality and story, but the combat is just not as complex as later titles. I'll have to say Inside Story was the best. And I like the 2d art style better. And as for replaying games, I just don't do it that often. Although I could play metroid fusion 100s of times. I just like playing new games.

SlowPokemon

fingerz

To me, I love all of the Mario & Luigi games equally. They've each got their highlights and flaws, and that's why I love them all!

@Slow: I agree completely. Sure, the storyline did seem a bit dragged-out by the time Somnom Woods came about and especially in Neo Bowser's Castle (Kamek, here we go for the THIRD bloody time), but overall it needed a longer storyline. Bowser's Inside Story was great, but far too short and way too easy. The way they set the game up, Mario and Luigi could leave Bowser's body and train the shit up 'til they were super-high levels. I did that 'cause I wanted to get everything the instant I left. Besides, what final boss has 1460 health? I was disgraced! :P It was a HUGE let-down after the epic finale of Partners in Time. To sum it up, Dream Team Bros. was extremely well-crafted! The transition from 2D to 3D was amazing! I thought they'd never make another one 'cause it wouldn't work, so I'm happy! ;)

@maelstrom: Yeah, I thought for a while that Bowser's Inside Story was my favourite one, too. It was only one out of the whole series that I shed a tear for, especially in those heart-felt moments. That's what I missed in Dream Team Bros. - those moments. There were heaps of hilarious moments that had me in stitches, but I think they need to incorporate more sentimental moments again, and kinda make the bad guys do bad things like in the previous games. They failed with Antasma and Bowser miserably in this one, I tell you. WHOA LOOK WHO JUST BLEW UP A COUPLE OF REMOTE ISLANDS! I actually said to myself when I was in Somnom Woods, "Ah, why am I chasing these guys down again? What have they done besides kidnap Peach?" :P

Anyways, I personally think the hand-holding is needed with this generation of gamers People just don't learn and explore like we used to. Classic example: I didn't know you could attack Queen Bean's hands in Superstar Saga, so I just kept hitting her chest with a hammer, doing 1 damage until she was K.O.'d... Good thing they helped us out now. Also, if they wanted to make it the most user-friendly game ever, they wouldn't have gotten you to grind to beat the final boss. Besides, Dreamy Bowser wasn't THAT bad. Seriously. Sure, I raised by eyebrows when I got hit the first time and said to myself, "Now this is a boss!" but I didn't even need to grind a single bit to defeat that guy. ;)

My conclusion to people who be dissin' Dream Team Bros.: don't. It's a fabulous game in its own way and it a wonderful addition to the Mario & Luigi series. Anyone who didn't finish it 'cause they got bored or something, just remember you're the casual audience. People like Slow and I will always finish those games. Sure, we're biased, but not to the point of not saying something wasn't bad when it was. So, if you didn't like it, too bad for you. :P
Classical / Jazz / Contemporary
Performer / Arranger / Educator
Bb, A, C & Bass Clarinet / Soprano, Alto, Tenor & Baritone Saxophone / Basset Horn

Maelstrom

Me, a casual gamer?  :o I spent 92+ hours playing Bravely Default and probably 60+ hours in FE: Sacred Stones, which I just beat for the first time (but second playthrough). And I'm loving Chrono Trigger. Not to criticize more of your favorite games, but would I like Paper Mario 1000 year door if I didn't enjoy the original? I just didn't like the story, characters, or enemies in the N64 one. But I love the art style.

fingerz

Oh no! I didn't mean you weren't a harcore gamer! I just meant you're probably not as dedicated as Slow and I are to the series. XD

Hahaha! I've only ever played Paper Mario Sticker Star. I'm not a Paper Mario fan at all, actually. I've played the N64 version and gave it up after getting to the desert. It was really awful, in my opinion... Loved the graphics, though! Never played Thousand-Year Door or Super Paper Mario, even though I own the latter. The Wii one looks like a heap of fun, though, so I might try it out soon.

Yah, I'm not one for RPG's. My love is as strong as my hate. Sure, I love Pokemon and the Mario & Luigi series, but that's about it. Don't even get me started on Square Enix. :P
Classical / Jazz / Contemporary
Performer / Arranger / Educator
Bb, A, C & Bass Clarinet / Soprano, Alto, Tenor & Baritone Saxophone / Basset Horn

Maelstrom

Nope, mixed you and mariolegofan up. Well, you both have mario as your avatar! Oops.. :-[

And, while super paper mario has lacking combat, the story is better than the entire mario & luigi series.

SlowPokemon

It's weird I'm great at Pokémon and Mario & Luigi but I am absolutely terrible at most JRPGs like I did play Persona 4 Golden recently but that was on easy mode