MaestroUGC's Virtuoso Submissions *Nihil*

Started by MaestroUGC, June 18, 2009, 10:58:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MaestroUGC

Well, after doing some thinking it may not go to the way side...you'll see later.
Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.

MasterPenguin

Several things (besides you being an arrogant prick, as I'm pretty sure we're all in agreement there.)

What's up with the random remixes during your songs? We're supposed to be offering arrangements here, not remixes. I can see it being fine throwing in a few extra notes (hey, sometimes it works really nicely.) But you, I can't count how many bars of random notes you have (and I only know a quarter of the songs you offer.) In one song, you have pages of extra notes, which while they match the melody, are not apart of the original songs.

What's with you and harmonies? Parts of songs don't even sound like the originals you've harmonized them so much. It makes me wonder how legit your arrangements are, are you using midis. Have you even heard the original songs? If you want to show off your remixing skill, post them in the correct section. Lets take this a bit further. Not only do some of your songs not sound like the original, they're full of wrong notes, because of these harmonies. Stop trying to make them sound better, you're making them sound way worse.

If you want examples, I'll start throwing them out. I can only judge several songs of your selections, and there's way too much for me to frown upon. The songs are impossible, to, well, nearly every single person that comes here. You said you'd tone them down.. I've seen nothing to suggest that. You've arranged 2 songs since you've said this - I've seen no indication of change. This site is one for amateurs - not professionals. You're not arranging for the greatest person in the world - he doesn't give a flying fuck about your arrangements. It's like giving a vibrator to a person with Parkinson's disease. Or giving a laptop to a cat. How about giving dirt to someone in Africa. If you didn't get the hint, nobody in these examples want or need what you have to offer. So why are you doing it?

So, all in all, your arrangements are shit, clean and simple (hah, catch the pun?) Do you know why I say this? Let's take an example. You're at a musical exam. You mess up several bars of your song, and because of this, you get a low mark. Even though the rest of the song was perfect, you're graded by "the weakest link." Much similar, I just keep hearing wrong notes in nearly all the songs that I've listened too, and it just makes them sound absolute shit to me. I enjoy listening to peoples arrangements often because they..Oh no...Sound like what I'm supposed to be listening to. Yours don't. Fix them.

I await the reply saying how I suck at arranging/playing, to justify your actions, as that was your reply earlier in this thread. But whatever. All I want is your songs to sound as they're supposed to, and for people to be able to play them. There's a difference between difficult and impossible for the people at this website, and you've clearly crossed that line. So fix your songs...And your pride, while you're at it.

MaestroUGC

My pride isn't hurt, let me assure you. All I can say is if you don't like my music, don't listen to it.

I arrange these songs in a way I want. Whether they are accepted to this site or not is irrelevent. I appreciate the fact that you took the time to scrutinize my work, most people won't study what they don't like.

If you are looking for true arrangements, simply skip over my thread, nobody's forcing you to listen to my arrangements. I'm going to keep arranging these songs in my style, so I suggest you look the other way.
Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.

MasterPenguin

Quote from: MaestroUGC on July 03, 2010, 03:12:57 PMI'm going to keep arranging these songs in my style, so I suggest you look the other way.

*Remixing.

MasterPenguin

Sorry for the double post, it's just to grab your attention.

Since you seem to know about the errors in your other songs (but refuse to fix? Cry.) I decided to check out the ones you're submitting. I suggest you come back to the chat and we can talk about it. I lose count of the errors on the second bar, sorry.

Tangy

"The American Federation of Musicians defines arranging as "the art of preparing and adapting an already written composition for presentation in other than its original form. An arrangement may include reharmonization, paraphrasing, and/or development of a composition, so that it fully represents the melodic, harmonic, and rhythmic structure" (Corozine 2002, p. 3). Orchestration differs in that it is only adapting music for an orchestra or musical ensemble while arranging "involves adding compositional techniques, such as new thematic material for introductions, transitions, or modulations, and endings...Arranging is the art of giving an existing melody musical variety" (ibid)." - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arrangement

You're SUPPOST to change up the song when you do an arrangement. That's the ENTIRE POINT.

Sorry for just jumping in, but that just really bugged me. -_-

MasterPenguin

QuoteThe American Federation of Musicians defines arranging as "the art of preparing and adapting an already written composition for presentation in other than its original form."

Meaning instead of having electronic/orchestrated version, we have piano.

Olimar12345

im gonna haffta agree with masterpenguin, we are writing songs out for people to play on the piano, we arent really i site for remixes...
(i do like your work tho!  ;))
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

Tangy

QuoteAn arrangement may include reharmonization, paraphrasing, and/or development of a composition, so that it fully represents the melodic, harmonic, and rhythmic structure.
QuoteArranging "involves adding compositional techniques, such as new thematic material for introductions, transitions, or modulations, and endings.

Also from wiki:
QuoteA remix is an alternative version of a song, made from an original version. This term is also used for any alterations of media other than song (film, literature etc.).

Meaning a remix is something made literally with the original song. I don't think it's even possible to do a remix using Finale products.

I hope I'm not going to start an argument. These are definitions. o_o Your remarks were just so... uninformed. It bothered me.

And if the song is already on the site, what's wrong with creating a different, more elaborate version? Sure, most people can't play them, but people can look at these arrangements and say "oh, that's cool, I should add that in to the version of the piece I can currently play" or for less practical things like just enjoying listening to them.

Dude

Tangy

Quote from: Dude on July 03, 2010, 07:20:19 PMThis is why teachers don't let students use wikipedia.

Why? Everything I just posted is 100% true. Like I said, they're just basic definitions. I only had to type it into wikipedia and BAM, there it was. It was that easy. I have no idea why you posted that. >_>

Dude

Where is a goddamn facepalm picture when I need one? :(

EDIT: Here we go:

Tangy

I really don't have much better to do, so here's some non-wiki definitions. xD

QuoteArrangement - An adaptation of a composition for other instruments or voices or for another style of performance.
-http://www.thefreedictionary.com/arrangement

QuoteIn popular music an arrangement is a setting of a piece of music, which may have been composed by the arranger or by someone else. It may add details omitted by the composer, or it may replace those originally given and be merely based on the original work.
-http://www.wordiq.com/definition/Arrangement

QuoteRemix - To recombine (audio tracks or channels from a recording) to produce a new or modified audio recording: remixed a popular ballad and turned it into a dance hit.
-http://www.answers.com/topic/remix

And here you go.

MasterPenguin

I guess this is going to take awhile to reply.

Quote from: Tangy on July 03, 2010, 07:15:56 PM
QuoteA remix is an alternative version of a song, made from an original version. This term is also used for any alterations of media other than song (film, literature etc.).
Meaning a remix is something made literally with the original song. I don't think it's even possible to do a remix using Finale products.

First off, bad definition leads to bad understanding. When you think of a remix, it does not require the original song to be present, it can simply contain a similar melody, beats, etc. Much like the definition says, however, a remix is when the original song is used. A quick example of this is a sped up song, one such as a chipmunk song. (Check out your favorite artist, and put chipmunk beside their name, if you want an example.) So when I'm referring to remix, it's more of "not original", meaning it's not trying to reproduce the original song as closely as possible.

So, now, back to arrangement. Let's define this better. For the context used on this site, it's going to be "to recreate the song on another instrument (piano), as close to the original as possible." Now obviously this isn't possible for most songs, as songs usually have more then 2 instruments, that our hands can recreate! (What if it has drums? Oh noes!) That's why I say "as close to the original", because we can't make it identical, but it's good enough to recognize the song for exactly what it is.

Now that that's out of the way, let's hit back at your remix comment.

Quote from: Tangy on July 03, 2010, 07:15:56 PMMeaning a remix is something made literally with the original song. I don't think it's even possible to do a remix using Finale products.

As I said above, a remix doesn't have to contain the original song. So it IS possible to remix a song using finale - much like it's possible to remix a song using any standard midi program. You're recreating the melody, in whatever style you want, making it sound different. Here's plenty of examples. Only a few of them contain actual samples from the original song, the rest are recreated through whatever synthesizer they used.

Quote from: Tangy on July 03, 2010, 07:15:56 PMI hope I'm not going to start an argument. These are definitions. o_o Your remarks were just so... uninformed. It bothered me.

We were working on different definitions, which I've shown you how I was always told it, and never referred to wikipedia to "confirm" it.

Quick edit: You defined it as I explained it.

QuoteArrangement - An adaptation of a composition for other instruments or voices or for another style of performance.

Anywho, moving on.

Quote from: Tangy on July 03, 2010, 07:15:56 PMAnd if the song is already on the site, what's wrong with creating a different, more elaborate version? Sure, most people can't play them, but people can look at these arrangements and say "oh, that's cool, I should add that in to the version of the piece I can currently play" or for less practical things like just enjoying listening to them.

As I said in my post, this section is for submitting your arrangements. We've defined this nicely above. Arrangements. Not remixes. Arrangements. One more time. Not remixes. If he wants to submit remixes, he can feel free all he wants in the correct section. I don't mind this at all - you can do as you please there. Hell, you can make a song out of one note and call it a remix, and I cba. But here, this section, while we're at it, the main part of this site is dedicated to arrangements. Not remixes.

We really shouldn't go offtopic in this guys thread though, stop hijacking it! Should chat about this either on the chat, or another topic. Either ways fine.