News:

Need help with Finale? Have a question about arranging? NSM Resources is the place to go!

Main Menu

MaestroUGC's Virtuoso Submissions *Nihil*

Started by MaestroUGC, June 18, 2009, 10:58:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MaestroUGC

Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.

KefkaticFanatic

You can't have an etude for something that's automatic.  Etudes are meant to be exercises.

me irl
[close]

MaestroUGC

I know, but when I wrote them I challeged people to attempt to play them for money...I needed to call them something that was naturally difficult.

KefkaticFanatic

me irl
[close]

Taser9090

I should read your post more thoroughly. I can't wait for Hop Hop Donut lifts! It's one of my favorite pieces to play on piano :D

Edit: Congratulations on the special note in the front page! :D

"They say money makes the world go 'round. And what goes around, comes around" ~Rover

MaestroUGC

NOTICE: Due to some events I forgot were happening, my summer ended on monday. This means I will have significantly less time to work on my arrangements. This will only be temporary as I will sson adjust to my new schedule and will begin to update somewhat regularly. I will, however, make one final update with the Yoshi's Island theme before going on a short hiatus. I thank you for your patronage and ask that you wait.

In fact, I ask that you make suggestions of theme you want me to arrange. I'm looking for 20 themes to close out my carrer as the "Virtuoso Arranger." I will let you know if I will arrange it or it is planned to be in the next set of ten.

KHRZ

WOW... that SMB theme is a killer, I have difficulties even playing the standard one (where there are never more than 3 notes at once, like on NES), though I can play some really hard songs like the ZTP trailer theme. It would take me months to learn... so I am sticking to your Zelda overworld arrangment for now, seems like something I could master in reasonable time. As for requests I've been wanting to play some songs from brawl for a while... if you could make one of them i would be very happy. It's the battlefield II theme (menu 1 from melee played with full orchestra on the battlefield stage) and menu 1 from brawl (Or the Final Destination 2 theme, though not sure how well that really fits for piano. But would be cool anyway, since I play with the original from speakers at the same time)
Here's youtube links
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QObRx4aBmjU&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wD_We1XJcOQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyoR-Pg6o0c&feature=related

Gooch

First of all, let me state that i have all of your arrangements saved to my music files, just so that i can watch the intensity of the notes and chords and get goosebumps :) Second of all, i only have a few requests. The first is Dire, Dire Docks. Personally, i dont know what you can do to make it Virtuoso, but i think you might be able to do something intense with it (i've heard some pretty intense improv with that song, actually) :) The second is my most played song i do when im bored in band. If you could do something amazing with the Song of Storms (Windmill Song, Guru Guru, etc) it would be MOST appreciative :) Thank you, sir!

Brassman388

Quote from: Gooch on August 07, 2009, 09:40:11 PMSong of Storms

I'm acually quite curious to see how that one might come out. I have no worries though, Maestro never dissapoints. ;D

Empathica1928

Throw me in the category of people who don't like these.

They're impressive, yea.  And if you can play some of those (like that Virtuoso Athletic theme), more power to you.  But to me it's making a piece far more complicated than it needs to be, even as a virtuoso piece.  A piece of music shouldn't be made hard just for the sake of being hard.  It should add something more to the music than just insane chord runs and octave jumping everywhere.

They're fun to listen to.  But I checked out those etudes too, and not only are those impossible by any means, it doesn't even sound good.

Just my two cents.

Gooch

Since everyone else is throwing in their 2 cents into the fountain, i think i'll contribute. Personally, i have not idea what everyone's problem with these arrangements are. IT'S MUSIC!! And is not music basically the gateway to the soul, just like your eyes? Nowadays, the people are getting more interested in music and the arts, some even going to lengths as to compose or arrange music. Music is what a person feels, and typically, a bunch of other people will feel the same way! MaestroUGC is doing just that! He finds that typical music that you find around the house or internet is a little too bare, so he brings out the desire to hear and feel the "intensity" and "fullness" of songs through his Virtuoso arrangements. There are simply some ungodly, jaw-dropping pianists out there (i am NOT one of them) who do find your run of the mill sheets a tad...easy. So, not only is Maestro expressing himself through his Virtuoso arrangements, he's also giving people that want a little more challenge that challenge! It was plainly stated on the front page that they were for Advanced Pianists! If you can't play the songs, then you can't play them! I can't play them, but does that mean I'm going to try and bring him down for going over the top? Music is music, and Maestro is just making epic and intense music. Now, it would be completely different if the current arrangements on the site were being replaced with these, but they AREN'T! Why should people be so against a hard piece of music! They are added to the site because they add more colour to our library and they ARE playable! To me, VG music IS an art. But, it has two goals. One, to bring out that nostalgia in people when you play it. Personally, its so cool to sit down, beat out a Legend of Zelda piece or two, and just watch as people gather around you to see and hear you do it. Second, to make people want to learn how to play it. The one song that Maestro made that i want more than anything to play is his Underwater arrangement. I want to play it because its such a twist on the original and because people wont be able to resist watching and wanting to learn to play it just because its so INTENSE!
      So, please, leave MaestroUGC alone! There is no reason to state that you are for or against his compositions because he is doing exactly what just about everyone on this site is doing: making music. He just adds colour to it, and it is his signature, so to speak. Just accept that he sits around and produces arrangements that are simply a joy to listen to and not try and bring down his art form! Sorry, i rambled a lot, and probably deviated from my subject, but, i think we should just let him do what he is doing, because they are being added to the site, which means they amount to SOMETHING. :) Thank you :)

Cobraroll

Applause.

I like these arrangements as well. Gives me goals, so to say. I estimate that it will take three or so years before I'm even able to try one of these songs, given that I continue to play as much as I do now and factoring in military service, but it's definately a goal to reach. And in the meantime, it's awesome to listen to.
I admit I'm a little weird in that I only play video game songs. I feared once that after I had learned Break The Targets (two more years? Three?), the video game music world would have nothing harder to offer, except for some random songs from little known games, and I would have to move to other stuff from way back when, pieces I have never heard of before and have no interest in.
But now, I think that as long as I play piano, there will always be one step up, another challenge, even when remaining in the realm of video games I know and love. Classics songs will have to be remastered when I reach a certain level. I can play the SMB Overworld theme now, if I try hard enough, but that's not to say I will be done with it once I want to move on to bigger challenges.

The SMB Underwater theme, for example, is lovely, but the bog-standard version will fall into the "too simple"-category after a while. Even if I like the song, and want to play it at a concert, most people will eventually expect more from me than that, and it will be another song I like, but can't bring out to the world (or at least the parents to the people at the piano school...). With this kind of arrangements around, I can once again broadcast the (originally relatively simple) piece once again, without disappointing anyone (primarily my parents and teacher).

Or, say I master the Dr. Mario theme (never gong to happen), but want a bigger challenge. Go to UGC, print and struggle all night to get the first few measures right. Wonderful!

Thanks a lot for arranging, take your time and stay around! Songs like these are worth waiting for, a break is not lowering our feelings for your work!
Emergence - a story exclusive to NSM

Yes, I'm still around from time to time. For quicker response, you can reach me by PM, or drop by Smogon to say hi. I go by "Codraroll" there, because of a bet.

GreekGeek

My two cents:

I agree with Empathica for a bit. Music doesn't have to be complicated to be good but let's be honest, Maestro's arrangements are good. I do have a little problem with Maestro's attitude, in the way that he sometimes strikes me a little bit arrogant... Sorry to say so, but the title "Virtuoso Submissions" by "Maestro" was interpreted by me the first time as meaning: "Submission made by a Virtuoso" (which is of course quite arrogant to say). Although it might mean "Submission made for a Virtuoso" as well. I don't know. I don't think Maestro is arrogant though, please lemme make that clear so I don't get angry reactions.

Summary: Sometimes I think the additions in order to make it a semi-impossible piece are too straight-forward (just adding octaves doesn't mean it gets better for instance!) and your attitude seems a little arrogant, the pieces are a great addition to this site, a real challenge for the advanced pianist who wants to play something more difficult than the regular stuff. And Maestro turned out to be a nice guy as well.

MaestroUGC

Wow, I had no idea I caused this much controversey...I thank you all for your support and criticism.

I feel as though I need to address some of the issues brought up here:

1) The "Virtuoso" tag-Let me make it perfectly clear: I am not a virtuoso by any means. How can I write these arrangements you may now be asking? I know the limitations of people and the piano. I may be a mediocre player, but I've studied the piano and pianists for years now, I have seen the impossible (Opus Clavicembalisticum) and I have never tried to go above that.

2) My incentive-I do indeed wish to add more to these popular theme of video games. In fact it first started as a challenge by my friends, "I bet you can't make the tetris theme sound better on the piano (made after a snide comment on a friend of mine's playing of the piece in question (we were joking around)). "You're on..." People loved the arrangement so I made more. Then I decided to join NSM and submit my arrangements...and here we are today.

3) My arrogance-Yes, I do have a certain degree of arrogance; but what musician doesn't. One of my choir directors said a few years ago "Show me a musician who isn't arraogant, and I'll show you a man who has no ability." Let's face it, we are all arrogant, some more so than others. Empathica has a little arrogance for making his statement, and I thank him for his criticism.

I have no problems if you don't like my arrangements or my own compositions, I won't hold it against you. It won't stop me from writing. I figure as long as one person enjoys it, I'm doing something right.

As for the requests:
Dire Dire Docks-A fantastic choice, it will be done.
Song of Storms-I'll get back to you on that.
As far as the Super Smash Bros. Series is concerned, I will only arrange one of those themes if I it has enough support. I won't do something that isn't supported. Don't worry, I'm sure the Final Destination will get its due (hint hint).

So I don't ignore people's requests without justification, I will only arrange a piece if it meets one of these two qulaification:
1) I really like the piece
2) It is supported by atleast five people here on this site (other than those who requested it).

There's that arrogance again, thank you for support.

--Maestro UGC--

Empathica1928

I'm not trying to be arrogant and ignorantly bash Maestro, I'm not even trying to bash him at all.  I like the way some of them sound.  I also completely understand that there are a lot of unfathomably talented pianists out there who could do this stuff.  I'm just saying that it doesn't seem like these pieces need to be as complicated as they are.

I think I just have a 'different' style of playing.  I've been self-taught all my life and can do some pretty crazy things on the piano, but every day I see things online and even in person that make me feel completely below another person's level.  I guess I'm kind of a minimalist in that I like my music to be as uncomplicated as possible while still retaining the sound and conveying the message.  I'm very picky with what I play, and I personally just don't like unnecessary octave playing and chords on every 8th note, let alone both on the same hand.

Obviously there are exceptions, like the Athletic theme, in which it works very well, but even then I think it goes a little overboard.  I've just always felt that video game music, especially older games (for which most of the music on this site is) is more suited for the not-so-masterful hands.  Just looking at the books I have for Chrono Trigger, Zelda, and Final Fantasy kind of say that, even the Piano Collections.

Summary:  I think you're a nice guy too, I don't have anything against you.  I just think it's a bit excessive.  You're a very talented composer and some of these do sound good, but it's just a bit much at times.