News:

change da world
my final message. Goodb ye

Main Menu

MaestroUGC's Virtuoso Submissions *Nihil*

Started by MaestroUGC, June 18, 2009, 10:58:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pumpy_heart

I'm pretty sure the LoZ Overworld piece is in Bb Major with some simple mixtures from it's parallel minor. F Major always leads to a Bb Major chord. Normally that F Major chord is prepared by it's own dominant, C Major. Just makes sense for it to be in Bb major as all cadences in that case would end V-I.
Looks and sounds good though.

MaestroUGC

Yes, but because this piece is so modal, I always treated it as if it were B-flat mixolydian. It still works, and it cuts down on all of those extra flats.
Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.

pumpy_heart

I guess that works. But then some of the chords go unexplained. The bVII spelled in mixolydian never moves to I, as is typical in most mixolydian pieces. The lowered 7th is the only difference from the major mode, and this seventh is raised later in the piece. It cuts down on one flat most of the time, sure. But the key signature doesn't define the key (doesn't have to, but makes it easier on the performer).
It sounds modal because of those mixtures, giving tonal ambiguity. The features that establish Bb as tonic are its appearance as the first chord in the piece and the V-I relationship shown with the F Major chord to Bb Major. The key signature doesn't allow for that spelling to be spelled clearly.
Suppose it's up to you, but I've always looked at that piece as using mixtures.

MaestroUGC

Yeah, you're right. It was just easier for me to treat is as mixolydian. Honestly, I could care less about the nitpicking theory with my arrangements. This is just a fun excercise in variation for me, not homework.

pumpy_heart

Haha I guess that's one way of looking at it. And since you don't plan for these to be submitted to the site, it's fine. The theorist in me sees these things automatically most of the time. The requirements for a Composition Major at the University are 1 class away from being a Theory Major. I guess Theory and Comp go hand in hand.

MaestroUGC

Well naturally, besides, I think I'm one of the better arrangers when it comes to theory, given what I do. I'll go back and fix it tomorrow. I know the trials of a Comp student as well...there are just some rules I ignore because of the way my music is supposed to sound.

MaestroUGC

Speaking of music theory, let's try something new.

[GB]Kirby's Dream Land-"Green Greens"-MaestroUGC MUS MID PDF

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ilw0tdxkMP0

With my last ten arrangements, I'm going to take a new route with them and turn them into studies for piano. With Green Greens, we take a look at staccato and legato playing, with some arpegios in the left hand. I'm going to be using Chopin and Liszt as my guides inthese arrangements to keep the writing in check, and I'm going over the techniques myself.

I hope you enjoy this short number.

Super Mario Bros. 2 "Overworld" revision and Loz: Ocarina of Time "Windmill Hut" redux are up next.

Olimar12345

Your Green greens has an incorrect series of chords. ...and quite frankly sounds mediocre because of it...
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

MaestroUGC

There are? Just goes to show you I shouldn't do these at two in the morning.

Bespinben

This will probably not be as useful as pumpy_heart's feedback, but I just wanted to say your Green Greens arrangement is plain awesome. I really like your personal spin on the piece, because it doesn't feel like you changed the song, more like added to it. Again, fantastic.
Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

Olimar12345

The chords starting from measure 7 should be this:
| I | I |ii V| I | I | I |viio 6 iii|vi I64|IV V| I|
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

Olimar12345

umm...Maestro? You there? If so, read the post above. â†' â†' â†'

MaestroUGC

Olimar12345

Quality feedback in a timely fashion. Isn't this what you arrangers with threads cry for? Lol.

Sekter77

The chords do sound a bit off, but I do appreciate trying to turn these tunes into real piano pieces. I've always been curious as to how the wide variety of video game songs fits into the different classical genres and themes and all that stuff so seeing these re-imaginings is really cool to hear, if not play. (It would take years for me to get one piece down)

The theoretical analysis of the Zelda theme you had with Pumpy was actually quite interesting too, especially cause I actually understood some of it! Modes are fun.
Guitar and video games.