News:

It's not Opposite Day.

Main Menu

impressive or impressing

Started by dahans, May 28, 2009, 04:53:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dahans

Sorry but I must ask this. I got an english test on tuesday and there was this sentence (not exactly the same but a similar): This is an ...........................(impress) building. And I wrote impressing. My teacher says this is wrong, but Ingus said that it was right.  So what is the correct answer then?
Check out my arrangements! I mean it! Check them out!

Jamaha

dahans

SuperFireKirby

Yes, impressing is wrong. It is impressive.

Quote from: Mashi on March 26, 2013, 05:54:37 PMAfter viewing both FMA:Brotherhood and Naruto Shippuden, it would be frivolous to even consider watching an anime as unbearably mediocre as Melancholy. NARUTOxHINATA 4 LYFE!!!

SirIngusBingus

Impressing is not right.  It must be used with a direct object (meaning the verb has to be done TO something.)
Example: This concert is impressing me. (I am the direct object.)
Another example (past tense): The concert was impressing me.

Impressive, on the other hand, can be used to describe something in progress OR in the past. It doesn't require a direct object.
Example: This concert is impressive. (Notice that there is no direct object; the concert isn't impressing anyone in particular.)
Another Example (past tense): That concert was impressive.

SuperFireKirby

And that concludes another English lesson from Ingus. Now its about time this topic was locked I would say.

Quote from: Mashi on March 26, 2013, 05:54:37 PMAfter viewing both FMA:Brotherhood and Naruto Shippuden, it would be frivolous to even consider watching an anime as unbearably mediocre as Melancholy. NARUTOxHINATA 4 LYFE!!!

SirIngusBingus

Quote from: SuperFireKirby on May 29, 2009, 12:42:11 PMAnd that concludes another English lesson from Ingus. Now its about time this topic was locked I would say.

I honestly think that was my first one. But yeah, this topic's about done.

dahans

SirIngusBingus

Meh, no problem. I'm always eager to give an english lesson.  ::)

dahans

That's nice, but it would have been much better if impressing were correct. Can you change the english grammatic now? This would be very nice of you :D

SirIngusBingus

*INGUS UNDERGOES A CLASS CHANGE AND CASTS A SPELL THAT CHANGES THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE FOR HIS FRIEND DAHANS

kotorfanboy

Quote from: dahans on May 31, 2009, 09:40:31 AMThat's nice, but it would have been much better if impressing were correct. Can you change the english grammatic now? This would be very nice of you :D

That should be grammar. Grammar is a noun, Grammatic is an adjective. In your sentence, you need a noun to do something. In this case, grammar is changing.

Thought you would want that pointed out, since we're on the topic of it.

Unless you know that already and wanted to make a subliminal joke because you want grammar changed. If so, haha.

SirIngusBingus

It is my job to give english lessons, thanks.:P

But yes, kotor's right.

dahans

I am so stupid thx. I knew that the noun was grammar but I had obviously a black out. However, maybe we should change the name of the topic into English lessons^^. But thx for correcting my bad English. If you keep on critising me, I will (hopefully) improve my English. And that is what I want.

SuperFireKirby

You guys auys are the worse with grammatic than I am.