News:

We seem to have trapped one of the mods within the forum's code... and we're not sure how to get him out. Oh well, he'll figure it out!

Main Menu

Pokémon Gold and Silver returns - for the DS

Started by Cobraroll, May 08, 2009, 03:16:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oni-Link

Quote from: Roz~ on May 23, 2010, 06:00:40 PMAt least change Strength and Aerial Ace for Stone Edge and Night Slash. And Scizor's attack stat is slightly better than Heracross's one just so you know. Plus, if Scizor has technician, with good moves it is stronger than Heracross. And let's not forget the typing of these two Pokemon : Scizor's only weakness is Fire, and it has numerous resistances, compared to Heracross, who has 3 weaknesses, Fire/Flying/Psychic, and has less resistances than Scizor.
I'm the kind of person that prefers Sp. Atk over Attack.
What does that make me?

Roz~

Quote from: Oni-Link on May 23, 2010, 06:04:36 PMI'm the kind of person that prefers Sp. Atk over Attack.
What does that make me?

I've never said that it is stupid to prefer special attacks over physical attacks. However, using special attacks over physical attacks on a Scizor or a Heracross is just plain wrong. Their Atk stats are respectively 130 and 125, while their Sp. Atk stats are 55 and 40. It'd be like giving physical attacks to Gengar or Alakazam, even if their Sp. Atk stats are higher. If you prefer special attacks over physical attacks, it's all good, as long as you use Pokemon that actually have a good Sp. Atk stat so it can be worth it. It really depends on what Pokemon you are using.
Quote from: MaestroUGC on February 13, 2013, 01:16:55 PM
Thanks. For a moment there I was worried, though. I almost needed to blow you.

SlowPokemon

I prefer Sp. Attack over Attack also. I picked up Heracross because it's been a while since I trained a Bug or a Fighting type.

Favorite types = Psychic, then Grass. Not a huge Exeggcute fan though. XD
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

Cobraroll

^Go fight a Blissey, then rephrase your preferations. Unless you've got a Max Sp. Atk Lucario with Choice Specs and Focus Blast, your chances of defeating it with a special attack are slim. With a Max Sp. Atk Lucario with Choice Specs and Focus Blast, you will at least KO it if you get a Critical Hit.

Even the most powerful special attacks in the game (Porygon-Z's Hyper Beam and Kyogre's Water Spout) will fail to OHKO a Blissey. But bring forth Close Combat, and the Happiness Pokémon will fall.

Though, that being said, Special Attacks are a lot more epic. Go read Emergence for example.
Emergence - a story exclusive to NSM

Yes, I'm still around from time to time. For quicker response, you can reach me by PM, or drop by Smogon to say hi. I go by "Codraroll" there, because of a bet.

SlowPokemon

Have you read any of this post? Haven't I just said I have a Heracross with ridiculous Attack??? And Close Combat???

Plus, Porygon-Z isn't the only highest non-uber Sp. Atk. It's tied with Alakazam...

But maybe you meant its the highest power Sp Move with same type...

Cobraroll

Look it up. Porygon-Z's Hyper Beam is the second most powerful Special move in Pokémon (I intend to put together a full list one day). Alakazam has as high Special Attack, but doesn't learn an as powerful STAB move, and P-Z's Adaptability would have made Hyper Beam stronger anyway.

I merely said that you should be prepared for some Pokémon who can sponge up attacks from both ends of the spectrum and easily defeat a team that favours one of the attacking types. Perhaps I sounded a little too harsh, but I meant to say that you should use both Physical and Special attacks equally much.

However, outside competitive battling, you're free to favour whatever you want. It's meant to be fun, after all.
Emergence - a story exclusive to NSM

Yes, I'm still around from time to time. For quicker response, you can reach me by PM, or drop by Smogon to say hi. I go by "Codraroll" there, because of a bet.

SlowPokemon

Let's look at my team (seriously, not being sarcastic):
Meganium - Phys/Sp
Dragonite - Phys
Slowking - Sp
Heracross - Phys
Ampharos - Sp
Ninetales - Sp

Maybe I do use too many special attackers... I feel like I have a fairly good team Type-wise, however. Having no repeating Types.

Roz~

Having different types is not the only thing that counts. You need to have good synergy between your team members. Your team is not that bad, but there are still 5 types where you can't switch in for not very effective damage. About the Sp Atk. stuff, I totally agree with what Cobraroll said. If you're not playing competitively, then it doesn't really matters.

SlowPokemon

What are those five types...?
...Hmm...
Normal...
Rock...
Ghost...
Dragon...

...And possibly Poison, depending on how it fares against Heracross, can't remember.

Maybe my team was built too much around offense rather than defense... :P
Or maybe it sucks at both. T.T

Ruto

Maybe you should include a tank Pokemon. Sweepers are well and good against AI and possibly against other sweepers, but people find a way around everything :D

Try Lugia:

Careful Nature (+SpDef, -SpAtk), high EV in SpDef, Def and HP and IV favoring one of the above, holding Leftovers:

Moves
Toxic
Recover
Whirlwind
Calm Mind/Reflect

Also, playing to strengths is useful. Why not use Meganium for a defensive type/tank instead? Since its Attack/SpAttack is a bit lacking compared to a Sceptile's let's say. Add that with a favoring nature and IV.

Quote from: SlowPokemon on May 24, 2010, 10:46:50 AMI prefer Sp. Attack over Attack also. I picked up Heracross because it's been a while since I trained a Bug or a Fighting type.

Favorite types = Psychic, then Grass. Not a huge Exeggcute fan though. XD

One hit with Signal Beam and it's over XD

I seem to be missing a piece of my ear.

Roz~

Why do people always rely on legendary/Uber Pokemon? You could easily choose Dusknoir, Skarmory or Blissey instead of Lugia (though everyone seems to be using Blissey anyway.)

TheLegend

Yeah, legendaries aren't really that great sometimes... I personally don't like Ho-Oh, I should've gotten heartgold so that I could get lugia at lvl 70 :P  Skarmory, Dusknoir, and Blissey are awesome, but Lugia is also awesome.  My team...

Typhlosion
Venusaur
Dragonite
Mewtwo
Ampharos
red Gyrados

I basically just have all the different types.  I think that makes a good team... any suggestions to me?

SlowPokemon

Quote from: TheLegend on May 26, 2010, 04:48:38 PMYeah, legendaries aren't really that great sometimes... I personally don't like Ho-Oh, I should've gotten heartgold so that I could get lugia at lvl 70 :P  Skarmory, Dusknoir, and Blissey are awesome, but Lugia is also awesome.  My team...

Typhlosion
Venusaur
Dragonite
Mewtwo
Ampharos
red Gyrados

I basically just have all the different types.  I think that makes a good team... any suggestions to me?

I have a suggestion. Don't use legendaries, shiny Pokemon, or more than one starter. That's a turn-off with me at the very start. Also, read above posts after I posted my team - Roz's post, actually. Pointed out that a bunch of Types isn't the only thing that counts. And you really don't have all that many Types.

Also, @Ruto - I'm not using Lugia. I have a perfectly good team that I love, however apparently weak it is. As for Signal Beam, I use that with my Ampharos in SoulSilver and my Gardevoir in Platinum and it's beast... But I prefer Megahorn.

@Roz - I have a level 86 Dusknoir in my Platinum. Training it was one of the best choices I ever made. It's Defense is beast.

Sorry about the long post.

Roz~

Quote from: SlowPokemon on May 26, 2010, 05:29:21 PM@Roz - I have a level 86 Dusknoir in my Platinum. Training it was one of the best choices I ever made. It's Defense is beast.

Dusknoir with WoW/Pain Split/Earthquake is awsm! I should really try to breed one, shiny or not. One day I guess. x)

Quote from: TheLegend on May 26, 2010, 04:48:38 PMYeah, legendaries aren't really that great sometimes... I personally don't like Ho-Oh, I should've gotten heartgold so that I could get lugia at lvl 70 :P  Skarmory, Dusknoir, and Blissey are awesome, but Lugia is also awesome.  My team...

Typhlosion
Venusaur
Dragonite
Mewtwo
Ampharos
red Gyrados

You have 3 Pokemon that are weak to Rock type, and no one in your team can cover them. You also have the same problem with Dragon, Dark, Ghost, Normal and Poison types, although only one of your Pokemon is weak to each of those types. Still, this is something you might want to check out. But I guess that since you're probably not playing against other trainers, it doesn't really matter. Try to replace Mewtwo for another Pokemon. Imho it's not right to rely on Ubers, but that's just me. You could replace it with any Pokemon with a Rock resistance though.

Ruto

Quote from: SlowPokemon on May 26, 2010, 05:29:21 PMAlso, @Ruto - I'm not using Lugia. I have a perfectly good team that I love, however apparently weak it is. As for Signal Beam, I use that with my Ampharos in SoulSilver and my Gardevoir in Platinum and it's beast... But I prefer Megahorn.

It's fine if you don't want to train a Lugia, it was related to the subject of tanks.

Signal Beam was an example of sorts. Exeggcute has a 4x weakness against bugs and very low sp.def but high defense. I tend to avoid 4x weakness types.

I really do like Legendaries since they have really high base stats. Lugia has one of the highest defense stats with decent HP (Shuckle has higher stats in defense but very low HP) and it sounds like a waste not to use. Training wise, I tend to max out only 2 of a Pokemon's stats and most Pokemon are like that---high in only 2 stats.

I do have to say I really like Ninetales and Ampharos though...

I seem to be missing a piece of my ear.