News:

Congratulations!! You, yes, YOU, dear user, have been selected for the "You Read This News Item" award! Click here for your prize!!

Main Menu

Pokémon Gold and Silver returns - for the DS

Started by Cobraroll, May 08, 2009, 03:16:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

universe-X

Well, it proves Pokemon was created by Asians :P

Ruto

Hey, I'd rather have formulas than a random number generator :P

If I remember correctly I saw my cousin catch Azelf in Pt with a freakin' Pokeball when it was at full health. I think he tapped A repeatedly or whatnot, I'll ask again.

I seem to be missing a piece of my ear.

universe-X

Quote from: Ruto on May 08, 2010, 05:28:03 PMHey, I'd rather have formulas than a random number generator :P
Even though the formula's wrong?

Ruto

LOL no.  Just meant that it was better to have a formula so you can make reasonable guesses. But where does that Pokeball-Azelf thing turn into? (I have to check out the formula first.)

Back when it took 2 hours to catch Lugia at 1 HP and asleep...I'd rather not have that again. I'd also like to be able to predict its stats by nature, IV calculator and EVs. Waaay better than the old times where there was no way to do that.

master_gamer38

That formula works out just fine. I checked all the math, and it works out great. Trust me, it's all fine.
Avid user of NFNet IRC network.

Cobraroll

Quote from: Ruto on May 08, 2010, 05:28:03 PMIf I remember correctly I saw my cousin catch Azelf in Pt with a freakin' Pokeball when it was at full health. I think he tapped A repeatedly or whatnot, I'll ask again.

Actually, it's not impossible. Just that the chance is very, very small.
Emergence - a story exclusive to NSM

Yes, I'm still around from time to time. For quicker response, you can reach me by PM, or drop by Smogon to say hi. I go by "Codraroll" there, because of a bet.

Jamaha

dahans

Quote from: JaMaHa on May 10, 2010, 01:48:15 AMI should probably buy one of these.
Definitely!

Do you think that this remake is worth buying if you already have the "old" edition? Which game is better in your opinion? I take the view that Pokemon G/S were better...
Check out my arrangements! I mean it! Check them out!

Roz~

I bought HG because my old gold ain't working anymore, and I think it's worth it, even if you have the old versions. There are some fun new additions like the pokéathlon and the GTS. I don't think Gold is better than HG and vice versa, 'cause they are the same game. But I prefer HG/SS for the better graphics and new additions they gave to them.
Quote from: MaestroUGC on February 13, 2013, 01:16:55 PM
Thanks. For a moment there I was worried, though. I almost needed to blow you.

Ruto

Quote from: Cobraroll on May 09, 2010, 06:35:59 AMActually, it's not impossible. Just that the chance is very, very small.

Well I don't have time to write up the formula in a spreadsheet but this online one says:

0.416% chance per ball, approximately 241 balls needed on average

(For that Azelf, if a Pokeball was used)

The formula seems reasonable but in the end it DOES just give a probability. My cousin told me that Pokeball thing when I was playing his game and using his money to buy Ultra Balls. He said, why are you wasting my money? Pokeballs work on anything. I told him to prove it.  AND HE CAUGHT IT on his 3rd ball D:

HGSS is actually really good despite the difficulty in growing berries.  Dunno if this happened to anyone else, but did the old GS versions stopped being able to save? I caught a Lugia in the first save file, then it got deleted for some strange reason. I didn't know what was wrong so I started another file and got to Kanto again. And it deleted itself again. After that I stopped playing it. That's what you meant by it "not working" right?

Dude

The internal battery dies within a couple of years. You'd need to get a special screwdriver to replace it with a new battery for it to work properly again.

dahans

My old silver editions still works perfectly... However, I do not really like remakes, I don't know why. Unfortunately I cannot force my little sister to play pokemon silver :(.^^
Check out my arrangements! I mean it! Check them out!

KefkaticFanatic

me irl
[close]

Ruto

Quote from: dahans on May 10, 2010, 10:15:31 PMMy old silver editions still works perfectly... However, I do not really like remakes, I don't know why. Unfortunately I cannot force my little sister to play pokemon silver :(.^^

Lucky you. I bought that game in ToysRUs and it died in less than a year. I was a kid and didn't think about warranties, hardware failures, screwdrivers. Just thought it was my fault. :(
Of course you can't force little sisters to play Pokemon Silver...! Who uses disposable batteries anymore? And those graphics?

But I really like remakes with improved whatsits, but they haven't made the remake of my favorite Pokemon game and I don't think they ever will. POKEMON YELLOW. Best rendering of Pikachu and all the starters, had the same feel as the first season of the show...the memories. Bah. Now I feel old.

Roz~

QuoteHGSS is actually really good despite the difficulty in growing berries.  Dunno if this happened to anyone else, but did the old GS versions stopped being able to save? I caught a Lugia in the first save file, then it got deleted for some strange reason. I didn't know what was wrong so I started another file and got to Kanto again. And it deleted itself again. After that I stopped playing it. That's what you meant by it "not working" right?

Yes, that's what I meant. As Dude said, the internal battery died. But it's actually pretty easy to change your game's battery, so you might want to try. Now my old gold's brand new :D

And I think GS graphics were and still are pretty badass. I grew up with the snes, so I just love them. Imho they are a lot better than the RSE ones. Just because it had improved so much since RBY made me love them... finally the Pokemon looked cool! (At least to me.) And yeah, I agree that yellow was a pretty good game. I loved the fact that I could have the same team as Ash without having to trade with friends.
Quote from: MaestroUGC on February 13, 2013, 01:16:55 PM
Thanks. For a moment there I was worried, though. I almost needed to blow you.