News:

Rest in pepperoni, Mario Mario, 1981 - 2021
He will be missed by all, except for me! WARIO, NUMBER ONE!

Main Menu

Pokémon Gold and Silver returns - for the DS

Started by Cobraroll, May 08, 2009, 03:16:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cobraroll

http://bulbanews.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Nintendo_confirms_Generation_II_remakes

What the title says. And I must say, I'm very, very excited by this. Story-wise, the Gen. 2 games were my favourites, and with the addition of the Gen. IV Pokémon roster, graphics and battle system, these will most likely nab my top spot in favourite Pokémon games. Any thoughts?

Critics, please read these articles before you say anything:
http://dragonflycave.com/aapdead.aspx
http://dragonflycave.com/aapwhy.aspx
http://dragonflycave.com/aapchildish.aspx

You can of course refrain from doing so, but your arguments better stand strong if you want to be taken seriously.
Emergence - a story exclusive to NSM

Yes, I'm still around from time to time. For quicker response, you can reach me by PM, or drop by Smogon to say hi. I go by "Codraroll" there, because of a bet.

GreekGeek

A return would be so freakin' cool, especially since I can catch the Johto starters then and transfer them to Pearl =D

omega

Eh, I'll say what I think of pokemon. It just gets remade and tweaked and its all the same crap that got released back in them olden days. I played several pokemon titles but after one or two games they're just all the same, which is really freakin boring, I liked pokemon but all these new titles ehhh.. not so much at all. way too samey.

and yes I've seen all the new features and such but its still very much the same.
The odds of there being a bomb on a plane are a million to one. The odds of there being two bombs on a plane are a million times a million to one. So next time you fly, cut the odds and bring a bomb.

dahans

It is already affirmed and this Sunday we will know a lot more about the differences. I am such a big fan of Pokemon and I really must say that Gen II was the best. Although Gen I and III weren't bad either, Gen II was simply the best.
Check out my arrangements! I mean it! Check them out!

SirIngusBingus

E3 is really early this year: June 1st to 4th. We'll know everything in a couple of months. Hopefully, Nintendo will admit that Spirit Tracks is just a joke and that the real Zelda game is a TP sequel.

KefkaticFanatic

me irl
[close]

Cobraroll

I really hope they'll bring back the closed dungeons from GS' Kanto. Here's a quick overview of them, in chronological order from R/B/Y:

Dungeon name - Status in G/S/C:
Viridian Forest - Chopped down, no more a separate dungeon, but an ordinary part of Route 2.
Pewter Museum - Closed
Mt. Moon - Extremely shrunk, lower levels no more
Cerulean/Vermilion Tunnel - Unchanged
SS. Anne - Not there anymore
Diglett's Cave - Unchanged
Rock Tunnel - Shrunk
Lavender Pokémon Tower - Most of the building closed off
Lavender Memorial site - A new building to GSC. A lady mentions lower levels in the building, but they are inaccesible.
Lavender/Celadon Tunnel - Closed off due to "illegal battling". Inaccessible, but I can't see why they left it out, when they had a story.
Rocket Hideout - Closed off.
Silph. Co - The entire building closed off.
Power Plant - Rebuilt as Magnet Train control center.
Safari Zone - inaccessible through normal means (can be entered by cheating, but no exit)
Seafoam Islands - Caves sealed off for humans. Only a small chamber remains.
Cinnabar Island - Entire island gone in volcano eruption (huh? What volcano?), that includes Pokémon Mansion.
Cerulean Cave - Collapsed.
I may even have forgot one or two.

Note that there are several reasons why these were left out of the game. One thing is that they didn't have more space in the game cartridge, the Safari Zone was closed due to the infamous glitch in R/B/Y, and, after all, if everything went unchanged, the second half of the game would have been too repetive, a close copy of RBY, without anything new. And how much time did you spend in the dungeons anyways? Once done with them, you most likely never placed your foot there again, and didn't want to go through the exact same thing again in the next game. I hope they'll make some dungeons accessible again, with new stories and missions.
Hopefully, they'll also give the trainers there more training, there was one trainer in the entire game who had Pokémon above lv. 50, that was Red, who was hiding deep inside a mountain in the middle of nowhere and could only be battled once a day. Even the Elite Four's strongest Pokémon was at lvl 50, but the "Elite 4 becomes stronger as you progress"-system introduced in FR/LG will hopefully be here too. And also, I hope for some place where you can rebattle the Gym Leaders again, like Platinum's Battleground.

Last, I'm excited about the impact this will have on the competitive battling scene. With Platinum, entire tier lists were redefined, a bunch of Pokémon got awesome new moves, no doubt this one will add a few new moves to a Pokémon here and there as well, expanding movepools may leave some Pokémon obsolete (coughdragonitecough), and others to shine even brighter (Garchomp/Tyranitar for starters).

Yes, I'm still around from time to time. For quicker response, you can reach me by PM, or drop by Smogon to say hi. I go by "Codraroll" there, because of a bet.

dahans

Is there any information? What do we know about the game now?

dahans

kotorfanboy

Looks great aside from the names...heart gold and soul silver?

Cobraroll

GreekGeek

I love the music though.
I wonder if the fact Chikorita walks behind the trainer is a reference to Yellow or if it's the new gameplay, based on Yellow.

blah54

battle speed must be increased, to the speed of ruby/sapphire/emerald ones... seriously, battles in diamond and pearl were so friggin slow it wasn't even funny (i don't know about platinum though)...

and they better not have that stupid vs. seeker as well, the pokenav and the phone from the previous games was so much better...
It's on a need-to-know basis that you don't need to know.

Cobraroll

^Now you're kidding, right?

With the VS seeker, you could do what would be the most plausible thing to do when you wanted a battle in the Pokémon world: Send a signal to any trainers around you, who would respond yes/no depending on their mood. Also, you could battle almost whenever you wanted. No need to walk around in the grass for training, or exp. share in the Elite Four, you could train your Pokémon vs. other trainers, and nearly everyone wanted a rematch when you wanted.

With the Pokénav phone, you'd actually have to wait an eternity before someone wanted to battle, plus the fact that G/S/C had no places suitable for Pokémon training either. Plus, ninety percent of the calls you got was from trainers telling you that they had almost cought a Tentacool.
I guess "both" would be a great solution, that you had certain trainers to keep in better contact with, who would also get stronger Pokémon than the regular VS seeker trainers. We'll have to wait and see.

Faster battles, however, would be welcomed. Though, I think that has more to do with the DS's capacity than aestetic purposes.