School...

Started by dahans, May 06, 2009, 10:13:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dahans

My mother wants me to ask this, because in Austria the teachers were striking, because they had to work 2 hours more the week. So I ask you: What is your school like? How many hours do you supposed to be in school? How many hours do your teachers work the week? How many holidays do you have? Tell me please just everything.
In my school it is like that: We have 34 hours the week school and about 4(!) months holidays. That's the reason why teachers are so hated in my country... Most people complain about the fact that teachers are lazy and they don't work anything except relaxing at the pool. What is it in your country like?
Check out my arrangements! I mean it! Check them out!

GreekGeek

My school works like this: everyone gotta choose a "profiel" (profile) so it's called and the amount of hours at school differs along the profiel you have. I myself have 36 hours a week, but others got 32 and others got 38. We gotta have 1000 hours of education time a year, but we can fill the remaining hours with things like school activities. Teachers work as much as they want, some work like 40 hours a week and others 12. And I think almost every teacher gets at least one day off a week.

I don't know how many months of holiday we have, but it must be like 3 or something.

Jamaha

Cobraroll

Our school system is quite simple. I'll explain my year only, as I can't remember the number of hours from last year.

We have 12 hours of obligatory subjects this year. (4x Norwegian, 2x PE, 4x Language (French, German or Spanish), 2x History) Then we have to choose four subjects, with five hours each a week (some subjects only have three hours). Thus, we have 30-32 hours a week.
The school year starts August ~15. In October, we have Autumn Holiday (one week). December ~20, to January ~5, we have Christmas Holiday. Week 8 is time for Winter Holiday (one week), then we have eight days off during Easter. Then no more holidays until Summer Holiday, which starts about June ~20.

~ = A few days more or less.
Emergence - a story exclusive to NSM

Yes, I'm still around from time to time. For quicker response, you can reach me by PM, or drop by Smogon to say hi. I go by "Codraroll" there, because of a bet.

GreekGeek

Quote from: Cobraroll on May 07, 2009, 01:14:50 AMOur school system is quite simple. I'll explain my year only, as I can't remember the number of hours from last year.

We have 12 hours of obligatory subjects this year. (4x Norwegian, 2x PE, 4x Language (French, German or Spanish), 2x History) Then we have to choose four subjects, with five hours each a week (some subjects only have three hours). Thus, we have 30-32 hours a week.
The school year starts August ~15. In October, we have Autumn Holiday (one week). December ~20, to January ~5, we have Christmas Holiday. Week 8 is time for Winter Holiday (one week), then we have eight days off during Easter. Then no more holidays until Summer Holiday, which starts about June ~20.

~ = A few days more or less.

Yeah I forgot the subjects.
I have:
4x Latin
4x Greek (which makes 8x a week of Ancient Languages =O)
2x English
3x Dutch
3x French (which makes 16x a week of languages while others normally have 9)
3x Physics
2x Chemistry
4x Maths (Which I LOATHE)
2x PE
3x Biology
1x Sitting in the library
And some others hours I can't remember

dahans

Wow that's pretty interesting, it seems that you have as many days off as I have. The only positive thing about the Austrian school system is that we have 2 months summer holidays!!!
The teachers are in my country the scapegoats. They always get blamed for being lazy, for getting too much paid and so on. Is this "usual" in your country too?

GreekGeek

Teachers are said to be given (what a lovely verbs) not enough salary, the exact opposite. And they can't calculate themselves, so how are they gonna teach that to children. Especially with the "black" schools, there's a lot of problems.

SirIngusBingus

My school runs from 7 to 2, mon-fri. Teachers must teach 6 periods out of nine (40 minute periods). A school year is 180 days. School runs from the beginning of September to the end of June. (We get a lot of days/weeks off in between)

kotorfanboy

Teachers get dirt cheap salaries here.

And I like the flexibility of Greekgeek's schedule, I wish we had something like that instead of 6 periods a day, lunch, rinse and repeat. No flair to it.

dahans

Wow I didn't expect so many differences. I supposed that there would be slightly differences... GreekGeek may I go to your school  ::)?

GreekGeek

Quote from: dahans on May 07, 2009, 12:43:45 PMWow I didn't expect so many differences. I supposed that there would be slightly differences... GreekGeek may I go to your school  ::)?

Haha, it's the hardest school in Holland (and that's serious), so I wouldn't recommend it :P
But it's cool to have such flexibility indeed.

Are there any people who have lunch school, i.e. school cooks the meals?
We don't, we have to take our own dirty sandwiches with us.

kotorfanboy

Pretty much all the schools in the US have school-provided lunches.

blah54

i'm in the IB program, im in the middle of my finals right now though -_-

for any1 who doesnt know... in IB you have to take one subject from 6 different groups which amounts to six subjects which can be taken at higher or standard levels (self-explanatory)... in addition to those you have to take theory of knowledge (lame excuse for philosophy) and do CAS which is basically doing arts stuff, sports stuff and volunteer stuff...
It's on a need-to-know basis that you don't need to know.

Magus Darkwind

My school last year, (much more representative than an online school) was supposed to have 7 hours of school, with lunch excluded, (30 mins long) and the teachers hours, varied a lot, one of my teachers would have all of his TAs do the work, (short of his 1 AP class) one the other hand, another of my teachers spent easily 10 hours/day, so I'd say, it definitely varied, which is actually, I think the best, I believe in efficiency, teachers teach their classes, and get the grading done, what more is there to say.

To my school this year, each of the teachers has a set hew hours to which they devote to grading the work done by the students, all of the assignments and lectures are online and can be done at anytime. The teaching job, for them, is a side-job.
Necrophobe: "Enough of this! DIE!!!"
*casts flare*
Gilgamesh: "I believe that's MY line!!!"
*Self-destruct* They both die

GreekGeek

Quote from: kotorfanboy on May 07, 2009, 04:16:25 PMPretty much all the schools in the US have school-provided lunches.

That would be so cool. We only have two vending machines that always swallow your money and then run out of power. And the candy's horrible.