News:

Need help with Finale? Have a question about arranging? NSM Resources is the place to go!

Main Menu

which pokémon game did u like best?

Started by dahans, April 21, 2009, 10:19:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

favourite pokémon?

red/blue/yellow
4 (9.3%)
silver/gold
13 (30.2%)
ruby/ sapphire
6 (14%)
diamond/perl
7 (16.3%)
leaf green/ fire red
0 (0%)
emerald
3 (7%)
crystal
6 (14%)
i hate pokémon
4 (9.3%)

Total Members Voted: 39

dahans

what's ur favourite pokémon? due to the topic i posted the day before about pokémon, I'm really interested what pokémon u liked best. And u only have to vote if you find it kiddy and u are not able to admit that u actually like it. :) anyway i voted for silver/gold because the game was really really good.
Check out my arrangements! I mean it! Check them out!

Cobraroll

This was also a topic recently on the other forum I'm a member of, CoasterForce. This was what I wrote then.

Quote from: meGeneration I was the far superior in terms of originality. However, the battle system was pretty skewed (any Pokémon with Double Team, Sand-attack, Rest and Wrap/Clamp/Bind/Fire Spin was an invinsible unhittable douchebag. Flareon, for example), though the story mode rocked.

Generation II brought a lot of goodyness, and personally, I think Gold/Silver/Crystal are the best of the series, game-wise. The thing of going back to Kanto was really good, though the programmers had to cut a lot out of the region, either to keep the game from being too long, or because of technical limitations. As most awake players can see, none of the large dungeons from Gen I are there in Gen II. And all the trainers in the game downright sucked, the only one to provide a mild resistance was Red, who of course could only be battled once a day. Even the Pokémon League had their Pokémon lobotomized, the best of them having one single Pokémon at lvl. 50.

Gen III was only average, though the battle system was vastly improved, and the amount of moves available was really good. The inclusions of contests and the graphical/sound update also made the game a lot fresher. However, the new Pokémon were mostly hideous, and many of them were really unnecessary. The Gen I remakes were good too.

Gen IV was a downright epic disappointment. The story was just a copy of the previous generations, there was a ton of (bad) legendaries, and only a dozen or so of the new Pokémon were in the spirit of the previous generations. The legends now include "creation myths", and the villainous team now will destroy the universe, instead of just taking control of the region (gen I and II) or change the world (Gen. III).
The music was not good at all (two exceptions), and the contests were just gimmicky and overly complicated. The only thing I liked was the battle system update (Yay! Split attack/sp. attack for all type moves!), and the larger numbers of TMs.
Rumours has it that the Gen. II games are to be remade for the DS. I really hope they do it.

Gen. II for me. I really hope there never will be a gen. V, just a few new Pokémon and a for once different story. A less ambigous villainous team and no more legendaries (Honestly. What more can they base legends on?) would be much appreciated. Start using the old material in new ways instead of adding a ton more of declining quality.
Emergence - a story exclusive to NSM

Yes, I'm still around from time to time. For quicker response, you can reach me by PM, or drop by Smogon to say hi. I go by "Codraroll" there, because of a bet.

dahans

nice article really and i completely share ur opinion. Gen IV was really disappointing, although i must say i enjoyed the music very much. The point is that there are too much Pokémon. Instead of producing millions of pokémon for each gen, they could do a remake of gen II as well. But obviously it won't change anyway. However, let's hope that the next edition will be much better than the last one.

dahans

i think diamond/pearl won't get any vote :)

MetroidHunter26

Gold and Silver take the cake here It was a great experiance when you just finished red version (or Yellow in my case) and had a new adventure all over again. Had 100 more pokemon but you could live with it not with 493 pokemon to capture just a simple 251 was all. and it was great.

GreekGeek

I remember the hours of gettin' to know the Pokémon so well, that I'll always be in love with Gen I. Gen I had a great storyline, the gym leaders and E4 were one of the hardest in the series, the Pokémon were original (not very strange though), the music was so sweet and the game was fairly simple. One disadvantage: after you had conquered the E4, you could only battle wild Pokémon and battle the E4, so it was really hard to re-match with trainers.

Gen II was, as many agree, one of the best games. The trainers in Johto were horribly easy, including the E4, and in my opinion Kanto was heavily underrated. Nothing was left, just Snorlaxes, gym leaders, E4 and some minor trainers. The music was lovely, the graphics had improved and as Metroid said before, it was always better to live with 251 then with 493. The legendaries were cool, but quite weak.

Gen III was, next to Gen II, my favorite. The new Pokémon were cool and the fact that the number of legendaries had increased so much, didn't disturb me, because they were strong. Kyogre could beat the E4 on his one the first time at level 49. The music was really great, Team Aqua (in my case) started to become less villainous (which I didn't like), but the adventure lasted all game long.

Gen IV was a complete disappointment, the music was bad, the newly added Pokémon were just plain stupid and useless, Team Galactic was like a minor in the huge game and the storyline ended when you had caught/beaten the Pokémon at Sky Pillar. There was a nausiating high number of legendaries and they were so bad. Heatran (how stupid can you be to give a legendary a 4x weakness against earthquake?!), Cresselia (annoying to catch and not better than a good trained Alakazam), the Legendary Trio (not original, just three the same Pokémon), Rotom (why the hell did they invent this useless thing?) etc. Only Darkrai and Arceus were good (and also the unobtainable ones along with Shaymin and Manaphy/Phione), so that was like plain stupid. One little point of light: the graphics were incredible. They should also never have invented the Pokéradar and the VS. Seeker. Horrible to walk so much for one beep.

You guys totally forgot about Colosseum and XD. Colosseum was the best game in my opinion when it comes to music, as you can see in my arrangements thread. They have some lovely piano/rock organ motives and the quality is far better. XD has some great techno-like music, like Battle SIM Challenge, Cipher's Theme and the stunning the Hexagon Bros. The storyline of both however is complicated and the lack of routes to train one is a huge minor. The admins were really cool and the idea of Shadow Pokémon was great, although the purifying was a hell of a job.

So in my opinion:
Best music: Colosseum/XD
Best storyline: Gold/Silver/Crystal
Best graphics: Diamond/Pearl/Platinum
Best villains: Red/Blue/Yellow
Best legendaries: Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald
Best disappointment: Diamond/Pearl/Platinum :P

And I do know I can't write as well as Cobra ;)

dahans

First of all I think you write pretty well :). Secondly I think that you are right, I totally agree with you. But in my opinion Gen III wasn't as good as the Gen II. It was hilarious. I got the game when I was 8 years old and I played it with my friends all day long. One thing I must complain about Pokemon: The games are getting easier every Generation. As you said GreekGeek Kyogre could beat the E4 on his one the first time at level 49. And Diamond and Pearl might had a great story after the E4, but in my opinion far too boring.

Purple1222119

...O_o

I've played all the main Pokemon games and apparently no one likes the newer generations? Why? I think they're good. Maybe I just have different tastes. I also like movie sequels also unlike most people. Sorry to say I like the Pokemon D/P/Pt better. Sorry
My Youtube! Featuring Orchestrations of Nintendo music and more!
Latest Tracks: Super Mario RPG & Superstar Saga HD ReMIX

GreekGeek

Quote from: Purple1222119 on May 24, 2009, 10:51:43 PM...O_o

I've played all the main Pokemon games and apparently no one likes the newer generations? Why? I think they're good. Maybe I just have different tastes. I also like movie sequels also unlike most people. Sorry to say I like the Pokemon D/P/Pt better. Sorry
That's okay, I just hope they don't do a remake of D/P/Pt (but I guess they will).

Tranzlater

I thought the gen I pokémon were good, gen II alright (starters and legendaries sucked) gen III had a few good pokémon however it did start to get a bit stupid now, and gen IV introduced some pretty cool things however the pokémon were downright stupid. Soon we're going to have 'Dotmon' and 'Polka-dotmon', it's fifteenth-gen evolution.
Quote from: Arison The Bat
oviosly so far i've only got "little unmature kids" to respond to this thread
After months of mediation and exams, I return.
Probably not for long.

Cobraroll

^^^I think the reason is that, after all, the newer games follow the exact same formula as all the previous ones, and each generation adds more useless legendary Pokémons. It's great to start in that remote rural village and roam the land to be a great trainer, but after four games, it's starting to wear.
Also, look at:
 - The starter trios, always the same types.
 - The villainous team, who gets more ambigous each time.
 - You can find a normal- and a flying- type on the route going from Town 1 to Town 2
 - Always 8 gyms
 - http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Future_generations_of_Pok%C3%A9mon in general. Read this, and realise how predictable the games have become.

And the music from D/P is just generally worse than music in previous games. No feeling or atmosphere anywhere. With one exception...

What I'd like to see is something new. Using the same legendaries in new legends, not have a villainous team in the same way, more Gyms or semi-gyms, places you don't need to visit, more side-quests, and more ways to complete the game. Be creative, GameFreak!
Emergence - a story exclusive to NSM

Yes, I'm still around from time to time. For quicker response, you can reach me by PM, or drop by Smogon to say hi. I go by "Codraroll" there, because of a bet.

Tranzlater

Oh, look, they are re-releasing gold and silver.

HeartGold and SoulSilver. It fits, right?
Probably not for long.

GreekGeek

Quote from: Tranzlater on May 25, 2009, 06:27:03 AMOh, look, they are re-releasing gold and silver.

HeartGold and SoulSilver. It fits, right?
Good morning my friend.

Quote from: Cobraroll on May 25, 2009, 01:01:45 AM^^^I think the reason is that, after all, the newer games follow the exact same formula as all the previous ones, and each generation adds more useless legendary Pokémons. It's great to start in that remote rural village and roam the land to be a great trainer, but after four games, it's starting to wear.
Also, look at:
 - The starter trios, always the same types.
 - The villainous team, who gets more ambigous each time.
 - You can find a normal- and a flying- type on the route going from Town 1 to Town 2
 - Always 8 gyms
 - http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Future_generations_of_Pok%C3%A9mon in general. Read this, and realise how predictable the games have become.

And the music from D/P is just generally worse than music in previous games. No feeling or atmosphere anywhere. With one exception...

What I'd like to see is something new. Using the same legendaries in new legends, not have a villainous team in the same way, more Gyms or semi-gyms, places you don't need to visit, more side-quests, and more ways to complete the game. Be creative, GameFreak!

Totally agree, as usual.
And the E4 should be made harder...

Tranzlater

There should be an E3, just to take the piss.
Probably not for long.

SuperFireKirby

Quote from: Mashi on March 26, 2013, 05:54:37 PMAfter viewing both FMA:Brotherhood and Naruto Shippuden, it would be frivolous to even consider watching an anime as unbearably mediocre as Melancholy. NARUTOxHINATA 4 LYFE!!!