News:

Be sure to tell your friends about NinSheetMusic!

Main Menu

What Instrment(s) Do you play?

Started by JazzBassoon, February 21, 2009, 09:00:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What Instrment(s) Do you play?

Piccolo
3 (4%)
Flute
11 (14.7%)
Oboe/ English Horn
2 (2.7%)
Clarinet
10 (13.3%)
Bass Clarinet
3 (4%)
E- Flat Clarinet
1 (1.3%)
Bassoon
2 (2.7%)
Contrabassoon
0 (0%)
Alto Sax
11 (14.7%)
Tenor Sax
6 (8%)
Bari Sax
4 (5.3%)
French Horn
3 (4%)
Trumpet
7 (9.3%)
Trombone
4 (5.3%)
Tuba
3 (4%)
Euphonium/ Baritone
4 (5.3%)
Violin
13 (17.3%)
Viola
3 (4%)
Cello
6 (8%)
Double Bass
3 (4%)
Harp (Stringed
3 (4%)
Piano
67 (89.3%)
Timpani
6 (8%)
Percussion
14 (18.7%)
Other
24 (32%)

Total Members Voted: 75

MaestroUGC

Quote from: ALPRAS on June 24, 2009, 07:57:25 AM
Quote from: MaestroUGC on June 22, 2009, 11:30:52 PMPiano, self taught, 3 years, Virtuoso flare and ambition, but moderate ability...the first pice I learned was Liszt's 6th Hungarian Rhapsody, took 6 months to learn...

You're crazy! Im in the piano 8th grade (last one) and even for me is very hard to play... Still, Ive learned it in 1,5 week.
You should play easier songs (not easy songs, just easier) because playing harder pieces than your skills only will create problems. Not only in techniques, but also physical problems, like in your wrists, hands, arms, and fingers... Ive open my wrist playing the last theme of that Rhapsody, because of the sucessive 8vas in the RH. So, be careful with yourself  ;)

Trust me, I took it very slow on that piece, I know my limits. But I prefer playing the harder pieces, and I actually know the proper techniques to play. So don't worry about me, besides, I'm a singer before a pianist.
Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.

SirIngusBingus

QuoteI'm a singer before a pianist.

GAH

MaestroUGC

Cobraroll

^Well, by the look of your arrangement and apparent piano skills, we all assumed that "This guy must be seriously dedicated to piano playing"

Then you come tell us that piano is a sort of side-hobby. Now we wonder why we haven't heard about you before. If you're even better at singing than piano, and manage to combine those skills, you'll reach far.
Emergence - a story exclusive to NSM

Yes, I'm still around from time to time. For quicker response, you can reach me by PM, or drop by Smogon to say hi. I go by "Codraroll" there, because of a bet.

MaestroUGC

Quote from: Cobraroll on June 26, 2009, 07:21:18 AM^Well, by the look of your arrangement and apparent piano skills, we all assumed that "This guy must be seriously dedicated to piano playing"

Then you come tell us that piano is a sort of side-hobby. Now we wonder why we haven't heard about you before. If you're even better at singing than piano, and manage to combine those skills, you'll reach far.
Maybe I'm just talented. But I have combined my skills towards writing some more serious compsitions; symphonies, concertos, etc.

SuperFireKirby

I hate Finale Notepad so fucking much. Whats the best software for composing?

Quote from: Mashi on March 26, 2013, 05:54:37 PMAfter viewing both FMA:Brotherhood and Naruto Shippuden, it would be frivolous to even consider watching an anime as unbearably mediocre as Melancholy. NARUTOxHINATA 4 LYFE!!!

SirIngusBingus

Shadoninja

Quote from: SuperFireKirby on June 26, 2009, 11:33:18 AMI hate Finale Notepad so fucking much. Whats the best software for composing?
pencil and paper.
"And so my saga of quoting myself in everyone's signature continues" - dudeman

ALPRAS

Quote from: Shadoninja on June 28, 2009, 07:14:00 PM
Quote from: SuperFireKirby on June 26, 2009, 11:33:18 AMI hate Finale Notepad so fucking much. Whats the best software for composing?
pencil and paper.

So much true...

Try to use Finale 2009 or Sibelius. Bee clever and dont buy it. Just download it via torrent.
Here, download it

Quote from: MaestroUGC on June 25, 2009, 08:45:05 PMTrust me, I took it very slow on that piece, I know my limits. But I prefer playing the harder pieces, and I actually know the proper techniques to play. So don't worry about me, besides, I'm a singer before a pianist.

its good to take every music slow, even the basic ones. Maybe you think that you have the proper technique to play it, but trust me, you can learn you piano teachers more than you think. Its impossible to learn all the techniques with self-taught training, no offense.
Of course that everyones loves/try to play the harder pieces, but you have to "tame" yourself, because talent isnt everything... Believe me, I dont wanna be coxy, but everyone says that I have a great talent for piano and composition, mostly my teachers, but to increase your talent, you'll need to know EVERYTHING. You should have piano lessons. You'll understand better what I saying.

MaestroUGC

I understand what you're saying, and I know I need lessons, but actual teachers have given me compliments on my technique and are amazed tat the fact that I'm self taught. What I'm really worried about are theory lessons.

And on the software topic, I can't tell you how many pieces I've written on paper, but it's an amazing feeling to have when you finish writing a piece by hand.

Nana1Popo2

im self taught, and im pretty happy with it.....

however, i only play for personal and others' enjoyment...

but i have to say, it could be nice not to have to memorize your music in order to play it  ::) but if i do memorize it, i can play it anywhere i go...

do u guys usually memorize your music in order to play it? or do u generally play while looking at the music?
Kappa Kappa Psi, National Honorary Band Fraternity; ASU Alumnus '16; DCP '16

MaestroUGC

GreekGeek

Quote from: Nana1Popo2 on July 01, 2009, 10:16:38 PMdo u guys usually memorize your music in order to play it? or do u generally play while looking at the music?
The first one.

Quote from: MaestroUGC on July 01, 2009, 07:52:17 PMWhat I'm really worried about are theory lessons.
You can't perform other than solo if you don't know any theory. Please take some theory lessons, I'm sure you'll find them very useful.

Quote from: MaestroUGC on July 01, 2009, 07:52:17 PMAnd on the software topic, I can't tell you how many pieces I've written on paper, but it's an amazing feeling to have when you finish writing a piece by hand.
It might be amazing, but it takes so much time and it's better to compose it on the computer, so you can hear it with the proper instruments. And btw, please torrent Sibelius 5! Best program ever. Seriously.

ALPRAS

Quote from: GreekGeek on July 01, 2009, 11:51:21 PMIt might be amazing, but it takes so much time and it's better to compose it on the computer, so you can hear it with the proper instruments.

Harder the work, bigger the self-satisfaction