News:

See you space cowboy...

Main Menu

Anime and Manga suggestions.

Started by The-Real-Link, January 24, 2009, 11:39:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EFitTrainr

Quote from: Bubbles on September 11, 2013, 11:53:32 AMAnd Jompa, my phone tries to autocorrect your name to "honor"

Zuko is dat u
I like food.

Jompa

I just finished "Dance in the Vampire Bund", and it was better than most Supernatural Romance animes I've seen, and it was especially good considering it was about vampires n stuff (cause we all have a bad impression of vampire love stories). Even though it wasn't really a high budget "quality show", it was extremely captivating, and I watched it all in one go pretty much. It was damn short (12 episodes), but it will probably get a second season.
It is only an adaption, from the manga of the same name.

So as I said, it was good in general, but:
It did have some bad sides though - actually, more bad sides than average.

Music wasn't anything mentionable - the op was kinda cool, but y'know, it was Pop so...

Animation was pretty good, but at times pretty bad - they obviously just did the exact same thing as the manga did - and where the manga screwed up, the anime screwed up worse. And since they tried to copy the manga, the animation mostly consisted of still images with only the mouths moving etc. It wasn't too bad, but y'know if you care a lot about the animation you'd probably hate it.

The dubbing cast, which is one of my favorite factors of a show, was ok:

Monica Rial - she has WAY too many main roles, and this is one of them - yes, she is like one of the most talented voice actors in the universe, but I've grown tired of hearing her in every single show where the main character is a loli (she's trying to steal Hilary Haag's spot). some notable shows she's been the main in are Air, Deadman Wonderland, Ef, Infinite Stratos, High school of the Dead, Penguindrum, Michiko to Hatchin and AKB0048.

Eric Vale - this guy has been in a lot, okay. But his voice is so little unique, there are no special traits with it! I wouldn't be able to recognize his voice, seriously! I have heard him in lots of other anime too, but only once as the main role. He was Karasuma in School Rumble, that's all the relation I have to him pretty much..

Alexis Tipton - she's kinda like Eric Vale to me - hasn't been main in much, and I only remember her as the main in one role (I didn't even finish that show) - she was Musubi in Sekirei. Her voice is nothing special at all. Her performance in this show too was pretty lame.

So in my opinion the main cast is not that good.
But there are more names involved in the dubbing, and they are what make my opinion of the cast better. These include Cherami Leigh, Colleen Clinkenbeard, Greg Ayres, Jamie Marci, Leah Clark, Jerry Jewell, J. Michael Tatum and Christopher Sabat.
These are all people I've heard before, and I think they performed well in this dub, better than Eric Vale and Alexis Tipton.

The plot was pretty cool (for being about vampires), but whenever the story needed some new action, it introduced some of the dumbest plot twists possible. It didn't live up to the potential it had.
It was also hard to understand the motives of most of the characters. The story had loads of holes. Loads.
You never really understood everything though. The setting and how everything worked. I guess that was the worst part about the show. If that's how bad it was in the manga, then the show's not really to blame, but I wouldn't know.
Another thing that's important too, is that there was almost no closure at the end - as long as they make another season, this is fine - but if they don't, it'll end up like the Deadman Wonderland adaption. And that would be pretty bad:/

It was definitely entertaining, no doubt about that, but I'm left with mixed feelings afterwards. Actually, the feeling I'm sitting with right now is "why did they bother making that?", and that's a pretty bad feeling.
I guess I would recommend it; enjoyment is not guarantied though, but I have experienced that most people like these kinda shows better than I do. So why not try it out? I mean, the title is kinda cool don't you think? But if you have time to spend, there are better animes out there.
Birdo for Smash

Jompa

I'm having the biggest hangover from of "The World God Only Knows: Megami-hen" right now.. D:
Birdo for Smash

Dude

finished Free!

The ending was cornier than etf's hometown.

Jompa

I thought the end was good, in contrast to my first thoughts
Birdo for Smash

Bubbles

It was still pretty corny though. I think they managed to end every problem with a happy ending

Pit0010

i haven't watched the last episode of Free yet! DDDD:
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on January 15, 2015, 07:20:41 PM
AUSSI
"Sorry to keep you waiting!'
~Pit, Kid Icarus Uprising ♥

Me youtube channel!: http://www.youtube.com/user/Pit0030

Jompa

I often just pick up some anime that recently got out dubbed, and I just now did so with the anime "We Without Wings". It's an adaption from a visual novel. I wasn't really expecting much from it, but I had heard that it was really good.
Idk, I really love visual novel romances (who doesn't?), but when I started watching it... ...I didn't get anything. Like, how could this have been a romance visual novel? And what's the deal with having several unrelated male protagonists?!?!
But for some reason (y'know, visual novel fan-service (shut up)), I continued watching past the first couple of episodes, and that's when everything REALLY gets good. It's such a mind-fuck, and it really make you realize stuff you got to know early in the story, many episodes later. There are literally THOUSANDS of hints, and you just feel amazing when you remember back at them!

I can't say too much more, because this show is waaay to easy to spoil - I'll just say that the plot, is AMAZING! Not the most complex plot ever, but the way it is presented to us is so gradual and clever that when every little question is answered, it feels like you just unraveled a huge mystery - I feel VERY much like I did when I was watching Higurashi.
My mind is totally blown! Such a smart story, jesus christ.

Just don't ever look up anything about this show on beforehand --> I think I accidentally spoiled myself like three times..

Also, there's a lot of, y'know, nudity and stuff in this one.. but it's only bad in the first episodes! It gets way more stable later on.
Birdo for Smash

Pit0010

I started reading Claymore.

WOW....PRETTY GOOD SO FAR :{O
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on January 15, 2015, 07:20:41 PM
AUSSI
"Sorry to keep you waiting!'
~Pit, Kid Icarus Uprising ♥

Me youtube channel!: http://www.youtube.com/user/Pit0030

SlowPokemon

At the suggestion of a friend (who I really want to date), I'm watching Kokoro Connect and after viewing the first two episodes I'd say it's very very good xD the characters are great. I hope it stays good. Have you seen it, Jompa?
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

Jompa

I've seen it twice actually, and now that it's out dubbed I'm watching it again - but I'm waiting for the last four episodes to come out though.

It is very good! I'd say it was the highlight of that season - though sadly, many people hate/boycott the show, because of some bullying incident between the cast that made it on the internet.
Are you watching it dubbed or subbed?If you're watching it dubbed, you'll have to wait till December for the last episodes to get out.
Birdo for Smash

SlowPokemon

Watching subbed. I just finished episode four and it made me cry xD
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

Jompa

Taichi's "confession" in episode four is the best thing in the universe. Inaba's too, haha
Birdo for Smash

SuperFireKirby

I'm through episode 10 of SOA. So far, I definitely think you're exaggerating the drop in quality Jompa. It's somewhat noticeable, but not so much that the show isn't still very enjoyable.

Quote from: Mashi on March 26, 2013, 05:54:37 PMAfter viewing both FMA:Brotherhood and Naruto Shippuden, it would be frivolous to even consider watching an anime as unbearably mediocre as Melancholy. NARUTOxHINATA 4 LYFE!!!

Jompa

hahah just wait, you're still in the Aincrad arc <- at least there was a story at this point.
Don't forget, you're not even halfway through, so there's still plenty of time for that show to become the worst thing you've seen ;)
Birdo for Smash