News:

Don't forget to submit your daily replacement!

Main Menu

Static's Aquatic Update Project Sheets

Started by Static, June 19, 2024, 08:15:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Static

[PC] Rabbit & Steel - "Emerald Lakeside - Action"
[MID] [MUS] [MUSX] [PDF]
VGMdb info here

[MUL] Persona 5 - "Ark"
[MID] [MUS] [MUSX] [PDF]
VGMdb info here

Latios212

Ark

boat

- Do you think a courtesy Gn would help in m. 10/14/18?
- Is there any reason for the specific duration of the chord in m. 12? Could be simplified a bit
- Do you think the upper C# is necessary in the chords in m. 23-26? I find it distracts from the A/G# movement a bit, and I'm not sure I hear the major seventh that prominently here
- I'm not sure how I feel about m. 1-8 / 31-42 being a ton of repeated material, but there's nothing wrong with it I suppose haha
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Static

Quote from: Latios212 on June 20, 2024, 03:54:19 PM- Do you think a courtesy Gn would help in m. 10/14/18?
I feel like it's simple enough to be fine either way, but it couldn't hurt. I feel like it'd look weird to put one in m22 though since the bottom octave wouldn't have it... and if it did that also seems weird to me.

Quote from: Latios212 on June 20, 2024, 03:54:19 PM- Is there any reason for the specific duration of the chord in m. 12? Could be simplified a bit
Mostly visual consistency, to match m9, but also because I wanted to fill out m12 with the chord so it didn't sound too empty there.

Quote from: Latios212 on June 20, 2024, 03:54:19 PM- Do you think the upper C# is necessary in the chords in m. 23-26? I find it distracts from the A/G# movement a bit, and I'm not sure I hear the major seventh that prominently here
I hear the C# rather prominently in those measures so I wanted to include it. It's a climactic moment of the piece and I think it sounds better with the whole chord filled out there.

Quote from: Latios212 on June 20, 2024, 03:54:19 PM- I'm not sure how I feel about m. 1-8 / 31-42 being a ton of repeated material, but there's nothing wrong with it I suppose haha
I was thinking about that too, but I'd say the track itself is as repetitive, and I wanted to emphasize the driving rhythm there. I can't really adjust the timbre of the RH part to mimic the synth oscillation, but I thought the the octave shift up with 4ths in m4-8 and 35-42 help build intensity a bit, along with the more pronounced hits on beats 2/4 in the LH.

Thanks for taking a look!

Latios212

Ark

Quote from: Static on June 20, 2024, 06:38:15 PMI feel like it's simple enough to be fine either way, but it couldn't hurt. I feel like it'd look weird to put one in m22 though since the bottom octave wouldn't have it... and if it did that also seems weird to me.
Yep either way works, I think this looks fine with them. Agreed about 22 not needing them, it's more useful in the other measures where beat 1 looks like it could be the same chord as the prior measure.

I have nothing else to add to your comments above; everything else sounds good. Have our first approval!

You cannot view this attachment.

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Latios212

Emerald Lakeside - Action

This song is amazing I've listened to it a lot since you initially shared it haha

- m. 13/21/45/53 - not sure about the A/C#, sounds maybe more like F#m7/C#?
- m. 25 last bass note - sounds like C#
- m. 60 - should the lowest augmentation dot here be in its normal position?
- m. 68 - I think this last chord should be tied over to the next measure
- m. 72 last bass note - sounds like E

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Static

Quote from: Latios212 on June 29, 2024, 07:37:41 PMThis song is amazing I've listened to it a lot since you initially shared it haha
This one's certainly a standout in the OST... and coincidentally the only one that fits the theme of this project, so it's the perfect choice

Quote from: Latios212 on June 29, 2024, 07:37:41 PM- m. 13/21/45/53 - not sure about the A/C#, sounds maybe more like F#m7/C#?
Yes that's right, when I wrote the chord symbols I overlooked the F# in m3 and continued to copy/paste that throughout... It's fixed now, along with a few other incorrect chord symbols.

Quote from: Latios212 on June 29, 2024, 07:37:41 PM- m. 25 last bass note - sounds like C#
Fixed

Quote from: Latios212 on June 29, 2024, 07:37:41 PM- m. 60 - should the lowest augmentation dot here be in its normal position?
Ah yeah, I used the Split Stem Tool for that and it doesn't account for the dot spacing. Fixed

Quote from: Latios212 on June 29, 2024, 07:37:41 PM- m. 68 - I think this last chord should be tied over to the next measure
I was considering this (as well as extending the length of melody notes such as m11 beat 4.5, etc.), but decided against it because the new chord hit lands on beat 1 of m69, not on beat 4.5 with the melody. The melody is extended a bit in all of those places, but it sounds more like a stylistic/vocal inflection sort of thing than a deliberate extension of those notes.

Quote from: Latios212 on June 29, 2024, 07:37:41 PM- m. 72 last bass note - sounds like E
Also fixed

Thanks for checking!

Latios212

Quote from: Static on June 30, 2024, 07:34:29 PMI was considering this (as well as extending the length of melody notes such as m11 beat 4.5, etc.), but decided against it because the new chord hit lands on beat 1 of m69, not on beat 4.5 with the melody. The melody is extended a bit in all of those places, but it sounds more like a stylistic/vocal inflection sort of thing than a deliberate extension of those notes.
Ah yeah when I was listening yesterday I thought this one was sustained noticeably longer, but looking again perhaps it isn't; fine to keep as is. I agree in the other places.

The rest of the changes look good! One last thing I just noticed now before I approve here, the rhythm of the melody changes in m. 53 from previous iterations.

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Static

Quote from: Latios212 on June 30, 2024, 07:49:48 PMThe rest of the changes look good! One last thing I just noticed now before I approve here, the rhythm of the melody changes in m. 53 from previous iterations.
Got it

Latios212

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Bloop

Ark
This looks really solid! Only thing I was wondering is how you were intending the player to play the extra layer in m19-20 and m23-26. Do you want them to use a pedal here? If so, you could add a few pedal marks to be sure.